Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Second Thoughts on PR / Cold Feet!!

Second Thoughts on PR / Cold Feet!!

Old Aug 31st 2001, 12:07 am
Andreanicole

We have recently applied for PR through an agency in the UK as a skilled worker.

I have a 1st Class BSc Hons in Computing and have an engineering background
(electrical/electronic) and I now work as a Software Developer. My job title in the
IMM8 is as a Software Development Programmer.

After an initial meeting with the director of the agency we were told that I would
have no problems finding employment and improving our quality of life in Canada. We
currently own a three bedroom detached house (half paid - half mortgage), 2 cars and
a healthy bank balance - only one of us is working.

We have paid £3000 for the agency fees (which will supposedly include a job search
and financial review once visas are obtained) and we have also paid approx. £1650 for
processing, landing fees and qualification assessments - probably about £5000 in
total with other minor expenses!

After viewing various postings in this NG we are beginning to have serious doubts as
to whether we have done the right thing and if the advice we recieved was just "sales
talk" or genuine information.

We know that if we get the visas we are not obliged to do anything.

We wanted to make the move because we have read that the standard of living is
higher, crime is lower, education is better all based against the UK.

We are just very disillusioned currently and would appreciate any advice based upon
first hand experience or any experts' factual knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mr & Mrs. Johnson