SOWP application questions

Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

bilal82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOWP application questions

Dear All,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a few questions I have regarding the application for my spouse's open work permit. I have recently been accepted into a Master's program in Calgary. I am going to apply for my Study Permit within the next few days hopefully. I am somewhat confused as to whether I should apply for my wife's SOWP along with our application for a Study permit. I have read that some people have received the SOWP at the POE.

I am not sure which route to take for the SOWP. The CIC website only has information for applying after arriving in Canada using a change of status application. I couldn't find any information on the CIC website regarding application for SOWP along with my study permit application. I am also concerned about whether applying for the SOWP will delay the issuance of my Study permit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

kingswaydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SOWP application questions

You will have to apply for it with your study permit.If you dont send the open work permit they will return your application.same thing happened to us.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bilal82
Dear All,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a few questions I have regarding the application for my spouse's open work permit. I have recently been accepted into a Master's program in Calgary. I am going to apply for my Study Permit within the next few days hopefully. I am somewhat confused as to whether I should apply for my wife's SOWP along with our application for a Study permit. I have read that some people have received the SOWP at the POE.

I am not sure which route to take for the SOWP. The CIC website only has information for applying after arriving in Canada using a change of status application. I couldn't find any information on the CIC website regarding application for SOWP along with my study permit application. I am also concerned about whether applying for the SOWP will delay the issuance of my Study permit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi,

Me and my family did this. We applied for study permits for my husband and two young children together with an open work permit for myself. We applied all at the same time and it took 6 weeks to the day for the issuance of the same. If you have any further questions regarding the forms don't hestiate to contact me.

Hope this helps.

Tracy
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks Tracy,

Can you tell me which application you used for the open work permit? I'm assuming it's just the regular work permit application because I haven't seen anything specific for open work permits.

Secondly, how does the fee structure work here? Since it's just my wife and I, do I pay a fee for 2 persons on my study permit and then pay for one person on the work permit application?

Thanks once again.

Bilal
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bilal82
Thanks Tracy,

Can you tell me which application you used for the open work permit? I'm assuming it's just the regular work permit application because I haven't seen anything specific for open work permits.

Secondly, how does the fee structure work here? Since it's just my wife and I, do I pay a fee for 2 persons on my study permit and then pay for one person on the work permit application?

Thanks once again.

Bilal

Hi Bilal,

I have PM'd you.

Take care,
Tracy
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks Tracy,

Apparently I need at least 3 posts to be able to access PMs. So here goes...
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

mokhtari_ir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracywall
Hi Bilal,

I have PM'd you.

Take care,
Tracy
Hi,

Could you please post your reply here as well as I have exactly the same question.

Thanks,
Soli
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mokhtari_ir
Hi,

Could you please post your reply here as well as I have exactly the same question.

Thanks,
Soli

You just use the normal work permit application. In section 14 I put "I apply for open work permit as a spouse of study permit holder - my husband Andrew is applying for study permit"

With regards the fee structure you pay for 1 study permit and 1 work permit.

Don't forget to submit a study plan along with the study permit. Again if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. If you want me to send you a copy of our permits and stuff for you to use then give me your email address and I will send you the stuff.

Tracy
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

You just use the normal work permit application. In section 14 I put "I apply for open work permit as a spouse of study permit holder - my husband Andrew is applying for study permit"

With regards the fee structure you pay for 1 study permit and 1 work permit.

Don't forget to submit a study plan along with the study permit. Again if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. If you want me to send you a copy of our permits and stuff for you to use then give me your email address and I will send you the stuff.

Tracy
Thanks for the super fast answer!

Apparently I couldn't pm you, my email address is soheil [at] sky [.com].

Cheers,
Soli
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the super fast answer!

Apparently I couldn't pm you, my email address is soheil [at] sky [.com].

Cheers,
Soli
If you tell me your situation then I will be able to help you in more detail... I can't email the completed forms anymore as I don't have them... as you will see from my footer, we are pretty finished with the PR application and I haven't got the forms on my computer anymore.

I will help you where possible if you just tell me what you are stuck on.

Tracy
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

If you tell me your situation then I will be able to help you in more detail... I can't email the completed forms anymore as I don't have them... as you will see from my footer, we are pretty finished with the PR application and I haven't got the forms on my computer anymore.

I will help you where possible if you just tell me what you are stuck on.

Tracy
The most important one is the study plan as it should show that you really intend to leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Also do I have to submit original bank statement as it will take a long time (since it's an Internet Saving account) or u think they'll accept a balance confirmation letter from bank together with unofficial prints which I can print at home?

Btw, did u post a police certificate with your documents for the OWP?! if so, how can I get one?

Regards,
Soli
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

The most important one is the study plan as it should show that you really intend to leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Also do I have to submit original bank statement as it will take a long time (since it's an Internet Saving account) or u think they'll accept a balance confirmation letter from bank together with unofficial prints which I can print at home?

Btw, did u post a police certificate with your documents for the OWP?! if so, how can I get one?

Regards,
Soli

I have just emailed you a copy of our study plan and our cover letter to London. You should have all the info you need in the emai... if you need anything else then let me know

Good luck