SIN through Bunac

Old May 27th 2006, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road
Default SIN through Bunac

Hello
Can anyone tell me whether they did not apply for their SIN number through SWAP and applied through the ordinary process? Is this allowed? I would like an "instant" temporary SIN number if possible, since I am due to commence a job on 5th June although I will not land in Canada until 31st May.

Any tips appreciated.
Many thanks
Old May 27th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future
Default Re: SIN through Bunac

I thought a SIN through SWAP was the quickest way to get a number, they email the number to you pretty quickly. They have some sort of 'Bulk Process' thing I think.....

Mike

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl
Hello
Can anyone tell me whether they did not apply for their SIN number through SWAP and applied through the ordinary process? Is this allowed? I would like an "instant" temporary SIN number if possible, since I am due to commence a job on 5th June although I will not land in Canada until 31st May.

Any tips appreciated.
Many thanks
Old May 27th 2006, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply!

From my understanding it is a one week process which on the face of it is quick, however, not quick enough for me to start work next Monday and it had been mentioned to me that I could get a "temporary" SIN number immediately. Maybe that is not true though?
Thanks again,
Old May 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I started work before my SIN came through. I just showed my employers my visa and said my SIN was on it's way.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:16 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

When you go into the office to apply for your SIN card, if you tell them you need the number to start work they will give you a temporary slip with your number on it.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:24 am
Banned

seabass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
When you go into the office to apply for your SIN card, if you tell them you need the number to start work they will give you a temporary slip with your number on it.
I applied for my SIN number at an office rather than through SWAP. I got a temporary one straight away, but yeah you can work whilst you wait for one, you just cn't get paid till you get it.
Old May 29th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seabass
I applied for my SIN number at an office rather than through SWAP. I got a temporary one straight away, but yeah you can work whilst you wait for one, you just cn't get paid till you get it.
May I ask, did you attend the orientation at SWAP? I just wonder what else they tell you at the orientation that is so compulsory that you need to attend, especially if I can get my SIN number through a government office? I understand there is one on Queen's Quay in Toronto.... My fiance and I own a condo in Toronto so it is not like i need to search for youth hostels to stay at!
many thanks
Old May 30th 2006, 1:56 am
Banned

Sleeman_HB is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask, did you attend the orientation at SWAP? I just wonder what else they tell you at the orientation that is so compulsory that you need to attend, especially if I can get my SIN number through a government office? I understand there is one on Queen's Quay in Toronto.... My fiance and I own a condo in Toronto so it is not like i need to search for youth hostels to stay at!
many thanks
I came to Canada on a BUNAC visa too, I went to attend the SWAP meeting in fact I deliberately flew to vancouver because there wasn't one in Calgary where I was going to be based.

They booked me in and confirmed the booking then when I turned up at the door it was closed due to it being a bank holiday. I was so annoyed and sent them an email to say how could they have been so damn ignorant as to book me in when they were closed and that I had deliberately flown to vancouver cos I was told the meeting was compulsory and all i got back was a meagre apology.

To cut to the chase, there is no need to go to it, it isn't compulsory at all. Also only get 3 months travel insurance with endsleigh since they are very expensive, after three months here you will be entitled to health insurance at your job and you can purchase home insurance for a crazy cheap price, I think ours was $250 for a year.
Old May 30th 2006, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

That's great info, thanks very much!

Yes the Endsleigh insurance is a bit of a rip off, I only got it for the minimum required time too. Like you say, I should get it through my work after a few months.

I also noticed house insurance was very cheap, but car insurance, well don't get me started on that...!

Thanks again.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:23 pm
Banned

Sleeman_HB is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great info, thanks very much!

Yes the Endsleigh insurance is a bit of a rip off, I only got it for the minimum required time too. Like you say, I should get it through my work after a few months.

I also noticed house insurance was very cheap, but car insurance, well don't get me started on that...!

Thanks again.
Oh really? My car insurance was cheap as chips, $850 for fully comprehensive for the year, plus my girlfriend is learning to drive and gets insured on the same insurance for free.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

hey Sleeman,

Who do you get your auto insurance with? I only ask because I am british moving to Canada with a Florida Licence and would love to get a quote from whom ever you use.

thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

toaster is on a distinguished road

I couldn't attend orientation either. Got SIN no problem on my own and it came through quite quickly.

Sleeman_HB - you have GOT to be kidding on the car insurance. I am paying $2,200 for the year (female, early thirties with just a little 2001 Huyndai)!!! Who are you with? I tried a ton of places and they all said same thing - no driving record in Canada = sky high insurance, even though nothing ever before claimed on insurance or points on license etc. I was in the US before, but they would not carry forward any history. Even my Canadian friend who has been driving for years and has a good record is paying $950. He thinks that is not bad!!!

I'm miffed
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

clarebear07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the SIN issued by BUNAC expire? Or is it issued permanently?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

All the reaserch I have done says that the SIN cards for international workers
begining with "9" do expire.

Do you by any chance have any knowledge on how long the Bunac Work Visa takes to process? I am into week 3 now. The blue Post card I got said 6 weeks but I am hoping it comes sooner rather then later.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:09 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, mine starts with a 9. I came over on the Bunac visa, then got a temp work visa. I've always used the same SIN number - I'm guessing the expiry date is just linked to your work permit.

I also started work before being issued with a SIN, I was told to just give my employer any 9 digit number, and then get it changed once I got my proper SIN. It worked for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.