Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

RPRF receiver general, bank want address, help needed please

RPRF receiver general, bank want address, help needed please

Old May 8th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future
Default RPRF receiver general, bank want address, help needed please

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help please. My application is for MPNP and London office has asked for RPRF. I have just been in to my bank (Halifax) trying to get a bank draft and they will do this but they want an address for the Receiver General of Canada (payable to) and I have no idea what this is. Does anyone know what this is or where I could get this information please? Has anyone been asked this also?

I may have just overlooked this information somewhere and apologise if this is the case.

Thanks in advance
Old May 8th 2012, 3:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPRF receiver general, bank want address, help needed please

That is strange... there is no 'address' as far as I am aware, nor should one be needed for a bank draft.

I believe (but please wait for confirmation) that it is also possible to get a personal cheque certified by the bank (guaranteeing payment), so perhaps that would be an option?

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...is.aspx?view=d
Old May 8th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by siouxie
That is strange... there is no 'address' as far as I am aware, nor should one be needed for a bank draft.

I believe (but please wait for confirmation) that it is also possible to get a personal cheque certified by the bank (guaranteeing payment), so perhaps that would be an option?

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...is.aspx?view=d
Hi, Thanks so much for your answer, I really appreciate it as i am confused and think its strange also. They said because of 'money laundering' there is a new government 'thing' that they want addresses in order to be able to keep track of money - or something to that effect. They said its part of a form that has to have information in that section and part of that information is an address (in this case Canadian address for receiver general).

Its very annoying as they also said they had never heard of putting the Canadian bank info on it either but would put it on the form.

I will go and try and get it done without an address and if not will ask for a certified cheque and hopefully will have more luck with that.

So many people must have done this without an address, its a little frustrating. Thanks again for your help.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
Hi, Thanks so much for your answer, I really appreciate it as i am confused and think its strange also. They said because of 'money laundering' there is a new government 'thing' that they want addresses in order to be able to keep track of money - or something to that effect. They said its part of a form that has to have information in that section and part of that information is an address (in this case Canadian address for receiver general).

Its very annoying as they also said they had never heard of putting the Canadian bank info on it either but would put it on the form.

I will go and try and get it done without an address and if not will ask for a certified cheque and hopefully will have more luck with that.

So many people must have done this without an address, its a little frustrating. Thanks again for your help.
Provide them with the address of the CIC London office. That should be sufficient.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Or try the Post Office? We got our bank draft from there (about 6 weeks ago) and no address needed.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Receiver General for Canada
Place du Portage
Phase III, Core 11A2
11 Laurier Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0S5

It's the Canadian Government's tax/revenue collection arm.
Old May 8th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Provide them with the address of the CIC London office. That should be sufficient.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I asked when I was in there and said that I could get the London address and they said because its in Canadian Dollars it has to be a Canadian address. However I will be going in again in the morning and will take the London address with me and try that also and let you know if that works. Perhaps a different person behind the counter might make a difference however he asked a couple of people questions for each step of the form so Im not so sure. Will try it though.
Old May 8th 2012, 4:01 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thank you for your reply. I asked when I was in there and said that I could get the London address and they said because its in Canadian Dollars it has to be a Canadian address. However I will be going in again in the morning and will take the London address with me and try that also and let you know if that works. Perhaps a different person behind the counter might make a difference however he asked a couple of people questions for each step of the form so Im not so sure. Will try it though.
Give them the CIO Sydney address instead then - that is in Nova Scotia.

47-49 Dorchester Street
Sydney
Nova Scotia B1P 5Z2
Old May 8th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi scheherazade, I will try the Post Office after trying my bank again in the morning. Thank you, it sounds like a plan that will work hopefully.

Auld Yin/AmyDavid thanks for this, which address do you think will be best or is it just a case of giving one a go and seeing what happens?
Old May 8th 2012, 4:15 pm

Hi scheherazade, I will try the Post Office after trying my bank again in the morning. Thank you, it sounds like a plan that will work hopefully.

