Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring of Dependant Child - Knightsbridge DMP refusing to conduct up-front medica

Sponsoring of Dependant Child - Knightsbridge DMP refusing to conduct up-front medica

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Angry Sponsoring of Dependant Child - Knightsbridge DMP refusing to conduct up-front medica

I've lived in Canada for over six years and am now a Canadian Citizen.

This year I successfully sponsored my 17 year old son for permanent residency, without any hiccups....

My daughter who is 20 years old and is in full time education (studying at Oxford University) has now decided she wants to move over after she finishes university next year.

I have read all the CIC requirements, and she qualifies as a dependant under two of the three criteria, and is eligible for me to sponsor her under family class (both my children had medicals when I emigrated, even though they were not accompanying at that time).

As part of the family class application, my daughter has to submit an up-front medical, and she contacted the Knightsbridge DMP in this respect. They are, however, refusing to do the medical as they say they have spoken to their contact at the CHC and they have advised she is not a dependant child and would only class as a dependant child if I was being sponsored by a spouse!!!

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! Obviously my daughter is very stressed and upset!

I have emailed the DMP in question, and copied and pasted the relevant sections of the family class application requirements to them, and am waiting to hear back from them.

This is the most convenient clinic for her to attend, but if they refuse I guess we will have no choice but to try and find one that will perform the medical.

I'm very concerned about the information provided to the DMP by their contact at the CHC, and worried that another DMP will also refuse her, due to incorrect interpretation of the requirements!!

I know I should wait and see what happens, but wondered if anyone had any advise about what else we can do......

Last edited by Little D; Aug 13th 2013 at 7:48 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring of Dependant Child - Knightsbridge DMP refusing to conduct up-front me

I'm wondering if it's because of the age of dependency being lowered, after which she won't be classed as a dependent child any longer? Maybe that's why CIC have said she's not a dependent.

Personally I'd just go to another DMP, and preferably asap so that you can apply before the change!

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 13th 2013 at 8:24 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sponsoring of Dependant Child - Knightsbridge DMP refusing to conduct up-front me

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm wondering if it's because of the age of dependency being lowered, after which she won't be classed as a dependent child any longer? Maybe that's why CIC have said she's not a dependent.

Personally I'd just go to another DMP, and preferably asap so that you can apply before the change!

Good luck.
Thanks christmasoompa, I'm going to call the Brentwood clinic tomorrow and try to book her in there....fingers crossed!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little D
Thanks christmasoompa, I'm going to call the Brentwood clinic tomorrow and try to book her in there....fingers crossed!

There you go! Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finally found a DMP in the south of England that understands Family Class. She's booked into Maidenhead. They were extremely helpful, answer their phones (unlike Brentwood), and fully understood what she needs.

The thing I find concerning, after a conversation I had with the Knightsbridge clinic, is them telling me that a child was only classed as a dependant, if it was my spouse's child. That I could sponsor my spouse's child, but not my own.....!!

Oh well, it's all booked now, and is all we are waiting for before submitting the application. Hopefully the rest of the process will go as smoothly as my son's sponsorship!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:44 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Finally found a DMP in the south of England that understands Family Class. She's booked into Maidenhead. They were extremely helpful, answer their phones (unlike Brentwood), and fully understood what she needs.

The thing I find concerning, after a conversation I had with the Knightsbridge clinic, is them telling me that a child was only classed as a dependant, if it was my spouse's child. That I could sponsor my spouse's child, but not my own.....!!

Oh well, it's all booked now, and is all we are waiting for before submitting the application. Hopefully the rest of the process will go as smoothly as my son's sponsorship!
I am only guessing on this, but they might be assuming that if you're the Canadian that your child is automatically Canadian. Not necessarily the case, but they might be making that assumption. But that's only a guess!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I am only guessing on this, but they might be assuming that if you're the Canadian that your child is automatically Canadian. Not necessarily the case, but they might be making that assumption. But that's only a guess!
That's what I initially thought, but I told them I was a naturalized Canadian, and landed as a permanent resident five years ago. They told me that only spouses and their dependant children could be sponsored, and that they had checked this out with CHC who advised them against performing a medical on my daughter?!?

I'd be interested to know who at CHC is giving out incorrect information!

At least Maidenhead knows what they're doing, and have been really helpful! They get my recommendation!!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 2:58 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I initially thought, but I told them I was a naturalized Canadian, and landed as a permanent resident five years ago. They told me that only spouses and their dependant children could be sponsored, and that they had checked this out with CHC who advised them against performing a medical on my daughter?!?

I'd be interested to know who at CHC is giving out incorrect information!

At least Maidenhead knows what they're doing, and have been really helpful! They get my recommendation!!
You're assuming that they did indeed contact someone at CIC! To me sounds like something a receptionist might say to fob you off and get you out of their hair.

Glad you've found somewhere to help though
Old Aug 16th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
You're assuming that they did indeed contact someone at CIC! To me sounds like something a receptionist might say to fob you off and get you out of their hair.

Glad you've found somewhere to help though
I think you could've hit the nail on the head Zoe!!

Luckily from reading this fantastic forum over the last few years, I've become pretty good at negotiating the CIC website minefield, and wasn't going to take no for an answer. I hope there isn't any other family out there that has been given this bad information!