Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Shoplifting but without charges- affect immigration?

Shoplifting but without charges- affect immigration?

Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:48 am
Just Joined

jimmax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shoplifting but without charges- affect immigration?

Hi guys,

I will apply for Canadian immigration as an skilled worker in 2013.
My situation is: I was caught shoplifting a couple of months ago. The police was involved and took my details such as name and birth date, and then let me go home. No penalty tickets and caution were issued. I paid fines to the shop through through retail loss prevention ltd.
I got my Police certificate several days ago, and it shows "No Trace". My understanding is that I do not have any criminal records.
My worry is that when immigration officers do background checks on me in the future, is it possible they find that I commited a offence, although without criminal records? will they deny my entry to Canada for this?
I am depressed after the incident. I really regret and will never do stupid things like this. Any answers or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shoplifting but without charges- affect immigration?

This does not make you inadmissible to Canada - there is no conviction or even charge.

Of course it will not be in your favour if this comes out in a background check. Hopefully it will not - as you yourself say, don't do stupid things like this in future!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by firstchoice
This does not make you inadmissible to Canada - there is no conviction or even charge.

Of course it will not be in your favour if this comes out in a background check. Hopefully it will not - as you yourself say, don't do stupid things like this in future!
Thanks. I will definitely learn the lesson. How would this be digged up if it is possible, they will check with police officers for any offences of the applicant?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmax
Thanks. I will definitely learn the lesson. How would this be digged up if it is possible, they will check with police officers for any offences of the applicant?
If you didnt receive a caution or ticket there is likely no record. Especially if you recently did a police cert and it says no trace.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
If you didnt receive a caution or ticket there is likely no record. Especially if you recently did a police cert and it says no trace.
Thanks. Not all offences will appear on police cert though it is clean, is it? I am concerned if they find out in other ways.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:06 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I will apply for Canadian immigration as an skilled worker in 2013.
My situation is: I was caught shoplifting a couple of months ago. The police was involved and took my details such as name and birth date, and then let me go home. No penalty tickets and caution were issued. I paid fines to the shop through through retail loss prevention ltd.
I got my Police certificate several days ago, and it shows "No Trace". My understanding is that I do not have any criminal records.
My worry is that when immigration officers do background checks on me in the future, is it possible they find that I commited a offence, although without criminal records? will they deny my entry to Canada for this?
I am depressed after the incident. I really regret and will never do stupid things like this. Any answers or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
Once it's all sorted out could you get me an ipad.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jimmax.

I know how you feel.

I did something stupid when I was 16, and regretted it for the rest of my life. It was a theft related incident, and because I was 16 I was charged and convicted. It was a just a fine, but it did go on my permanent record.

The positive thing to come out of it was my complete reversal of my thoughts on stealing. Since that day, I have never stolen anything and have taught my kids to understand right and wrong through my experience.

This conviction stopped us from applying 15 years ago, not because I thought it would appear on a check, but because I was still guilt ridden and felt I didn't deserve Canada, so we never proceeded with the application.

In your case, I would suggest that a "caution" is exactly that. You have been given the chance to turn your life around, without this noose around your neck for the next 25 years, like I had.

When you apply for a police check, you are given the same details anyone else will get if applying for a background check. It's part of the freedom of information act, so they must tell you everything.

No Trace, means No Trace. Nothing.

Time to get on with your life
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Once it's all sorted out could you get me an ipad.
That's a bit sick , but still funny
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If no charges or conviction then not inadmissible. Im assuming that even though the police were involved you were not arrested at the scene. If you were arrested but no charges laid then the arrest still has to be disclosed.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If no charges or conviction then not inadmissible. Im assuming that even though the police were involved you were not arrested at the scene. If you were arrested but no charges laid then the arrest still has to be disclosed.
I was led to a interrogation room in the shop by the shop staff, and then the police show up, ask me questions, and walks me out of the shop then let me go. It is not an arrest, isn't it?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was led to a interrogation room in the shop by the shop staff, and then the police show up, ask me questions, and walks me out of the shop then let me go. It is not an arrest, isn't it?
Unless words like you are under arrest for shoplifting and cautioned then it doesnt sound like an arrest to me.
Phrases like You are ****ing nicked my son and lets be avving you could be construed as an arrest but more likely to have been used in an episode of The Sweeney or other famous UK police type shows though Dixon of Dock Green never had to resort to that type of vulgarity.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:45 am
Account Closed

Unless words like you are under arrest for shoplifting and cautioned then it doesnt sound like an arrest to me.
Phrases like You are ****ing nicked my son and lets be avving you could be construed as an arrest but more likely to have been used in an episode of The Sweeney or other famous UK police type shows though Dixon of Dock Green never had to resort to that type of vulgarity.
Life of Brian, I believe
Old Jul 27th 2012, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Sooo, what was the item you just had to have, that potentially ruined your life?

In my case it was a box of Mars bars
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Sooo, what was the item you just had to have, that potentially ruined your life?

In my case it was a box of Mars bars
Mars bars, Glasgow, how come you didnt nick any cooking oil so you could deep fry them?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Mars bars, Glasgow, how come you didnt nick any cooking oil so you could deep fry them?
it is a shirt, it was the moment out of the track of my mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.