skilled worker visa

Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future
Default skilled worker visa

My family and I want to move to Ontario but none of us have a diploma, although I have a trade as a Dental Technician which I have 15 years experience in I have no formal qualifications for this employment. Can I still go under the heading skilled visa? (with a job offer in place)

Thank you
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled worker visa

I think you need to have a good read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page).

Start with this article.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration and then read all about TWP's and SW visas.

To qualify as a SW you need to be Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC - I've just put 'dental technician' into it and it would appear you would be 3222 on the list. The good news is that this is on the Skill Level B so you would qualify for a SW visa once you have a job. The bad news however, is that it appears you need to do quite a bit of further training in Canada before you could get a job - have a look at the following page for info. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...de=3222&code=3

Also, read the article about 'Labour Shortages' as that will help a lot too - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages. To stand a good chance of getting a TWP for Canada, you need to find a province where your occupation is on the OUP list, and the Ontario one is incredibly short. Consequently, Ontario is the hardest province to find work in for immigrants so you might want to re-think your intended destination. Have a look at all the other OUP lists for other provinces, and see if Dental Technician is on any of them.

Alternatively, what does your other half do?? That might give you an easier option.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:38 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Start with this article.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration and then read all about TWP's and SW visas.

To qualify as a SW you need to be Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC - I've just put 'dental technician' into it and it would appear you would be 3222 on the list. The good news is that this is on the Skill Level B so you would qualify for a SW visa once you have a job. The bad news however, is that it appears you need to do quite a bit of further training in Canada before you could get a job - have a look at the following page for info. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...de=3222&code=3

Also, read the article about 'Labour Shortages' as that will help a lot too - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages. To stand a good chance of getting a TWP for Canada, you need to find a province where your occupation is on the OUP list, and the Ontario one is incredibly short. Consequently, Ontario is the hardest province to find work in for immigrants so you might want to re-think your intended destination. Have a look at all the other OUP lists for other provinces, and see if Dental Technician is on any of them.

Alternatively, what does your other half do?? That might give you an easier option.

cr*p it is possible to get a TWP on any job, providing your potential employer is able to obtain an LMO. Granted, it may be easier to find work if the job shows on the OUP list, but it certainly isn't impossible.

There are probably hundreds on this site alone that have obtained TWP on jobs that were not on the OUP list.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Charming! For future reference, it might be nicer to politely disagree with someone, rather than swearing at them.

Of course a TWP can be obtained if an occupation isn't on OUP list (my hubby's isn't on any and he's managed it), I completely agree with you. I just meant that it would give her the best chance possible.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Charming! For future reference, it might be nicer to politely disagree with someone, rather than swearing at them.

Of course a TWP can be obtained if an occupation isn't on OUP list (my hubby's isn't on any and he's managed it), I completely agree with you. I just meant that it would give her the best chance possible.
Thankyou for clarifying my point
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

georged is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: skilled worker visa

hello i am new to all this so please forgive,im a fully skilled carpenter of some 20 years in england and want to live and work in calgary their appears to be a massive shortage of carpenters but u try and get a job any help?ideas anything would be great
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

i think you got this wrong a bit ,im a dental technician(3223) not a Dental Hygienists or Dental Therapists, but hey thanks for the info
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheera67
i think you got this wrong a bit ,im a dental technician(3223) not a Dental Hygienists or Dental Therapists, but hey thanks for the info
Which province were you headed for? I think it's a licensed profession in some if not all. Here's the Ontario requirements - http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/eng...taltechs.shtml
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

hey you also got this wrong to,but who,s counting

im hopefully heading for ontario
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I have no idea how that's wrong as I simply searched for Dental Technician and got code 3222 or 3223. Admittedly I didn't really read it, just linked to the first one I got. It appears that 3223 would be better for you then. http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...de=3223&code=3

Just read the link above which will give you more info. It also appears that 3223 are on the OUP list for other provinces such as Alberta and NS, so you might want to look at them and cast your net wider than Ontario.

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously OP, check out the licensing requirement, it's irrelevant if it's on the OUP list for any province if you can't actually work in the profession
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Seriously OP, check out the licensing requirement, it's irrelevant if it's on the OUP list for any province if you can't actually work in the profession
yes i have, but i also have 4 dental labs who are interested in meeting with me when i go over, none of them have mentioned that you have to be registered in ontario, dont you think this is a bit strange, by the way im uk registered if that makes any difference
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes i have, but i also have 4 dental labs who are interested in meeting with me when i go over, none of them have mentioned that you have to be registered in ontario, dont you think this is a bit strange, by the way im uk registered if that makes any difference
It's not up to the labs to check out what requirements for foreigners are, how would they reasonably be expected to know that kind of thing? You said you don't have any UK technician quals so it doesn't look like you can register/take the exam - from the link I gave you upthread it looks like you could work as an assistant under supervision, but that's about it. From that link:

It is difficult to obtain detailed figures on wage rates. Laboratory owners generally offer minimum wage to assisting technicians with little or no training.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom here, just pointing out that what may qualify you to immigrate to Canada doesn't necessarily qualify you to work in Canada. It might be worth looking at other places, or getting a UK qual in place before you leave.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 20th 2008 at 5:19 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

do you think this will qualify as an accepted qualification in ontario
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

do you think this will qualify as an accepted qualification in ontario
I doubt it, to take the exams they want you to have:

- Grade 12 education or equivalent 12 years of general education;
- A recognized post-secondary education program in dental technology taken after Grade 12

...but I'm no expert, why don't you contact them and ask? Also check out other provinces, and what their requirements are.

I don't know what the long term prospects are in Canada, the OH has been surprised at how many practices (not his!) send their lab work to China

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.