Speeding up a PR card

Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding up a PR card

Hi ,
reading the CIC Canada website,it mentions the possibility of speeding up the processing time for a PR card if travel out of Canada is imminent,has anyone ever tried expediating their card this way,
thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all
Default Re: Speeding up a PR card

Not personally, but I've certainly read others who've done it and it's worked. You need to provide them proof of travel dates, and I'm not sure if they can do it if the application is already sent - you may need to send it again. Call the call centre.

Remember if you're visa-exempt (UK citizens are) you don't actually need the PR card to get back in. You can board the flight back to Canada with your UK passport, and when you arrive show them either the expired PR card, or your COPR document. They can verify your status in the computer system. As long as you've clearly maintained the residency obligation, you're fine - just tell them you applied for the new PR card and it didn't arrive yet. Expect a detour into immigration secondary, but you'd be allowed in just fine once they verify you in FOSS.

The only problem would be if you're boarding the flight on a 1-way ticket and they ask questions. Technically the airline could refuse to board you (unlikely but possible)... once you arrive in Canada you're fine.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've known someone personally who had to did this and it worked out fine for them, they got it in around 3 weeks. That was 3 or 4 months ago.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I've known someone personally who had to did this and it worked out fine for them, they got it in around 3 weeks. That was 3 or 4 months ago.
I did this in March with travel booked for June. I received my card within 3 weeks following the expedited-I've-got-flights-booked process on the CIC website.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

zac stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks gentlemen !
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

My wife and daughter got their PR cards in 3 weeks without asking for expedited service.

Depending on what passport you have, where you are traveling and even how you are traveling, a PR card may be more or less important.

Canadian Immigration officers are also good at noticing the crossed out PR visa in the passport. Not proof of anything, but it helps.