SOWP at POE

Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

bilal82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOWP at POE

Dear All,

Hoping the BE members can assist me on this. My OH and I are moving to Calgary in a couple of weeks, where I shall be studying for a Master's program. I am NOT from a visa exempt country and have already been approved for my study permit. I had included my spouse as my dependent and she has been issued a Temporary Resident Visa for the same time frame as my Study Permit.

Since I shall be receiving my Study permit at the port of entry, I would like to know whether we can apply for my spouse's open work permit at the POE as well. The other option is for my spouse to come in as a visitor and then apply for a change of condition, but that can take almost 3 months. I would very much like to apply for her work permit at the POE, but am nervous about how the immigration officer will view the fact that she now intends to work when she had previously only applied as a visitor.

Has anyone already done this at the POE? Any help is most appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:34 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOWP at POE

Hi

Originally Posted by bilal82
Dear All,

Hoping the BE members can assist me on this. My OH and I are moving to Calgary in a couple of weeks, where I shall be studying for a Master's program. I am NOT from a visa exempt country and have already been approved for my study permit. I had included my spouse as my dependent and she has been issued a Temporary Resident Visa for the same time frame as my Study Permit.

Since I shall be receiving my Study permit at the port of entry, I would like to know whether we can apply for my spouse's open work permit at the POE as well. The other option is for my spouse to come in as a visitor and then apply for a change of condition, but that can take almost 3 months. I would very much like to apply for her work permit at the POE, but am nervous about how the immigration officer will view the fact that she now intends to work when she had previously only applied as a visitor.

Has anyone already done this at the POE? Any help is most appreciated. Thanks
Apply at the Port of Entry.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

bilal82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear PMM,

Thanks for your response. That is what I am planning to do. However, the CIC website says that only visitors from countries that are visa-exempt can apply at the POE. Is this something I should be worried about? Are there any cons to applying at the POE? What documents should I have available to apply for my spouse's open work permit?

Thanks, and I appreciate your response.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by bilal82
Dear PMM,

Thanks for your response. That is what I am planning to do. However, the CIC website says that only visitors from countries that are visa-exempt can apply at the POE. Is this something I should be worried about? Are there any cons to applying at the POE? What documents should I have available to apply for my spouse's open work permit?

Thanks, and I appreciate your response.
If your wife is accompanying you, she will have a TRV. You shouldn't worry, it is much quicker than if your spouse applies while she is in Canada as it would be through Vegreville and the at the present the processing time is 65 days.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also going through the same situation but when my wife applied for the Study permit, we had different plans and I thought I would stay in UK and she will go to Canada for study. So, we have mentioned that I wont be going to canada with her.

Now things changed, I am planning to accompany her, I have a TRV, if I request for a SOWP at the Port of entry will it be ok?

Members pls advise.