British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/shocked-job-offer-now-very-confused-904525/)

LonelyCloud Oct 13th 2017 2:39 pm

Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

So I am now very confused....and I'm not new at this game

So I applied for a few roles at a specific global company which has offices in Toronto amongst others. Had an interview via Skype a week or so ago and honestly thought it would go the way of the others.

My EE is not ready yet as it's taking months for the education to be evaluated, so my intention was to get my name out there, maybe have a couple of interviews if I'm lucky, find out salary scales and hit the ground running in the new year once I know if our score is good enough.

I've just been offered a job, which I was not expecting. I've been honest and upfront so they know I don't have an EE spot yet. Apparently, that doesn't matter because they will sponsor me and I'm assuming that, as one of the biggest consulting firms in the world, they have a team of immigration lawyers who do this for breakfast.

However, I am now confused :confused:

Am I right in thinking this would be under the OINP? I'm only going off the information about sponsorship and the guy not caring how long we still had to wait for our results.
NOC is not a problem nor is the work criteria and the 4-week timeline for turn around makes sense.

I appreciate the information is a little scarce, but the Partner who interviewed me had a hard stop on the call, so I didn't have time to ask questions (which he probably wouldn't have known the answer to anyway)

Does this make sense? I had been so focused on EE and maybe a TC, I really wasn't prepared for an offer...

graham1710 Oct 13th 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

Someone will be along with more info soon I'm sure, but I would think that if they want to get you out quickly (rather than waiting for EE profile to be completed), they could get you out on a temporary work permit. No need for OINP.

Check out: Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki

and look down at the job offer section.

They obviously still have to do the LMIA side of things, but once that's done, you could come out on a temporary permit while you wait for your permanent residence.

As I say, I'm not 100% on the details (I came over on a temporary permit but via an intra-company transfer), but someone more knowledgeable will be along soon I'm sure.

Graham.

Engineer_abroad Oct 13th 2017 3:41 pm

Congrats on the job offer.

So the first thing is they may be talking about either OINP, doing an LMIA to support PR application (which gives you extra points) or doing an LMIA to bring you over as a temporary worker. You wont know till you ask.

If it is support for PR then you will need to go through EE anyway as you have to qualify for a federal immigration route in addition to the provincial nomination schemes. If it is support for temporary worker then they need to advertise in Canada for a minimum period so either way I am not sure what the 4 week timescale you reference refers to.

LonelyCloud Oct 13th 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks, I did read the wiki and although it has the PNP paragraph, there wasn't much else (not that I was expecting specifics)

I think it has to be OINP (the company qualifies with no problems) as everything else does or will require EE

I'm still waiting for comformation, so at the moment its still a little surreal

Engineer_abroad Oct 13th 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12360413)
Thanks, I did read the wiki and although it has the PNP paragraph, there wasn't much else (not that I was expecting specifics)

I think it has to be OINP (the company qualifies with no problems) as everything else does or will require EE

I'm still waiting for comformation, so at the moment its still a little surreal

OINP still needs EE, qualifying for provincial nomination does not automatically make you eligible for a federal immigration route.

You still need to go through EE to get PR via OINP. What OINP gives you is enough points to be selected straight away.

LonelyCloud Oct 13th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12360454)
OINP still needs EE, qualifying for provincial nomination does not automatically make you eligible for a federal immigration route.

You still need to go through EE to get PR via OINP. What OINP gives you is enough points to be selected straight away.

See this is where I am confused. I've read through the Employer Job Offer Stream – Foreign Worker with a Job Offer PDF and nowhere does it mention EE. Obviously, all still guesswork, until I actually get the offer, but

2.1 Foreign Worker with a Job Offer – Criteria
To be eligible to apply as a foreign worker, you must have a job offer signed by
yourself and an Ontario employer that meets the following criteria:
Is a permanent and full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC 0, A or
B), and
Meets the prevailing wage in Ontario for that occupation (Information
about wage levels in different occupations can be found on the Government
of Canada Job Bank and selecting Explore Careers: Wages. Job Bank
identifies “prevailing wage” as “median wage”).
As a foreign worker, you must also:
Have two years of work experience in the intended occupation in the last
five years immediately preceding the date of application submission. The
work experience can be cumulative and must be in the same NOC as the
intended occupation.
OR
Have the relevant mandatory licensing in Ontario for a regulated occupation.
Hold a valid licence or certification at the time of application submission if
your job offer is in an occupation that requires a mandatory licence or
certification in Ontario.
Be residing abroad or residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work
permit, study permit or visitor record.

