Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Shipping to Canada before PR approval

Shipping to Canada before PR approval

Old May 2nd 2014, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

doctore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping to Canada before PR approval

I would be grateful if you could give me some advice? I have just submitted the application for PR spousal sponsorship via London (outland) but want to join my husband in Canada in August as a visitor while we wait for the PR to come through. Does anyone know whether I can ship my belongings to Canada as a visitor, or would I need to wait for PR status? Thanks in advance!
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to Canada before PR approval

Short answer is to ship them once you have obtained PR status to avoid complications and having CBSA possibly take a security deposit until you get official PR status. You can bring clothing as such but if furniture etc etc Id wait as there is a very very remote chance your application could be denied.
What time frame are we talking about before the goods arrive and you getting PR status?
Did your husband declare some of the goods as goods to follow or was he still living in Canada when you were married and wasn't living outside Canada.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

doctore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Short answer is to ship them once you have obtained PR status to avoid complications and having CBSA possibly take a security deposit until you get official PR status. You can bring clothing as such but if furniture etc etc Id wait as there is a very very remote chance your application could be denied.
What time frame are we talking about before the goods arrive and you getting PR status?
Did your husband declare some of the goods as goods to follow or was he still living in Canada when you were married and wasn't living outside Canada.
Thank you for your reply. My husband is living in Canada and has been since before we got married in Canada in February, I'm back in the UK finishing up work and then heading over to join him. PR status is entirely unknown: we haven't had confirmation of stage 1 approval yet. I want to ship over my clothes, books, and a couple of items of furniture at the end of July, so it will probably be at least 3 months between shipping and getting PR status (assuming the whole process is taking about 6 months). What sort of security deposit could CBSA take?
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctore
Thank you for your reply. My husband is living in Canada and has been since before we got married in Canada in February, I'm back in the UK finishing up work and then heading over to join him. PR status is entirely unknown: we haven't had confirmation of stage 1 approval yet. I want to ship over my clothes, books, and a couple of items of furniture at the end of July, so it will probably be at least 3 months between shipping and getting PR status (assuming the whole process is taking about 6 months). What sort of security deposit could CBSA take?
Security deposit would depend on the value of the goods. Boxes of goods would attract less attention than a container full of goods so if feasible do it that way but if shipping by container then chances that is where your problem would lie.
Old May 2nd 2014, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Going Coastal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I have a similar query but different situation.
I came to the UK three years ago to be with my husband and only brought a few boxes. I will be returning with him and a 20' container.
We've just agreed to the sale of our house and also hope to move in August. His part of the application has been in process for two months now and though it shouldn't come to it, I'd like to know whether I ought to/can declare all goods as my own if he has to enter as a visitor under dual intent.
Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2014, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Going Coastal
Hello,
I have a similar query but different situation.
I came to the UK three years ago to be with my husband and only brought a few boxes. I will be returning with him and a 20' container.
We've just agreed to the sale of our house and also hope to move in August. His part of the application has been in process for two months now and though it shouldn't come to it, I'd like to know whether I ought to/can declare all goods as my own if he has to enter as a visitor under dual intent.
Thanks!
If you are a Canadian citizen returning to Canada having lived abroad and have previously lived in Canada then you would be treated as a former resident of Canada as per this link

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-3-2-eng.html

Where goods are being imported by a family where one is a Canadian citizen who is returning to Canada after living abroad and previously has lived in Canada then the above link should be read as opposed to a family who are emigrating to Canada and have never lived in Canada who are treated as settlers.

The only downfall of using the former Resident of Canada provisions is the any one item valued at over $10,000 provisions. That provision is not applicable to a settler. If there is not one single item valued at $10,000 or more then use it to import the goods. CBSA don't care about the status of the other person per se as you are married and they don't expect a couple/family to split up a shipment of their goods because one has status and the others don't.

Link for settlers effects
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-2-1-eng.html
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Going Coastal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link. Nothing we own is individually worth that much so we'll be ok. Really expecting the PR well before then but was curious anyway.