Wikiposts

Which route to PR?

Old Sep 1st 2020, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Kairos2025 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which route to PR?

Thanks to helpful folks for helpful information on this forum. I tried reading through relevant ones over the last few months.

My wife and I are planning to apply for Canadian PR in a few years time and would appreciate your guidance in deciding which is the best route towards Canadian PR?
I think I managed 74 points under Federal Skill Workers, as follow:
Language 24
Education (PhD for me; wife and I obtained Masters from Canadian University,) 25
Work Experience (no Canadian experience) 15
Adaptability 10 (wife has English, Canadian Masters, daughter is Canadian)

Unfortunately, my CRS point is 428 (without job offer); at 58, age is not on my side. Assuming highest language points, no Canadian work experience. We dont have siblings who are Canadian, but if Canadian daughter is counted (??), then I will have 431 points, which I am aware is still too low to receive ITA. Long term plan is to eventually retire in Canada to be near our daughter.

Which route is best to obtain Canadian PR?:
A) Apply for parents supervisa in a few years time. While in Canada on Parent's supervisa, can our daughter then apply to sponsor us for Canadian PR, even though it might take a further few years to obtain the PR? Would supervisa minimise chances of getting Canadian PR? If so, might it be better not to go Parents super Visa route but wait for daughter to sponsor parents for Canadian PR? Our daughter just started work so, she needs to get earn the right level of income before being qualified to sponsor both parents. She is in Toronto but we are open for elsewhere.

B) Apply for a job in 2-3 years time, though I think chances are slim, due to my lack of Canadian experience and age. I am currently a CEO of a global humanitarian charity in UK. I think most charities might not want to go through LMIA, pay extra and wait for Express Entry (6-9 months?). I have also been a lecturer, having taught for 7 years before joining the charity). However, if I hope to get a job offer (additional 50 points), I might need to apply earlier in 2 years time when I am 60 years old, assuming it becomes more difficult to get a job as one gets older!

Are there other routes or suggestions such as PNP which I should explore? For example, can we enter via Parent's supervisa, make connections and possibly, we could get a job offer, and re-apply for Express Entry, with higher CRS points, possibly 478? Thanks for your kind help.

Last edited by Kairos2025; Sep 1st 2020 at 2:33 am.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which route to PR?

Originally Posted by Kairos2025
Thanks to helpful folks for helpful information on this forum. I tried reading through relevant ones over the last few months.

My wife and I are planning to apply for Canadian PR in a few years time and would appreciate your guidance in deciding which is the best route towards Canadian PR?
I think I managed 74 points under Federal Skill Workers, as follow:
Language 24
Education (PhD for me; wife and I obtained Masters from Canadian University,) 25
Work Experience (no Canadian experience) 15
Adaptability 10 (wife has English, Canadian Masters, daughter is Canadian)

Unfortunately, my CRS point is 428 (without job offer); at 58, age is not on my side. Assuming highest language points, no Canadian work experience. We dont have siblings who are Canadian, but if Canadian daughter is counted (??), then I will have 431 points, which I am aware is still too low to receive ITA. Long term plan is to eventually retire in Canada to be near our daughter.

Which route is best to obtain Canadian PR?:
A) Apply for parents supervisa in a few years time. While in Canada on Parent's supervisa, can our daughter then apply to sponsor us for Canadian PR, even though it might take a further few years to obtain the PR? Would supervisa minimise chances of getting Canadian PR? If so, might it be better not to go Parents super Visa route but wait for daughter to sponsor parents for Canadian PR? Our daughter just started work so, she needs to get earn the right level of income before being qualified to sponsor both parents. She is in Toronto but we are open for elsewhere.

B) Apply for a job in 2-3 years time, though I think chances are slim, due to my lack of Canadian experience and age. I am currently a CEO of a global humanitarian charity in UK. I think most charities might not want to go through LMIA, pay extra and wait for Express Entry (6-9 months?). I have also been a lecturer, having taught for 7 years before joining the charity). However, if I hope to get a job offer (additional 50 points), I might need to apply earlier in 2 years time when I am 60 years old, assuming it becomes more difficult to get a job as one gets older!

Are there other routes or suggestions such as PNP which I should explore? For example, can we enter via Parent's supervisa, make connections and possibly, we could get a job offer, and re-apply for Express Entry, with higher CRS points, possibly 478? Thanks for your kind help.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you have a Canadian daughter, then her sponsoring you/you going over on a supervisa whilst you wait for that is the obvious route to me. You could try for a job offer, but as you say, unfortunately your age and lack of Canadian experience will go against you and make it less likely that a Canadian employer will sponsor you (although worth noting that they wouldn't have to wait 6-9 months for you to get PR before you could start work - you'd just go over on a Temp Work Permit which is much quicker). You also say you would want to retire in Canada in a few years time, so going over with a job wouldn't be ideal as then you'd have to work!

So personally I'd just apply for the supervisa when you're ready to move, and have a PR app chugging along in the background. If you'd don't need/want to work then a supervisa is ideal for you.

Good luck.

Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Kairos2025 is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate very much kind & helpful response. So, a possible plan is to enter via Parents Supervisa. Can you comment, can I apply for long term Permanent Residence soon after (or I need to live in Canada for a number of years, build up my CRS points through local work and then only apply through Express Entry)? I am assuming that having Parents Supervisa does not limit the opportunity to apply for Canadian PR.

Secondly, there are no restrictions (while on Parents supervisa) to apply for jobs (assuming jobs meets LMIA and Companies willing to sponsor via work permits). Thanks very much for help.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate very much kind & helpful response. So, a possible plan is to enter via Parents Supervisa. Can you comment, can I apply for long term Permanent Residence soon after (or I need to live in Canada for a number of years, build up my CRS points through local work and then only apply through Express Entry)? I am assuming that having Parents Supervisa does not limit the opportunity to apply for Canadian PR.
No, it doesn't limit it at all, but would you have enough points for an EE app? You may find you need to wait until your daughter can sponsor you for PR, but that is a very good Plan B.

Secondly, there are no restrictions (while on Parents supervisa) to apply for jobs (assuming jobs meets LMIA and Companies willing to sponsor via work permits). Thanks very much for help.
None at all, you could job hunt with no issues.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at this post; am I correct in thinking that (for example) a 30 year old son or daughter could sponsor a 60 year old parent for PR but a 60 year old could not sponsor their 30 year old child for PR?
Old Sep 17th 2020, 1:59 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Looking at this post; am I correct in thinking that (for example) a 30 year old son or daughter could sponsor a 60 year old parent for PR but a 60 year old could not sponsor their 30 year old child for PR?
1. Yes, Except if the parent in Canada has no spouse , parents are deceased, and doesn't have a child, brother/sister/niece/nephew/aunt/uncle in Canada.
2. Note that there are a limited number of visa's available for parents/grandparents, when/if it re-opens.