Wikiposts

Self Employed / PR card

Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:02 am
Just Joined

picklemum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed / PR card

I apologise if this question has already been asked but I've searched the forums and can't find anything specifically relevant.

Me and my partner are hoping to emigrate to Canada. We don't mind if it's initially temporary, although it looks like the only way we can go is to apply for Permanent Residence.

We are both Freelance Artist/Designers. We both score highly on the "points" scale and already work for Canadian/American clients. I have an agent for my artwork in Canada.

Is that enough? What is the likelihood that we could both get a visa? Or can just one of us apply and the other tag along (we're not married but have cohabited for 4 years)

Thanks!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed / PR card

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by picklemum
We are both Freelance Artist/Designers. We both score highly on the "points" scale and already work for Canadian/American clients. I have an agent for my artwork in Canada.
I assume you are talking about applying for PR via the Self Employed program? If so, as well as the points, you just need to make sure you meet the rest of the criteria i.e. have been self employed for at least 2 years out of the past 5 etc.

What is the likelihood that we could both get a visa? Or can just one of us apply and the other tag along (we're not married but have cohabited for 4 years)
You would both get PR, as if you have lived together for a year or more you'd be deemed to be 'common-law spouses' in CIC's eyes, so would go on one application.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 8th 2010 at 9:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks!
I've been self employed for 3 years. My partner has only been for 1 year... does that matter? (if I'm petitioning)

What is the likelihood of the PR being approved then, if we meet the requirements?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I've been self employed for 3 years. My partner has only been for 1 year... does that matter? (if I'm petitioning)

What is the likelihood of the PR being approved then, if we meet the requirements?
In which case, you would need to be the one that applies, and your partner would go on your application.

The chance is good, assuming of course that you fulfil the duties listed under the NOC code you'd be applying under, can prove the self-employed bit, have enough proof of funds, pass the medicals, no criminal record etc.! Nobody can guarantee it, but if you meet all the requirements then there's no reason why you wouldn't get PR at the end of it all.

Old Oct 8th 2010, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help!
Well, it all sounds positive so I guess we'll fill out the application and keep our fingers crossed