To ship or not to ship?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To ship or not to ship?

Just wanted to know if anyone has advice or experience about what can (or cannot) be brought into Canada.
We have packed most of our household goods but have heard 'horror' stories about customs ordering a container returned to the UK because it included an item of gardening such as a fork. (told usually by a shipping agent) :scared:

Cannot find definative info' on any Gov' web site so we've packed our bikes and garden furniture but no gardening implements.

Has anyone had any problems with this issue?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:53 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To ship or not to ship?

Originally Posted by burmonk1
Just wanted to know if anyone has advice or experience about what can (or cannot) be brought into Canada.
We have packed most of our household goods but have heard 'horror' stories about customs ordering a container returned to the UK because it included an item of gardening such as a fork. (told usually by a shipping agent) :scared:

Cannot find definative info' on any Gov' web site so we've packed our bikes and garden furniture but no gardening implements.

i am not an expert mate, but i would say that any sharp objects should be avoided!
take anything u want to otherwise. i doubt u will have any troubles.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 6:50 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Tools are alowd in the container, but for any gardening tools or furniture, make sure they are clean and have no soil left on them, you may even want to list them as "cleaned garden tools". Otherwise, you may just want to contact a moving company and ask them to provide you with the rules.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:13 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
Tools are alowd in the container, but for any gardening tools or furniture, make sure they are clean and have no soil left on them, you may even want to list them as "cleaned garden tools". Otherwise, you may just want to contact a moving company and ask them to provide you with the rules.
Our shippers advised the same, plus any gardening/outdoor boots to be scrubbed spotlessly clean. Plants pots (!!!) the same.

Foodstuffs, spices, herbs, plant products/by products, toiletries (like large containers of chemicals/hair stuff, aerosols etc).

Apart from that.... oh and there's the debate about whether mattresses can be taken. Seems to be some confusion about that. Our shippers said no probs, others have been told it's a no go cos of health concerns (of the many billion festering bugs living in the average mattress I guess).

Cheers,

Rich.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:29 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I had no problem with mattresses, plant pots and the like, and I believe that my removers *may* have transported soil and food.... :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:36 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I had no problem with mattresses, plant pots and the like, and I believe that my removers *may* have transported soil and food.... :scared:
Same with me, Sarah,

But I think we both just got lucky. I would not risk it again. :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by mhhp
Same with me, Sarah,

But I think we both just got lucky. I would not risk it again. :scared: :scared:
Same here, we had the garden tools, petrol mower, some alcohol and a collection of non perishable foodstuffs.

The tools and mower had to be scrubbed and we would have been in trouble with the drink and food if caught.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Some of the things that should be avoided : -

1. HEDs (High Explosive Devices)
2. Magazines (including 9mm, 12mm etc..)

The list goes on and on and on and on and on..............................

Just kidding... Have a great landing.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:05 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

We had a quote yesterday for shipping and the guy told me that garden tools would be fine as long as they were extremely clean, he said that they don,t like british dirt!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cashew is on a distinguished road

Will it be okay if some of our goods to follow are sent via Amtrak? Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Immigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I guess the garden fork thing goes back to the Foot and Mouth outbreak we had a couple of years ago in the UK. We had to scrub all outdoor footwear, bike tires etc with bleach and sign to say it had been done when we shipped our stuff over. Check out the link it will guide you on what you can ship and it's official!

http://canadainternational.gc.ca/GTC...borders-en.htm

Good luck
Rob
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

lazyant is on a distinguished road

This is the link to the official info (from the paper they included with my passport) : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4151-e.html