"Applicants can only apply if they have received a permanent and full-time job offer from an Ontario employer, meet all eligibility criteria and have an Employer Form completed by the prospective employer."

Reading through the required documents checklist, it's not mentioned either. I even searched for "express entry" to make I wasn't being a dumb-ass

Siouxie Oct 13th 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12360454)

Umm actually, it doesn't.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employer/Job Offer

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) helps employers meet their human resource needs for workers, by enabling them to recruit foreign workers and international students. Ontario has a target of 6,000 nominations in 2017, this includes nominations for both the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) and Ontario Express Entry.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...PJOBOFFER.html

Engineer_abroad Oct 13th 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12360497)
Umm actually, it doesn't.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employer/Job Offer

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) helps employers meet their human resource needs for workers, by enabling them to recruit foreign workers and international students. Ontario has a target of 6,000 nominations in 2017, this includes nominations for both the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) and Ontario Express Entry.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employers/Job Offer Category

sorry my mistake I had assumed (which makes an ass of u and me) OINP was like the other PNP's (other than Quebec).

Sorry if I caused any confusion

Siouxie Oct 14th 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12360553)
sorry my mistake I had assumed (which makes an ass of u and me) OINP was like the other PNP's (other than Quebec).

Unfortunately it's never safe to assume anything with immigration, it's always better to check (and give a link) - or say "I believe" if you are not certain.

Immigration can be a minefield and there are changes being made all the time - I've fallen foul of it myself before, as have many of us!

:)

LonelyCloud Oct 14th 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12360553)

Not a problem, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question :rofl:

neilgvirgo Oct 16th 2017 6:56 pm

Hi LonelyCloud
I am currently applying for jobs in canada and was interested in your post. Did you get the Skype interview through just applying for jobs or did you have to go over there initially to meet them? I am reading lots of places that you really need to get over there, but your post has made me wonder if its possible to get an interview without visiting first.
Any information would be a great help
cheers

Neil

christmasoompa Oct 16th 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by neilgvirgo (Post 12362377)
Hi LonelyCloud
I am currently applying for jobs in canada and was interested in your post. Did you get the Skype interview through just applying for jobs or did you have to go over there initially to meet them? I am reading lots of places that you really need to get over there, but your post has made me wonder if its possible to get an interview without visiting first.
Any information would be a great help
cheers

Neil

The trouble is, it may not be terribly relevant how others got job offers tbh, as it will depend on the individual's skills/experience & how in demand they are in Canada. Some will search for a year or more before they get lucky (or may never get lucky), because there are lots of others in Canada who could do their jobs, others are headhunted and offered jobs without applying for a single position. It will also depend on contacts - as I'm sure you've read in the Wiki, a lot of it is about 'networking', so again somebody that gets a job offer without a trip over there might have done so using contacts they already have.

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the main Canada forum with info on your job and your skills etc, then those in the same industry can advise you of your chances.

And if you do need to get out there and job hunt in person, look at is as a positive thing - good research before you spend such a huge amount of money on the move!

Good luck.

LonelyCloud Oct 16th 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12362393)
The trouble is, it may not be terribly relevant how others got job offers tbh, as it will depend on the individual's skills/experience & how in demand they are in Canada. Some will search for a year or more before they get lucky (or may never get lucky), because there are lots of others in Canada who could do their jobs, others are headhunted and offered jobs without applying for a single position. It will also depend on contacts - as I'm sure you've read in the Wiki, a lot of it is about 'networking', so again somebody that gets a job offer without a trip over there might have done so using contacts they already have.

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the main Canada forum with info on your job and your skills etc, then those in the same industry can advise you of your chances.

