Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Soft landing now tourism is allowed again??

Soft landing now tourism is allowed again??

Old Sep 11th 2021, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

AvocadoSteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Soft landing now tourism is allowed again??

Hi folks - lurker turning into a forum-poster!

We (I and my family, with me as the principal applicant) have our CoPRs for Canada, which have been extended once due to Covid. They are now due to expire in early November 2021. We can't hard-land before then (house/school/kids/stuff to sort first) and so we've nearly accepted the idea the dream looks dead (and expensively dead ( ). BUT... now that tourism/discretionary travel to Canada is again possible, without quarantine for vaccinated travellers, there's still a shot of soft landing -- at least, we hope!

However, there's a contradiction in the info available that makes it very hard to commit to a soft landing. We really hope someone on the forum might have first-hand experience with it.

(I'm so new, i can't paste URLs, but am quoting from the IRCC site below.

The IRCC site still says to only come with a CoPR if you're...

> coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)

but the general travel advisory says we can come as tourists

> Fully vaccinated foreign nationals who meet the requirements of a fully vaccinated traveller can come to Canada.

So, we're wondering: the British Expats wiki (which dates more or less from the pre- and mid-covid era) suggests that it's _normally_ totally possible to rock up for a short visit to claim PR, but not settle + bring the list of good etc till later (for us, that part would be summer 2022).

However, now, given that discretionary travel is allowed, does it look basically sure/certain we can now soft land like things used to be, or are restrictions still likely to stop us? If we try to soft land, we'll have our two young kids with us, so we really don't want any surprises or hitches during what should be a quick family visit to Toronto, ideally.

Anyone who has current experience or knowledge of what we can legitimately do: please help! )

Cheers
Steve