Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

redbaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Folks, this is my first post, so easy on me....

I've been reading, researching, etc about immigrating to Canada. Basically we've got dual citizenship Brazilian/Italian and have been living in the UK for 10 years, but I've had enough really.

My wife will probably be the 1st applicant as she has a postgrad (so do I) in the UK and is due to finish her Master's in 2 years.

I want to try to do it myself instead of using an agent.

Quick 1st Qs:

1) As she is due to complete her Master's in 2 years time, can i put her education as "Master's level"?

2) Our mother tongue is not English, however we have postgrad from British Universities (courses taught in English) and work as professionals. Do we still need to take the IELTS exam to prove our language skills?

3) Is it better to apply for Federal or Quebec?

4) We still do not know where we want to live, how do I fill in this info in the form?

I would appreciate if you all could share your expertise and opinions on this.

Cheers, ric
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:24 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Hello, Ric, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by redbaron
1) As she is due to complete her Master's in 2 years time, can i put her education as "Master's level"?
You have to enter the person's education level at the time that the application is submitted.

2) Our mother tongue is not English, however we have postgrad from British Universities (courses taught in English) and work as professionals. Do we still need to take the IELTS exam to prove our language skills?
Yes.

3) Is it better to apply for Federal or Quebec?
I don't know. I have too little information to go on. For example, are you fluent in French? Which fields do you work in?

4) We still do not know where we want to live, how do I fill in this info in the form?
If you want to immigrate to Quebec, there's a separate application process that you have to go through before you apply to Canada's federal government. However, unless you're going to Quebec, your intended destination doesn't matter. Just put a map of Canada on the wall and throw a dart at it.

I would appreciate if you all could share your expertise and opinions on this.
You really need to read the Wiki section of this website. You need to understand the criticality of pre-arranged employment (unless your occupation is in red hot demand in Canada).

Hope that helps.
x
Old Aug 26th 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Judy,

Thx for your reply. I will thoroughly read wiki section, actually I've already started...

But from your post should I assume that I (we) have no chance whatsoever to get a Skilled Worker Visa without a job offer?

cheers, ric
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I understand my NOC code is: 2281 Computer Network Technicians and
my wife's: 4151 Psychologists

Do I still need to secure a job offer to apply for the SW scheme or can I apply wait for a couple of years and hopefully be granted with the visa?

I've been reading the wiki as suggested, but still struggling with this one...

Help is much appreciated.

Ric
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:27 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

- list of occupations in high demand is not published yet

- once it is published and your occupation is on it then (1) your application will be processed and if you make the cut into visa quota for your subcategory for particular year you'll get visas or (2) if you won't make cut then application will either be returned or retained for next year (or following years) quota if occupation remains on the list. Note that there is a huge backlog of applications already and many will make the cut before you - as result you may be left out.

- if your occupation is not on the list then it will be returned without processing

Don't hope for anything, don't let others control your future - get a job in Canada and have no problems with the above.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Hi Andrew,

do you know when it is likely to come out?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

- once it is published and your occupation is on it then (1) your application will be processed and if you make the cut into visa quota for your subcategory for particular year you'll get visas or (2) if you won't make cut then application will either be returned or retained for next year (or following years) quota if occupation remains on the list. Note that there is a huge backlog of applications already and many will make the cut before you - as result you may be left out.

- if your occupation is not on the list then it will be returned without processing

Don't hope for anything, don't let others control your future - get a job in Canada and have no problems with the above.
Andrew,
many thanks for your post. I shall read and read the Quick Job Hunting Instructions-Canada wiki section.
Because I saw that 2281 was "under-pressure" for Alberta and BC; I thought this would help me.

In terms of education, as long as I prove University degree and postgrad, I do not need to worry about translating my high school, secondary school, etc certificates, do I?

My only concern is that my wife has a further 2 years to complete her Masters in systemic therapy; therefore we cannot look for a job in Canada right now. I thought that because it takes so long to be granted with a SW visa, I could apply now, and within 2 years start our job hunt. Any thoughts????
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:20 am

All documents that are not in English or French must have certified translation attached. You must also submit all your post-secondary education credentials. If there is a need to assure that number of years of education is well proven then you must submit evidence from primary and secondary education too. The degree may not be accepted if for example you completed primary and secondary education programs that last in total for example 5 years or if you don't even have secondary education completed.

