Splitting time Canada & UK

Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

buzzz56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Splitting time Canada & UK

I have visited Canada many times to see family and intend buying a property in the Collingwood, Ont. Is it feasible that I can spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the UK every year? I do not intend to seek employment in Canada.

Thanks

Buzzz
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Splitting time Canada & UK

Originally Posted by buzzz56
I have visited Canada many times to see family and intend buying a property in the Collingwood, Ont. Is it feasible that I can spend 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the UK every year? I do not intend to seek employment in Canada.

Thanks

Buzzz
Experts will be along soon. I think your plan is probably feasible, but risky too. It's my understanding that six month visits by UK citizens, while normal, are not actually a right if the immigration officer at point of entry deems that the visit is not a bone fide visit. It's possible (I believe) that you might be deemed to be abusing the spirit of the law if you spent (one day less than) six months here year after year.

Also, you'd likely have to run all the financial stuff from the UK (mortgage if necessary, credit cards, etc).

To repeat, I'm no expert, but check this out very carefully before making a commitment.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks Novacastrian for you comments.

We are only trying to cater for the two families we have(brothers in Canada and son/daughter in UK) and spend as much time with each as possible. It doesnt have to be 6 months it could be a little less. We would like to buy a place as we value our independance and could possibly rent it out when we are not there.

We are pretty much financially sorted and would not need to work, although we are both fluent in English and French (whether that would help our cause I am not sure).

Anyway the main point is that we would like to spend significant time in Canada every year, that is 3 months minimum but up to 6 months.We would also be happy to spend some time in the States if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from the "Experts" when they rise!!

Cheers

Buzzz
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

loads and loads of folk do this just be sure to have proof of funds and comprehensive medical insurance just in case you are asked( highly unlikely)

obviuosly no confrimed right to enter canada but if you dont look dodgy and you are a brit the chances of any problems are next to zero

in the village where I live a third of the population are from out of canada and spend 6 months here every year and have done so for decades
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say running bank accounts savings etc is simple pimple just switch everything to online accounts its a doddle
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving this to the Immigration forum where the experts hang out, the Maple Leaf is for off-topic banter.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm moving this to the Immigration forum where the experts hang out, the Maple Leaf is for off-topic banter.
Sorry Biiiiiink, I must admit I wasnt sure where to post in the first instance as I dont want to emmigrate so thought better of putting it on the Immigration section.

Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chumley
loads and loads of folk do this just be sure to have proof of funds and comprehensive medical insurance just in case you are asked( highly unlikely)

obviuosly no confrimed right to enter canada but if you dont look dodgy and you are a brit the chances of any problems are next to zero

in the village where I live a third of the population are from out of canada and spend 6 months here every year and have done so for decades
Well that sounds very positive Chumley thanks, especially as I dont believe I look too dodgy!!!! Also I already carry out all my banking online so that will be no problem.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:56 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

There is not a problem to be a seasonal resident (visitor) in Canada for up to 6 months and have here a secondary residence - as long as you have evidence of having primary residence in home country. You will also be allowed to bring some settlers effects duty free.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
There is not a problem to be a seasonal resident (visitor) in Canada for up to 6 months and have here a secondary residence - as long as you have evidence of having primary residence in home country. You will also be allowed to bring some settlers effects duty free.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html
Thanks Andrew for the useful link.

Final question What would constitute evidence of primary residence? Upto date mortgage statement, solicitors letter???
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:03 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As much evidence as possible proving existence of primary residence and the fact that it is maintained and used as such.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

we carried a council tax bill and a water rates bill nothing else and nothing whatsoever was asked for but best be safe and take something just in case.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any issue with income tax doing the 6 month thing - plus, if anyone has worked it out, do you pay more tax in Canada or the UK on, for example, £10,000 per year income. And how would you sort out the 'taxable' amount you would pay in Canada with the £ / $Cad fluctuating throughout the year.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macmike41
Is there any issue with income tax doing the 6 month thing - plus, if anyone has worked it out, do you pay more tax in Canada or the UK on, for example, £10,000 per year income. And how would you sort out the 'taxable' amount you would pay in Canada with the £ / $Cad fluctuating throughout the year.
I would not be working in Canada so no tax to pay. There may be tax on any rental income though.