Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled worker application, but what if I find a job in the meantime?

Skilled worker application, but what if I find a job in the meantime?

Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

andrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really nice
Default Skilled worker application, but what if I find a job in the meantime?

Hi, I have searched and cannot find what I'm after.

I have completed an Apprentiship in Engineering and did 3 years further study to get a HND. I am planning to apply via the Skilled worker route. However, I am not sure what to do. The company that I work for is a big international company and they have facilities in Quebec and British Columbia. I have spoken to human resources and there is a possibility of getting a transfer through work to a facility in Canada. But this could take a while and there is no gaurantee they will ever be able to secure me a post.

Now, I was planning to hold off putting my visa application in the post until Feb time, just to see if owt comes up via work. But if, say they find me a position in 12 months time how do I stand? Would the fact that I had already applied via the skilled worker route mean that other methods of immigration are closed to me? Would I still have to go through the skilled worker route with an international transfer with work anyway and experience 3 yr waiting times? Another option is to get a temporary position for say 12 months, which they sometimes do. Once in Canada on a temporary visa will my permanant visa application stay in the processing loop? or would I have to start again?

Any advise much appreciated
Carl
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:44 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled worker application, but what if I find a job in the meantime?

Waiting times for the skilled worker route are closer to 5 years now. But working in Canada, and having an offer to make your job permanent upon getting PR can fast track the process down to a matter of a few months. I'm not sure exactly how this would work with an intra-company transfer, though. I guess your company would have to state that they're willing to employ you permanently in Canada.

To answer your question, getting a job in the meantime won't jeapordise your PR application; if anything it could help speed it up.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

andrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really nice
Default Re: Skilled worker application, but what if I find a job in the meantime?

What if I didn't get an inter-company transfer and came over on a temporary work permit? Could I leave my Skilled worker application going through?