Don't laugh please, but I've seen many cases where applicants claimed having "Bachelor degree" done in 1 year program, followed by "Master degree" completed in another 1 year program, without having ever completed secondary education (or unable to prove such completion). I haven't seen such claims from applicants who completed their education in Italy or Brazil though, but it doesn't mean that there aren't any who may try such claims.

It is always safer to prove all education levels starting from secondary and going up.

Why your wife can't complete her Master's in Canada? It would make it easier for her to get through later all registrations/licensing needed to work in her occupation.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Don't laugh please, but I've seen many cases where applicants claimed having "Bachelor degree" done in 1 year program, followed by "Master degree" completed in another 1 year program, without having ever completed secondary education (or unable to prove such completion). I haven't seen such claims from applicants who completed their education in Italy or Brazil though, but it doesn't mean that there aren't any who may try such claims.
I fully understand and there are lot of fraudsters in Brazil. Luckly me and my wife studied at well-know state Universities (USP and UNESP). We will have to translate our post-secondary docs even though on my university diploma/docs this is mentioned.

Why your wife can't complete her Master's in Canada? It would make it easier for her to get through later all registrations/licensing needed to work in her occupation.
This will be almost impossible, however I will try. Can we claim later her Master's, i.e, more points or can I claim straightway even though she gets the title within 2 years?

We got 73 points on self-assessment.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:39 pm

You can only claim completed education programs - completed means degree, diploma or certificate obtained.

Points are relevant today only if they are below pass mark. Points at or above pass mark are no longer relevant, they don't guarantee anything. Take my advice and get a job in Canada.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Ric, immigration is like a video game.

The first video game that I remember my kids playing was Super Mario Brothers. The player had to overcome all kinds of obstacles to reach the ultimate prize, the Princess.

I think prospective immigrants go through various stages.

First, they're in denial, and they imagine it's easier than it is.

People tell them the rules, but at first they don't hear what people are telling them.

Slowly the full horror of it all sinks in, and they realize how bloody difficult it is. They can feel discouraged at this stage.

However, if you take the view that the prospective Canadian employers, British (or Italian or Brazilian) home buyers, Canadian immigration officials, etc., whose cooperation you need are just illusions that have been placed there to scare you off the idea of getting to Canada, and if you keep going, you will reach the Princess (or Canada).

By the way, while I think it is helpful to think of prospective employers, home buyers, immigration officials, etc., as illusions, it can be extremely unhelpful to give them any hint that that is how you view them. They tend to react very negatively to any lack of appreciation.

I had been expecting a gorgeous Princess, but when one of my kids finally reached her, I thought to myself, “Oh my God. She’s a dog.”

What you will think of Canada when you reach it, I cannot predict. Some immigrants think it is beautiful, some are disappointed, and some change their opinions over time.
x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

Mr Miller, wouldn't they be able to send the application to the Canadian Consulate in Brazil? That would make the processing time shorter than applying in UK and they wouldn't need to translate some of their documents.

I agree about finding a job in Canada first would be the best path. Just try to find out if your wife can transfer her Masters to some Canadian institution and then move here before applying.

Cheers
Paulo
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:52 am

Yes, Sao Paulo would be a better option than London, but only if their occupations make to the list of occupations in high demand and of course if then they make the cut into visas quota in the occupational subcategory for particular year. Without it, no matter London or Sao Paulo, application will be returned.

This is why I suggest to take out the unknown out of the equation by having an arranged employment in Canada.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by redbaron

It is always possible to write a letter stating that you speak and write fluent English. But from what I understand, the IELTS (and the TEF for the French language) are better, as no question to your language ability arises. They are, however, entirely optional.

I am fluent in both English and French, but since neither are my mother tongue, I felt it was safer to submit IELTS and TEF results. (and since I am still waiting for medicals, not sure, if and when I will get PR).

As to your question of going to Quebec: if both of you are fluent in French, Quebec might be a good route to go, as it might make application much faster.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:39 am

It is possible only for native English or French speakers. Currently all visa posts ask for IELTS from all applicants who's mother's tongue is not English and who are not native English speakers, born, raised, educated and experienced in predominantly English speaking country. Similarly with French TEF test.

Only native speakers of English or French can submit substitute evidence - their own submission letter supported by evidence showing that they were born, raised, educated and gained experience in predominantly English or French language country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.