And if you do need to get out there and job hunt in person, look at is as a positive thing - good research before you spend such a huge amount of money on the move!

Good luck.

Unfortunately, I agree. I had no real expectations other than getting my name known and maybe have some chats with recruiters (which I have done a lot of, for a long time). There is a shortage of experience in my field, so much so Ontario changed its PNP as companies claimed they could not find the staff for senior roles, obviously there must be stats to back this up. I think this was my 6th application to the same company and this time I ticked their boxes.

Ive still not seen an offer letter yet, so there are no chickens being counted

LonelyCloud Oct 23rd 2017 1:06 pm

Does anybody know "roughly" how long LMIA's are taking in Ontario atm?

I'd forgotten all about that, so when the company said they were seeking approvals I assumed (Ass, me etc) they meant internally. Hopefully, today is day 7, but probably day 6, not that I'm sure if I fall into skilled trades anyway (for the 10-day turnaround)

PMM Oct 23rd 2017 7:58 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12366804)
Does anybody know "roughly" how long LMIA's are taking in Ontario atm?

I'd forgotten all about that, so when the company said they were seeking approvals I assumed (Ass, me etc) they meant internally. Hopefully, today is day 7, but probably day 6, not that I'm sure if I fall into skilled trades anyway (for the 10-day turnaround)

1. After advertising the position for 4 weeks then you are looking at 10-12 weeks for an approved LMIA if it is not considered a high wage position.

LonelyCloud Oct 30th 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 12367081)
Hi
1. After advertising the position for 4 weeks then you are looking at 10-12 weeks for an approved LMIA if it is not considered a high wage position.

So I have a call with the in-house recruit lead this week (yes, they called me to tell me they had the clearance to make the offer and then went on holiday for a week)
Hopefully, the internal immigration lawyers have cleared the offer as well and have a time scale :fingerscrossed:

Anyway, As we do, I've done some more digging and I'm a little clearer on the process and more confused. I agree with PMM's assessment, but then I started reading the FAQ's for OINP.

Information for Employers
1) What is the application process for employers?

The Employer Job Offer streams are a one stage application process and no longer requires a pre-screen of the employer or position.
Instead, as part of their application, an applicant must submit a completed and
signed Employer Form from their Ontario employer. Through this form, the
employer attests to meeting the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
criteria.
Please note that, although this is a one stage application process, both the
applicant and the employer must meet stream criteria. The OINP will still assess
both. The Employer Form is the main information source for OINP assessment of employer and position criteria.

I appreciate that most of us are not Immigration Trained, but that reads to me (Ass u me ;)) as long as they meet the company criteria (they will) and attest that I also meet the criteria, then this form supersedes the LMIA requirement. This now makes the partners comments during the final interview "it takes 4 weeks" accurate (Current job offer turn around is 30 - 60 days)

Any other views on this? I finally find out this week whats going on, but it's been 3 weeks since the 'offer' and I can't sit on my hands.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/pro...n_oinp_faq.pdf

In case anyone is interested.

christmasoompa Oct 30th 2017 10:22 am

You're quite correct, no LMIA is needed for work permits under PNP schemes. It's one or the other, not both.

HTH.

LonelyCloud Oct 30th 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12370898)
You're quite correct, no LMIA is needed for work permits under PNP schemes. It's one or the other, not both.

HTH.

Well at least I know I'm not going mad. Thanks for the confirmation. Probably explains why it's only a 30 min call as well. :fingerscrossed:

christmasoompa Oct 30th 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12370918)
Well at least I know I'm not going mad. Thanks for the confirmation. Probably explains why it's only a 30 min call as well. :fingerscrossed:

You might find the employer will prefer to do a LMIA & TWP though, it's much cheaper and generally easier for them. I guess all you can do is wait and see which visa route they want to go down.

LonelyCloud Oct 30th 2017 12:55 pm

Yep, that's possible too and although they want someone sooner rather than later, it might not be the same view as the lawyers.

LonelyCloud Nov 2nd 2017 5:56 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12370979)
You might find the employer will prefer to do a LMIA & TWP though, it's much cheaper and generally easier for them. I guess all you can do is wait and see which visa route they want to go down.

