Self employed in Nova Scotia.

Old May 8th 2012, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

triskel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self employed in Nova Scotia.

On the back of the fantastic advice given on this forum, I am applying for provincial nomination when the police certificate comes back but I have been offered an opportunity to take over some more work. The additional work would be self employed. Ideally, I would eventually quit where I work now and run my own business but need to work both together for a while.

I am a temporary worker with a fixed work permit.

What is the quickest way for me to be able to set up on my own to take on the additional work whilst continuing to work where I am. I don't want the new work to be in any way tied to my present employer.
thanks for your help.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self employed in Nova Scotia.

You can do both, but you're not allowed to work for anybody else on your current TWP other than your existing employer, so you'll need a new LMO/TWP for the other role.

Failing that, you can wait until you get to the first stage of approval for your PNP application when you'll get an open work permit, that would then allow you to work for the new employer on a self-employed basis.

HTH.

Old May 8th 2012, 10:08 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that is right - you can get a work permit but it would be linked to an employer.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

triskel is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is the second place would be one day per week and it is not salaried, it would be I earn what I work for.
Is there any scope to apply for PR as an entrepreneur? New Brunswick offered to waive all asset demands for me to open a business there aith grants and as much assistence as they could provide. Are Nova Scotia offering the same set up?
Old May 9th 2012, 12:47 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triskel
The problem is the second place would be one day per week and it is not salaried, it would be I earn what I work for.
Is there any scope to apply for PR as an entrepreneur? New Brunswick offered to waive all asset demands for me to open a business there aith grants and as much assistence as they could provide. Are Nova Scotia offering the same set up?
Give them a call - see what they say
Old May 9th 2012, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I'm not sure that is right - you can get a work permit but it would be linked to an employer.
Really? So under the NS CIS the work permit that you can apply for is tied to an employer? That seems odd, as it's not an employer driven stream and no job offer is required.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really? So under the NS CIS the work permit that you can apply for is tied to an employer? That seems odd, as it's not an employer driven stream and no job offer is required.
That is correct. You need to supply NSNP with information on the employer etc and they will write a letter stating the employer info etc, as they would if you applied under NSNP Skilled Worker route.