Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

September TO visit - can I go and talk to someone?

September TO visit - can I go and talk to someone?

Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default September TO visit - can I go and talk to someone?

Hi,

This is a great site, posted before and got some good adivse. It seem the best route for me is to get my Canadian partner to sponsor me.

In September i'm going out to Toronto for a six week visit with my partner. Is their any place I could go and talk to someone about the option and best route to take to get me into Canada.

I'm currently self employed and want to move and go and live with my partner. But not sure if to get a job or go in and start my own business, the first option is the best option I feel. But the CIC site is not easy to understand, so I prefer to talk to people face to face. Should I be getting a work visa sorted or just get sponsorsed. What do you do.

Of course she will need to support me for the process duration and I dont think thats fare I want to work to help out. Or is it best if I just stay in the UK during it all. We are looking to get married in TO. Should this happen once I have moved over to Canada.

Can I live with my partner during the application process, I assume I cant work if I did that.... it's all a bit confusing.

One more thing I'm a freelance website designer, can I go to Canada and still do this job remotly (of course technically I can do it from Canada that is not the problem) but I will be working for a UK company but doing the work in Canada and mailing it back, is that legal. Would I need a work VISA for that too.

Cheers

Ray and Claire

Last edited by Raymate; Aug 6th 2005 at 5:00 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

imagination92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: September TO visit - can I go and talk to someone?

you can email me if you want to have my laywer in toronto contact address. I use their service and also during my visit to toronto in April 2004, i visited their office which was good in sense that once you meet the potential laywer you could have better understanding of your situation.

[email protected]

i dont feel to put the info on open forum.

Good luck with your journey.

Ray and Claire[/QUOTE]

Last edited by imagination92; Aug 6th 2005 at 7:03 pm. Reason: typing mistake
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Start here : http://www.settlement.org/sys/link_r...doc_id=1000995
go to one of those seminars and work your way up from there. You'll be amazed how easy it is to talk to the right people and how willing they are to listen to you if your intentions are sincere and you got a well prepared business plan.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Jenna31 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are getting married, it seems to me the easiest way to go would be through the family class, spousal sponsorship.
The CIC site has a family class section.
Determining whether to do outside spouse (where you would stay in your country while they process your application) or inside spouse (where you stay in canada while they process your application) is an individual choice you have to make.

For my application, we decided it best I stay in the USA (I'm a USA citizen) and we do the outside spousal thing, because I can work in the USA and keep busy while I wait. I get bored easily and I didn't want to not be able to work.
I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, that if you go the inside spouse route, you can't work until you get Approval in Principal, and that can take at least six months. And sometimes longer, depending on your individual case. But you also get to be with your spouse. It all depends on what is best for you.

Good luck! Best thing to do is research the CIC website, or consult a professional. We opted to do the forms ourselves, but some people feel more comfortable having a professional handle their cases. Whatever works for you and gives you peace of mind.

Last edited by Jenna31; Aug 7th 2005 at 12:31 am.