And you were right lol

TWP, with PR sponsorship after 6 months, which I appreciate is quite normal. So that adjusts the timelines slightly, especially as OH is due to give birth around the same time, anyway...

So the immigration lawyers are taking care of things, my question skips forwards 6 months.

I'm pretty sure I won't qualify under FSWP (age & education are against me) it's a maybe under EE as long as I can include my wife, so is the Provincial Nominee Program (Ontario) still open to me if I am in the country? I can't see anything which says it isn't

Before anyone asks how I get a job without education, it's in a role where experience is more important and the certificates I do have are industry-specific and don't count towards educational evals

christmasoompa Nov 2nd 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12373145)
TWP, with PR sponsorship after 6 months, which I appreciate is quite normal.

Erm....no it's not. :lol: If you've got a TWP then you wouldn't normally need any kind of 'sponsorship' for PR, and would just apply yourself independently of your company. But that does assume you're eligible under FSW/EE (see below!).

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12373145)
I'm pretty sure I won't qualify under FSWP (age & education are against me) it's a maybe under EE as long as I can include my wife

I'm confused by this statement - you say it's a 'maybe' under EE, but that is FSW or PNP (or CEC, but that's even further down the line, you'd need to have worked in Canada for a year for that). So if you're not eligible as a FSW (do check that, it would be unusual if you weren't given you'll have 10 extra points for the job offer), then PNP will be your only option under EE if you don't want to wait to be eligible for CEC. If you can just clarify then we can try and help.

Yes, you can apply for PNP once in Canada, but you'll need your employers support for that.

So you've got two options essentially - FSW if eligible, and apply yourself as soon as you like, under EE.

Or PNP if not eligible under FSW, which will usually also be an EE app, but will be reliant on your employer helping you, so looks like it will involve a longer wait (although I'd negotiate that, why are they making you wait 6 months?!).

What do you score as a FSW with the job offer, and on the CRS without PNP?

LonelyCloud Nov 6th 2017 9:34 am

Sorry, to clarify:

6 months probation for a new job is quite normal, not the immigration side of things. I have read through the contract, and there is nothing preventing us from starting the PR process as soon as we land, but obviously, the company won't pay for any costs associated unless it is after the probation and we use the company lawyer.

Best guess for FSW, 70 points with the job offer and allowing for average language and actually finding at least one year out of the three in total at college (1 year course then 2 year course) so it might be slightly higher, but I accept its above the 67 required.
I'm 42 next summer, so that would drop it further.

CRS was 397 with the job offer

Yes the company will pay for and sponsor PNP, but obviously, the risk from my pov is that I screw up in the first 6 months and they don't want me anymore, however, if I start the FSW process, then I lose the ability to reclaim the costs.

Fortunately, now that I have signed the contract I now have free (to me) use of the Immigration lawyer, so I will be discussing the best way forward with them as well, but I'm still erring towards PNP as age and education are not a factor.

LonelyCloud Jan 23rd 2018 4:39 am

Just to update:

Here we go, LMIA went in yesterday. They requested expedited, but we all know how much that is worth in the real world.

Apparently, they relisted the ad (in all the required places) for 6 weeks and had 53 responses. None of them even hit the basic requirement (Years experience)

Fingers Crossed

christmasoompa Jan 23rd 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12425136)
Just to update:

Here we go, LMIA went in yesterday. They requested expedited, but we all know how much that is worth in the real world.

Apparently, they relisted the ad (in all the required places) for 6 weeks and had 53 responses. None of them even hit the basic requirement (Years experience)

Fingers Crossed

Fab, fingers crossed for a quick approval. I'm sorry, I missed your post above, but looks like you're not going to get an ITA without the extra 600 points for PNP. So do make sure your company are happy with that as the PNP app is quite onerous on them. Sounds like they will be, but if you can get it in writing as part of your job contract I would recommend you do.

Good luck!

LonelyCloud Jan 23rd 2018 10:08 am

It's in the contract. It states that I can apply for PR at any point under my own steam, however, if I wish to go the PNP route. I have to use their lawyers (same firm who complete the LMIA) and they will contribute up a max of xxxx to cover costs. Obvious caveat being I have to wait 6 months before they will start the PNP process.

