Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Self employed-own business question

Self employed-own business question

Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Default Self employed-own business question

Good morning from the UK,

I would like to know if we are allowed to set up a business and use the profit to live on while awaiting our PR application?
If so would we have to pay tax in the UK, Canada or both?

Thanks for any advice
Sonia

Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:17 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Re: Self employed-own business question

Basically No. You cannot work without a visa.
Although you can buy a house and rent it out, and pay tax etc.
But you can only stay for 3-6 months at a time as a visitor.

Originally Posted by scollis
Good morning from the UK,

I would like to know if we are allowed to set up a business and use the profit to live on while awaiting our PR application?
If so would we have to pay tax in the UK, Canada or both?

Thanks for any advice
Sonia

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

paulandjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gooding
Basically No. You cannot work without a visa.
Although you can buy a house and rent it out, and pay tax etc.
But you can only stay for 3-6 months at a time as a visitor.
were are you planning on setting up the business??
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough

We think Ontario, however, part of the idea of going over before PR is to make decisions like where to settle before PR so that we can hit the ground running.
Just want to get on with it now we have decided to go and want to start our new lives ASAP.
Have you done this?
Regards Sonia

Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scollis
We think Ontario, however, part of the idea of going over before PR is to make decisions like where to settle before PR so that we can hit the ground running.
Just want to get on with it now we have decided to go and want to start our new lives ASAP.
Have you done this?
Regards Sonia

hi sonia
nope we havnt done this as yet however we have applied under the entrepreneur scheme(still waiting)
as far as i,m aware if you are still a uk resident then you pay tax to the uk taxman on any income but you must inform the canadian authorities, i dont see a problem with stating a business in canada as long as youve got somoeone to look after things whilst your still waitng for your pr.i would seek advice from a good accountant though
hope this helps
paul
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:04 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandjo
hi sonia
nope we havnt done this as yet however we have applied under the entrepreneur scheme(still waiting)
as far as i,m aware if you are still a uk resident then you pay tax to the uk taxman on any income but you must inform the canadian authorities, i dont see a problem with stating a business in canada as long as youve got somoeone to look after things whilst your still waitng for your pr.i would seek advice from a good accountant though
hope this helps
paul
The idea as I understood it was to come to Canada as a visitor, start a business and run it while a PR application was in process. That is a non-starter. You would have to hire someone who is already a PR or Cdn. citizen to operate it for you as you could not take any active role in it whatever. That seems a risky proposition.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

Sonia, Paul,
I applied as an entrepreneur too.Not a lot of information to be found about entrepreneurs.If I'm not mistaking, only about 5% or less of all applications are under that class.

hi sonia
hope this helps
paul
Old Oct 27th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
Sonia, Paul,
I applied as an entrepreneur too.Not a lot of information to be found about entrepreneurs.If I'm not mistaking, only about 5% or less of all applications are under that class.
We applied through London in May 2003, and have had our medicals (Sept 04) and sent additional paperwork (Oct 04)........
What is your timeline?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough

I'm at the start of the whole process. Brought my application in at the Paris office this month and still waiting for my AO. I have no clue what the Paris timeline is, I'm anticipating between 12 and 24 months.
cheers

We applied through London in May 2003, and have had our medicals (Sept 04) and sent additional paperwork (Oct 04)........
What is your timeline?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are thinking of applying to emigrate to canada via the entrepeneur catogary as we don't fit into any of the others.
It seems dificult to get consistant info about some of the criteria.
I was trying to find out whether the full time wage equivelents can include both applicant and spouse as well as staff emplyed by us.
Anyone know, as I have seen conflicting info about this.

It's good to see some entrepeneurs on the forum as very few threads feature the business catogories.
If only 5% apply under the entrepenuer avenue maybe thats why.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:07 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

The number of Business class applicants is quite low mainly because most people who can qualify in Busiess class can also qualify as Skilled Workers, thus there is absolutely no need for them to apply in Business class.

Then of course you also have a lot of refusals in Business class due to few main factors - not meeting requirements or lack of conclusive evidence of meeting requirements, poor application preparation and inadmissibility.

Please don't be offended here but your question indicates that you may easy become one of those refused due to lack of proper preparation or conclusive evidence. I don't know where you are getting your "conflicting info" from, but it seems that you are either looking in wrong places or are misinterpreting quite complex rules and requirements.

What "full time wage equivalents" are you asking for? If it is about counting number of employees then partners or spouses don't count here. If you are asking about net income factor (where owner's compensation can be added to the total) then other than owner/partner salaries can't be counted here.

Do yourself a favour and get professional help. If you can financially qualify as Entrpreneur than don't take any risk by trying to "save" money by preparing application on your own. The cost of lost time and possible refusal will be several times higher than cost of hiring experienced in Business class authorized representative in Canada.

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi

We are thinking of applying to emigrate to canada via the entrepeneur catogary as we don't fit into any of the others.
I was trying to find out whether the full time wage equivelents can include both applicant and spouse as well as staff emplyed by us.

It's good to see some entrepeneurs on the forum as very few threads feature the business catogories.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi

Before applying in the entrepreneur class you need to understand what a " qualifying business" is. This is explained well on the CIC site. Next hard thing to do is to give proof that you had such a business, this information is harder to find and ,like Mr Miller said , it might be good to have professional help for that.
These two checklists might give you an idea of what specific proof is asked for :
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...p/e_entchk.pdf
and:
http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/austral...preneur-en.asp

Also, always keep in mind that an entrepreneur visa is conditional. Meaning that you need , within 3 years after landing, to proof you had a " qualified Canadian business" for at least 1 year AND employed 1 Canadian resident.
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Where are the entrepreneurs on this board.?...wake up guys. :scared: