Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Shipping Household Goods - Import Duty ?

Shipping Household Goods - Import Duty ?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:11 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Household Goods - Import Duty ?

Hi all,

Can anyone advise what the score is regarding shipping household stuff from the UK ?

Say your goods are woth $20,000, what will the import taxation rate be ? Are there any specific items subject to higher duty (or better still, tax exempt) or is it applied across the board ?

Obviously the goods need to match the list of items on the Canadian Customs list we submit. I hear they even want serial numbers, makes and models as well as receipts, is that correct ?

Any advice/experiences welcomed and appreciated.

Rich.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:44 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Shipping Household Goods - Import Duty ?

I am not sure , but you should not pay duty on used goods, that you are bringing in to the country, that are your property and not to be resold. This is why you have to provide a list of goods to follow for Canadian Customs.

I think if you have any electrical goods Video cameras, cd players, especially under a certain age you should show receipts if you have them to prove that they are yours and when and where you purchased them.
I expect customs and excise would able to help you.

As none of our stuff will work in canada, what we would bring in would not be of huge value to any one.
My husbands CD collection is about the most valuable, hundreds will have to come with us!.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

I seem to remember that goods imported (as in household goods) are tax free upto a limit of I think $10,000. Don;t quote me on this but check on the Customs and Excise site
www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca
to find out for sure. Its unlikely tha your goods will come to more than that unless you have antiques as the figure is the second hand value NOT replacement value. To give you an example, when I had my mothers estate valued it only came to under £2000. We brought lots of boxes with paperbacks/hardbacks so we had to ask ourselves if we could sell a paperback for 50p or even less?
On the site you'll also find the Goods to Follow forms which may help.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich_007
Hi all,

Can anyone advise what the score is regarding shipping household stuff from the UK ?

Say your goods are woth $20,000, what will the import taxation rate be ? Are there any specific items subject to higher duty (or better still, tax exempt) or is it applied across the board ?

Obviously the goods need to match the list of items on the Canadian Customs list we submit. I hear they even want serial numbers, makes and models as well as receipts, is that correct ?

Any advice/experiences welcomed and appreciated.

Rich. [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx folks esp. for the website link.

Ref goods, there was a post on the other Canada forum on here a few days back about electrical goods. You can use them over there eg if TV's and videos play NTSC, also some info about 100-220 volt converters, well worth reading if you don't want to chuck out new stuff.

Your help is appreciated.

Rich.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Thanx folks esp. for the website link.

Ref goods, there was a post on the other Canada forum on here a few days back about electrical goods. You can use them over there eg if TV's and videos play NTSC, also some info about 100-220 volt converters, well worth reading if you don't want to chuck out new stuff.

Your help is appreciated.

Rich.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Kay Aleksic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rich_007
You should compare the cost of shipping and the cost of voltage converters against the difference between selling the item and buying a new one (better/newer model) in Canada.

You have to think about the hassle of shipping it, going to the warehouse and pick it up. Also, do you already have a house where you will have space for the goods or will you need to put them in storage for some time.

I would, if the calculation gives me only a small advantage in shipping it, just leave it behind. Unless it's some item of personal memories you don't want to part with.

Kay