It's a risk, but since I'm borderline on the other routes, it's the better option (at this moment in time) and nothing will change before the 6 months is up (Age, Quals etc) So I can use the company at any time for Immigration advice and if they advise different then great!

christmasoompa Jan 23rd 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12425307)
It's in the contract. It states that I can apply for PR at any point under my own steam, however, if I wish to go the PNP route. I have to use their lawyers (same firm who complete the LMIA) and they will contribute up a max of xxxx to cover costs. Obvious caveat being I have to wait 6 months before they will start the PNP process.

It's a risk, but since I'm borderline on the other routes, it's the better option (at this moment in time) and nothing will change before the 6 months is up (Age, Quals etc) So I can use the company at any time for Immigration advice and if they advise different then great!

That sounds perfect. :thumbup:

LonelyCloud Mar 9th 2018 12:23 pm

LMIA Wait week 6...

When it was submitted it said 7 weeks to process, wait time is now down to 5 weeks according to CIC.

(Accepting that this is Government) If it's now 5 weeks to process an application, surely that means they have caught up with previous submissions? You'd think after waiting for a Visa to work in the US, I'd be more patient with Government timelines lol

christmasoompa Mar 9th 2018 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12459258)
LMIA Wait week 6...

When it was submitted it said 7 weeks to process, wait time is now down to 5 weeks according to CIC.

(Accepting that this is Government) If it's now 5 weeks to process an application, surely that means they have caught up with previous submissions? You'd think after waiting for a Visa to work in the US, I'd be more patient with Government timelines lol

Where are you looking at the processing times?

LonelyCloud Mar 9th 2018 12:45 pm

CIC website - Check application processing times – Immigration and citizenship

Currently says 5 weeks from submission (if submitted today). So there has either been a drop in applications, which is possible, and we will still probably be around the original 7 week mark or someone can't count.

christmasoompa Mar 9th 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12459280)
CIC website - Check application processing times – Immigration and citizenship

Currently says 5 weeks from submission (if submitted today). So there has either been a drop in applications, which is possible, and we will still probably be around the original 7 week mark or someone can't count.

That's not for LMIA apps (they're not processed by CIC, which is why I thought you were probably looking at the wrong thing!), it's for Temp Work Permits which is the next step after you've got the LMIA.

There is no published processing time for LMIA's that I'm aware of, but about 12 weeks seems to be the norm.

HTH.

LonelyCloud Mar 9th 2018 12:58 pm

Of course it is, and I knew that too...

(we need a face slap emoji)

Also explains the 10-12 Weeks someone on here posted and the 2-3 months the lawyer told me. I blame sleepless nights and a new baby...

christmasoompa Mar 9th 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12459301)
Of course it is, and I knew that too...

(we need a face slap emoji)

:lol:

Sleep deprivation is responsible for a lot, totally understandable. Congrats on teh new baby. :thumbsup:

LonelyCloud Mar 13th 2018 9:18 pm

After all that, email today from the team.

It was approved last Thursday but the lead was on Holiday until today...

Just waiting for the official paperwork to arrive at the office (by snail mail I assume)

Yay! Spring in the GTA :)

Siouxie Mar 13th 2018 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12462012)
After all that, email today from the team.

It was approved last Thursday but the lead was on Holiday until today...

Just waiting for the official paperwork to arrive at the office (by snail mail I assume)

Yay! Spring in the GTA :)

:thumbsup:

Congrats!!!

christmasoompa Mar 14th 2018 10:15 am

Congrats! That was super quick. Good luck with the move.

LonelyCloud Apr 12th 2018 6:55 am

Finally landing on Monday @Toronto.

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but can a debit card be used to pay for the TWP etc?

I'll have cash anyway, but if I can my canadian debit card it's just easier.

Ta

Former Lancastrian Apr 12th 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud (Post 12480235)
Finally landing on Monday @Toronto.

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but can a debit card be used to pay for the TWP etc?

I'll have cash anyway, but if I can my canadian debit card it's just easier.

Ta

Yes.