Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sold house, left jobs, daughters school. No LMO! Could we get work permit??

Sold house, left jobs, daughters school. No LMO! Could we get work permit??

Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sold house, left jobs, daughters school. No LMO!

Hi all ,

Would be good to hear any other information/ experiences about LMOS, probably not much at the moment, but anything helps! :-)

Last edited by kate8kate0; Jul 16th 2014 at 9:31 am. Reason: grammar for clarity
Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sold house, left jobs, daughters school. No LMO! Could we get work permit??

Flipping 'eck. Sorry to use you as an example, but just for the sake of anybody else reading, that's why you should *never* do anything you can't undo until you actually have the LMO in hand. Tbh, even selling a house before you've got PR is a very risky move, as the name implies it's only a Temp Work Permit so no guarantee of being able to stay in Canada permanently.

With so many LMO's being refused at the moment (even before the changes, just due to the economic climate), the usual advice is to do nothing until you actually know you can move.

But to answer your question (and sorry for the above, but it really is useful as an example of why we often say on the forum to not do anything drastic until you've got a TWP or even PR!), probably the only thing you can do is get another job offer and LMIA. Unless by any chance you have another route to a visa, or either of you would qualify for a LMO exempt position i.e. an intra-company transfer?

Let us know your situation (jobs, skills, qualifications, province you wish to move to, kids, etc, etc) and we'll see if we can figure out a Plan B for you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sold house, left jobs, daughters school. No LMO! Could we get work permit??

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Flipping 'eck. Sorry to use you as an example, but just for the sake of anybody else reading, that's why you should *never* do anything you can't undo until you actually have the LMO in hand. Tbh, even selling a house before you've got PR is a very risky move, as the name implies it's only a Temp Work Permit so no guarantee of being able to stay in Canada permanently.

With so many LMO's being refused at the moment (even before the changes, just due to the economic climate), the usual advice is to do nothing until you actually know you can move.

But to answer your question (and sorry for the above, but it really is useful as an example of why we often say on the forum to not do anything drastic until you've got a TWP or even PR!), probably the only thing you can do is get another job offer and LMIA. Unless by any chance you have another route to a visa, or either of you would qualify for a LMO exempt position i.e. an intra-company transfer?

Let us know your situation (jobs, skills, qualifications, province you wish to move to, kids, etc, etc) and we'll see if we can figure out a Plan B for you.

Good luck.
Thanks christ
We thought we were doing what everyone was doing, just our luck!. But yep, if was to do it again, I wouldn't have timed everything to coincide with the lmo arrival. So we wait and and see..will keep you updated.

Derek has left the police and doing full time trucking now, only gcses between us; was hoping alberta, but now anywhere will do! I am a medical secretary (used to have a salon but closed down) , my daughter has been making little photo albums for her friends and saying goodbye! Ouch!

Still, remaining optimistic.

Last edited by kate8kate0; Jul 16th 2014 at 1:58 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

oh gosh. well I hope it works out for you.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:56 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

yes good luck, hope things work out for you
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Howefamily
yes good luck, hope things work out for you

Thank you guys
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

That was very .........

Brave of you!

I am waiting for my LMO, due tomorrow week and I have a buyer for my house, but won't be signing contracts until I get it. If I get a negative, it's on hold while I wait till the end of August, when my PNP should be in.

I think for future reference, the sensible thing would be to prepare for everything, but not to commit to anything until definite!

Hope it works out ok for you and best of luck.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I know thanks edd, thing was derek was asked out of the blue to give 3 months notice for his job if he wanted his career break, we didn't want truck company to have to wait for us

bit of good news last night though, and hearing of LMOs coming through, so let see, will keep you updated, hopefully with gooood news! feeling more optimistic

Last edited by kate8kate0; Jul 18th 2014 at 9:55 am. Reason: forgot quote
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate8kate0
I know thanks edd, thing was derek was asked out of the blue to give 3 months notice for his job if he wanted his career break, we didn't want truck company to have to wait for us

bit of good news last night though, and hearing of LMOs coming through, so let see, will keep you updated, hopefully with gooood news! feeling more optimistic
All the best kate8kate0

We are in a similar position, our house is up for sale and we are waiting for a positive outcome for our LMIA. From talking recently with my new employer in Canada they are positive that it will all go through.
We are looking at about mid September for ours to complete.

Again good luck mate
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happyhammers
All the best kate8kate0

We are in a similar position, our house is up for sale and we are waiting for a positive outcome for our LMIA. From talking recently with my new employer in Canada they are positive that it will all go through.
We are looking at about mid September for ours to complete.

Again good luck mate
Reading this just lifted me so much, hearing company positive lmia going through, thankyou for this, and good luck to you too.

I think its the very small companies that don't hire many foreign workers that are put off by the new reforms, well in our experience anyway with having those ones pull out. But many companies have lawyers that are dealing with it. And then again some don't have lawyers.. A company I spoke to last night, have applied for 15, they wouldn't pay the fee on '15' applications im reckoning, if they thought it wasn't worth it.. things are just getting better I feel, positives again at last. feel free to pm me on anything.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated

Last edited by kate8kate0; Jul 18th 2014 at 11:21 am.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sunryder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, you did what you did and you can't change it. Keep up the positive attitude. It will come right
Old Jul 18th 2014, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunryder
Hey, you did what you did and you can't change it. Keep up the positive attitude. It will come right
thanks so much mate :-) just really happy hearing positive things right now..cheers again