Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

Old Oct 13th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

So I am now very confused....and I'm not new at this game

So I applied for a few roles at a specific global company which has offices in Toronto amongst others. Had an interview via Skype a week or so ago and honestly thought it would go the way of the others.

My EE is not ready yet as it's taking months for the education to be evaluated, so my intention was to get my name out there, maybe have a couple of interviews if I'm lucky, find out salary scales and hit the ground running in the new year once I know if our score is good enough.

I've just been offered a job, which I was not expecting. I've been honest and upfront so they know I don't have an EE spot yet. Apparently, that doesn't matter because they will sponsor me and I'm assuming that, as one of the biggest consulting firms in the world, they have a team of immigration lawyers who do this for breakfast.

However, I am now confused

Am I right in thinking this would be under the OINP? I'm only going off the information about sponsorship and the guy not caring how long we still had to wait for our results.
NOC is not a problem nor is the work criteria and the 4-week timeline for turn around makes sense.

I appreciate the information is a little scarce, but the Partner who interviewed me had a hard stop on the call, so I didn't have time to ask questions (which he probably wouldn't have known the answer to anyway)

Does this make sense? I had been so focused on EE and maybe a TC, I really wasn't prepared for an offer...
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Re: Shocked Job Offer, Now Very Confused

Someone will be along with more info soon I'm sure, but I would think that if they want to get you out quickly (rather than waiting for EE profile to be completed), they could get you out on a temporary work permit. No need for OINP.

Check out: Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki

and look down at the job offer section.

They obviously still have to do the LMIA side of things, but once that's done, you could come out on a temporary permit while you wait for your permanent residence.

As I say, I'm not 100% on the details (I came over on a temporary permit but via an intra-company transfer), but someone more knowledgeable will be along soon I'm sure.

Graham.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job offer.

So the first thing is they may be talking about either OINP, doing an LMIA to support PR application (which gives you extra points) or doing an LMIA to bring you over as a temporary worker. You wont know till you ask.

If it is support for PR then you will need to go through EE anyway as you have to qualify for a federal immigration route in addition to the provincial nomination schemes. If it is support for temporary worker then they need to advertise in Canada for a minimum period so either way I am not sure what the 4 week timescale you reference refers to.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, I did read the wiki and although it has the PNP paragraph, there wasn't much else (not that I was expecting specifics)

I think it has to be OINP (the company qualifies with no problems) as everything else does or will require EE

I'm still waiting for comformation, so at the moment its still a little surreal
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
Thanks, I did read the wiki and although it has the PNP paragraph, there wasn't much else (not that I was expecting specifics)

I think it has to be OINP (the company qualifies with no problems) as everything else does or will require EE

I'm still waiting for comformation, so at the moment its still a little surreal
OINP still needs EE, qualifying for provincial nomination does not automatically make you eligible for a federal immigration route.

You still need to go through EE to get PR via OINP. What OINP gives you is enough points to be selected straight away.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
OINP still needs EE, qualifying for provincial nomination does not automatically make you eligible for a federal immigration route.

You still need to go through EE to get PR via OINP. What OINP gives you is enough points to be selected straight away.
See this is where I am confused. I've read through the Employer Job Offer Stream – Foreign Worker with a Job Offer PDF and nowhere does it mention EE. Obviously, all still guesswork, until I actually get the offer, but

2.1 Foreign Worker with a Job Offer – Criteria
To be eligible to apply as a foreign worker, you must have a job offer signed by
yourself and an Ontario employer that meets the following criteria:
Is a permanent and full-time job offer in a skilled occupation (NOC 0, A or
B), and
Meets the prevailing wage in Ontario for that occupation (Information
about wage levels in different occupations can be found on the Government
of Canada Job Bank and selecting Explore Careers: Wages. Job Bank
identifies “prevailing wage” as “median wage”).
As a foreign worker, you must also:
Have two years of work experience in the intended occupation in the last
five years immediately preceding the date of application submission. The
work experience can be cumulative and must be in the same NOC as the
intended occupation.
OR
Have the relevant mandatory licensing in Ontario for a regulated occupation.
Hold a valid licence or certification at the time of application submission if
your job offer is in an occupation that requires a mandatory licence or
certification in Ontario.
Be residing abroad or residing, working or visiting Canada on a valid work
permit, study permit or visitor record.

"Applicants can only apply if they have received a permanent and full-time job offer from an Ontario employer, meet all eligibility criteria and have an Employer Form completed by the prospective employer."

