Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Son 23 not coming with us does he need a medical

Son 23 not coming with us does he need a medical

Old May 8th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

claire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really nice
Default Son 23 not coming with us does he need a medical

Hi There

My son will not be coming with us. I included him 2 years ago when we applied but he is starting university in September and has no wish to come with us

I would like to know if he should have a medical, we have the medical forms and I have a medical booked for all 3 of us but now he is not coming is this required?

Any help much appreciated

Claire
Old May 8th 2008, 9:15 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Son 23 not coming with us does he need a medical

Originally Posted by claire600
Hi There

My son will not be coming with us. I included him 2 years ago when we applied but he is starting university in September and has no wish to come with us

I would like to know if he should have a medical, we have the medical forms and I have a medical booked for all 3 of us but now he is not coming is this required?

Any help much appreciated

Claire
Hi Clare, even if he's got no intention of going with you, it would be worth getting his medical done, he might change his mind in the future and it would make thing so much easier for him....he can still stay here and do his own thing if thats what he wants but it would be in his interest to have the medical done...you never know he might change his mind after 3 or 4 years at uni...Good Luck with the medicals, let us know how you get on..
Old May 8th 2008, 9:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabc0077
Hi Clare, even if he's got no intention of going with you, it would be worth getting his medical done, he might change his mind in the future and it would make thing so much easier for him

Why would it make things any easier in the future if he is no longer dependent at the time?

If he is still dependent now, then he should do the medicals anyway and "land" in Canada as a PR ... that looks to be the safest way to keep options open for a few years.
Old May 9th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice

Hi there
Can anyone define "dependent" in reference to a son who is 20 years old? I've looked through Wiki and the immigration site and it only refers to children who are still in full time study. Our son has just finished his course of study, and though he is working, is not financially independent. He still lives at home, and cannot afford to move out on his own. Would he be classed as dependent?
Old May 9th 2008, 6:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by elaine42
Hi there
Can anyone define "dependent" in reference to a son who is 20 years old? I've looked through Wiki and the immigration site and it only refers to children who are still in full time study. Our son has just finished his course of study, and though he is working, is not financially independent. He still lives at home, and cannot afford to move out on his own. Would he be classed as dependent?
He is a dependent as he is under the age of 22. Read the guide for skilled workers, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/ESap.pdf page 12
Old May 10th 2008, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

claire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really nice

Thank you for the advice. He is coming for the medical with us and then I hope he will visit us and land .... and then he will have the 3 years to come over if he decides to.

Thanks again

medicals on 19th May Croydon (scary)

Claire
Old May 11th 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice

Thanks PMM
I must have missed that bit!

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He is a dependent as he is under the age of 22. Read the guide for skilled workers, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/ESap.pdf page 12
Old May 11th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire600
Thank you for the advice. He is coming for the medical with us and then I hope he will visit us and land .... and then he will have the 3 years to come over if he decides to.

Claire
I would encourage him to come over during his summer vacations and maybe Easter as well. It would give him the chance to maybe explore canada a bit earn a bit of money, it would also count towards his residency requirement. Perhaps, if he has a placement year, Canada would also be an option. International work experience looks very good on a CV.

And maybe, if he does these things, he may change his mind.