Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Setting up a pension in Canada – advice please

Setting up a pension in Canada – advice please

Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

jenintheden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up a pension in Canada – advice please

My husband has been offered a job in Vancouver and we intend to move in a couple of months’ time. I will look for a job on arrival. We don’t know how long we’ll be staying – at least a couple of years, could be longer (probably not forever).

I’m trying to work out what to do about pensions. His employer does not have a pension scheme (I obviously don’t know if mine will).

We want to make retirement savings of some sort while we’re away but I don’t know what the best thing to do would be. I think the options are:

1. Transfer some of our earnings to private pensions in the UK
2. Open up some form of private pension in Canada (I have no idea how this would work)
3. Pay into some other form of investment in Canada
4. Something else…?

Does anyone have any experience of this? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each option?

What do Canadians usually do?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Moondoggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting up a pension in Canada – advice please

Hi,

Not wanting to be a pain, but I think you might get a better response if you post this in the Canada 'General' forum section, this sub-forum is mainly concerned with immigration queries and discussion.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 2:48 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a pension in Canada – advice please

Originally Posted by jenintheden
My husband has been offered a job in Vancouver and we intend to move in a couple of months’ time. I will look for a job on arrival. We don’t know how long we’ll be staying – at least a couple of years, could be longer (probably not forever).

I’m trying to work out what to do about pensions. His employer does not have a pension scheme (I obviously don’t know if mine will).

We want to make retirement savings of some sort while we’re away but I don’t know what the best thing to do would be. I think the options are:

1. Transfer some of our earnings to private pensions in the UK
2. Open up some form of private pension in Canada (I have no idea how this would work)
3. Pay into some other form of investment in Canada
4. Something else…?

Does anyone have any experience of this? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each option?

What do Canadians usually do?
What Canadians usually do isn't really what you need to know, not being Canadians.

If you were planning on staying permanently, then that would be another matter but if you are not, then it doesn't make sense to transfer UK work-related pensions. This will incur a charge which can be quite substantial and not worth it if you are only staying a short while.

I know that you can continue to make voluntary contributions to National Insurance so that your UK State pension will still be up to scratch if you do not already have 30 years of contributions. (30 years contributions is what you need to get the full State Pension in the UK.)