Reading through the required documents checklist, it's not mentioned either. I even searched for "express entry" to make I wasn't being a dumb-ass
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Umm actually, it doesn't.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employer/Job Offer

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) helps employers meet their human resource needs for workers, by enabling them to recruit foreign workers and international students. Ontario has a target of 6,000 nominations in 2017, this includes nominations for both the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) and Ontario Express Entry.

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...PJOBOFFER.html
Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Umm actually, it doesn't.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employer/Job Offer

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) helps employers meet their human resource needs for workers, by enabling them to recruit foreign workers and international students. Ontario has a target of 6,000 nominations in 2017, this includes nominations for both the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) and Ontario Express Entry.

Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Employers/Job Offer Category
sorry my mistake I had assumed (which makes an ass of u and me) OINP was like the other PNP's (other than Quebec).

Sorry if I caused any confusion
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

sorry my mistake I had assumed (which makes an ass of u and me) OINP was like the other PNP's (other than Quebec).

Unfortunately it's never safe to assume anything with immigration, it's always better to check (and give a link) - or say "I believe" if you are not certain.

Immigration can be a minefield and there are changes being made all the time - I've fallen foul of it myself before, as have many of us!

Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Not a problem, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

neilgvirgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LonelyCloud
I am currently applying for jobs in canada and was interested in your post. Did you get the Skype interview through just applying for jobs or did you have to go over there initially to meet them? I am reading lots of places that you really need to get over there, but your post has made me wonder if its possible to get an interview without visiting first.
Any information would be a great help
cheers

Neil
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilgvirgo
Hi LonelyCloud
I am currently applying for jobs in canada and was interested in your post. Did you get the Skype interview through just applying for jobs or did you have to go over there initially to meet them? I am reading lots of places that you really need to get over there, but your post has made me wonder if its possible to get an interview without visiting first.
Any information would be a great help
cheers

Neil
The trouble is, it may not be terribly relevant how others got job offers tbh, as it will depend on the individual's skills/experience & how in demand they are in Canada. Some will search for a year or more before they get lucky (or may never get lucky), because there are lots of others in Canada who could do their jobs, others are headhunted and offered jobs without applying for a single position. It will also depend on contacts - as I'm sure you've read in the Wiki, a lot of it is about 'networking', so again somebody that gets a job offer without a trip over there might have done so using contacts they already have.

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the main Canada forum with info on your job and your skills etc, then those in the same industry can advise you of your chances.

And if you do need to get out there and job hunt in person, look at is as a positive thing - good research before you spend such a huge amount of money on the move!

Good luck.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The trouble is, it may not be terribly relevant how others got job offers tbh, as it will depend on the individual's skills/experience & how in demand they are in Canada. Some will search for a year or more before they get lucky (or may never get lucky), because there are lots of others in Canada who could do their jobs, others are headhunted and offered jobs without applying for a single position. It will also depend on contacts - as I'm sure you've read in the Wiki, a lot of it is about 'networking', so again somebody that gets a job offer without a trip over there might have done so using contacts they already have.

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the main Canada forum with info on your job and your skills etc, then those in the same industry can advise you of your chances.

And if you do need to get out there and job hunt in person, look at is as a positive thing - good research before you spend such a huge amount of money on the move!

Good luck.
Unfortunately, I agree. I had no real expectations other than getting my name known and maybe have some chats with recruiters (which I have done a lot of, for a long time). There is a shortage of experience in my field, so much so Ontario changed its PNP as companies claimed they could not find the staff for senior roles, obviously there must be stats to back this up. I think this was my 6th application to the same company and this time I ticked their boxes.

Ive still not seen an offer letter yet, so there are no chickens being counted
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Does anybody know "roughly" how long LMIA's are taking in Ontario atm?

I'd forgotten all about that, so when the company said they were seeking approvals I assumed (Ass, me etc) they meant internally. Hopefully, today is day 7, but probably day 6, not that I'm sure if I fall into skilled trades anyway (for the 10-day turnaround)

Last edited by LonelyCloud; Oct 23rd 2017 at 1:15 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 7:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
Does anybody know "roughly" how long LMIA's are taking in Ontario atm?

I'd forgotten all about that, so when the company said they were seeking approvals I assumed (Ass, me etc) they meant internally. Hopefully, today is day 7, but probably day 6, not that I'm sure if I fall into skilled trades anyway (for the 10-day turnaround)
1. After advertising the position for 4 weeks then you are looking at 10-12 weeks for an approved LMIA if it is not considered a high wage position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.