Auld Yin/AmyDavid thanks for this, which address do you think will be best or is it just a case of giving one a go and seeing what happens?
I really don't think it matters at all - they are both Government addresses so either would work
Old May 8th 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I really don't think it matters at all - they are both Government addresses so either would work

Thanks so much again, will try this tomorrow morning and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for your help, will let you know what happens. I really thought this would be the easiest part of the application - jump into a bank, get a bank draft, go home .
Old May 9th 2012, 3:42 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Why do British banks make such a mess of foreign currency banker's cheques? And money laundering via Canada's Receiver General is a farcical excuse. Tell them you are paying a fee to the Canadian government and that is the payee for such matters.
Old May 9th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Why do British banks make such a mess of foreign currency banker's cheques? And money laundering via Canada's Receiver General is a farcical excuse. Tell them you are paying a fee to the Canadian government and that is the payee for such matters.
Hi Jim, thank you for your advice. Well, finally I have managed to order a bank draft!!!! . Today at the bank it was the same thing again and I had taken all of the addresses and said what Jim stated above. They looked at me blankly and just said, because of money laundering we need an address for this box - so I said well, take whichever address you think will be best for you!. At this point a manager was called and she said it shouldnt matter as long as the payee is written correctly - thank goodness . They then decided between three people to take the London address .

Next the clearing bank issue, two blank faces and a manager later someone said it will be written on it automatically. I asked if they were sure and they said the manager seems to think so. So I finally managed to order a bank draft which will take 7-10 working days to arrive. They were unable to let me know how of cost so prior to it being issued they will phone me to agree the charges. I said it doesnt matter what the charges are, just go ahead, ohhh no we cant, someone will phone you . At this point, I said no problem as there were no other options. Wow, talk about going round the roundabouts!! At least its ordered, will see what turns up .

Thank you again guys for all of your help
Old May 9th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant future

Hi Jim, thank you for your advice. Well, finally I have managed to order a bank draft!!!! . Today at the bank it was the same thing again and I had taken all of the addresses and said what Jim stated above. They looked at me blankly and just said, because of money laundering we need an address for this box - so I said well, take whichever address you think will be best for you!. At this point a manager was called and she said it shouldnt matter as long as the payee is written correctly - thank goodness . They then decided between three people to take the London address .

Next the clearing bank issue, two blank faces and a manager later someone said it will be written on it automatically. I asked if they were sure and they said the manager seems to think so. So I finally managed to order a bank draft which will take 7-10 working days to arrive. They were unable to let me know how of cost so prior to it being issued they will phone me to agree the charges. I said it doesnt matter what the charges are, just go ahead, ohhh no we cant, someone will phone you . At this point, I said no problem as there were no other options. Wow, talk about going round the roundabouts!! At least its ordered, will see what turns up .

Thank you again guys for all of your help
Hi violets,

Can't we pay the RPRF fees via credit card ... Like the PR application fees? With your experience it all seemed like a difficult process for such a simple thing. Anyways, hoping you get it soon.

All the best
Old May 9th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lovely_clouds
Hi violets,

Can't we pay the RPRF fees via credit card ... Like the PR application fees? With your experience it all seemed like a difficult process for such a simple thing. Anyways, hoping you get it soon.

All the best
Hiya Lovely_clouds, thank you I hope so too. No, its not possible to pay by credit card, that would have been so easy .

From outside Canada you have to pay by bank draft/cheque (according to what I have read in the information from the London website - see below). Hopefully it will work out okay , Im sure it will and I am guessing its just snags with the form and the bank tellers not being 100% sure what to do with it.
Thanks again

Fees for the Visa and Immigration Section in London

If you submit the incorrect fee with your application, your application will be returned to you. This can cause you significant delays, so calculate your fee carefully.

Methods of payment
(Except for applicants for temporary resident visas in the Nordic countries)
Applications mailed to our office or dropped off in our drop box:
The fees accompanying a permanent residence application must be paid using a Bank Draft / Bank Cheque in Canadian dollars. Do not submit cash.

A bank draft / bank cheque is a cheque issued by a bank payable to a person, in this case the Receiver General for Canada. The name of the Canadian bank that will pay the Receiver General for Canada will be written on the cheque.

The bank draft, bank cheque or postal order should be made payable to the: Receiver General for Canada

Write your name and address on the back of the bank draft.

If your application is received at this office without the processing fee attached, it will be returned to you. In some countries, banks provide the service of forwarding your bank draft / bank cheque directly to this office. Please ensure that this is not done and that your fee accompanies your application.

This office does not accept:

Cash sent by mail or placed in the drop box
Uncertified personal cheques
Company cheques
British pound drafts drawn on foreign banks
Canadian postal orders
Euro-cheques
Credit or debit cards
Canadian dollar drafts where the “clearing bank” is not in Canada (check with your bank if you are unsure)
Currency other than Canadian dollars or British pounds

Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) Applicants for permanent residence can pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee ($490) at the time they submit their application or at a later date when requested. The processing fee is still required when submitting an application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.