RJM

Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:02 am
RJM
Just Joined

RJM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RJM

HELLO ALL,

2 questions for you.

1) do you need to be a PR to apply to the Police Forces in canada or do they consider you for a job prior to immigrating. Husband not in the british police but is serving his 23rd year with the Royal Navy. would this help or " carry any weight " towards an application?

2) If you apply to immigrate as a SW can you change the appliction type if you secure a job once the SW is submitted.

Many Thanks

RJM
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:07 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RJM

Police forces vary by province/territory/city so you need to look up specifics for each force. I'm fairly certain there have been people on this board applying for jobs in calgary police before getting their PR , try doing a search.

If the WIKI is working (it has been a bit flakey the past week or so) i would highly recommend you get your head down and do some reading , you can access it from the top panel of this page.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:20 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, RJM, and welcome to the BE forum.

Originally Posted by RJM
do you need to be a PR to apply to the Police Forces in canada or do they consider you for a job prior to immigrating.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), which is the federal police service, accepts only Canadian citizens. Most other police services, whether at the provincial or municipal level, accept citizens and permanent residents. The Calgary and Edmonton Police Services accept applications from British police officers. The candidates apply for entry to Canada via Alberta's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which is a fast route to permanent residence (PR). The candidates are allowed to start their training program before they've obtained PR, but they are allowed to go through their swearing in ceremony (or whatever it's called) and start working only once they're actual PRs.

Husband not in the british police but is serving his 23rd year with the Royal Navy. would this help or " carry any weight " towards an application?
I don't know, but I don't think so. I think they have enough applications from candidates who have actual police experience.

If you apply to immigrate as a SW can you change the appliction type if you secure a job once the SW is submitted.
Yes. You can get a temporary work permit (TWP). But, with that having been said, a TWP is quite tough to get. You have to find a job that no qualified Canadian wants.

The Wiki is working at the moment. At least it is for me.

Read Police-Canada.

Also read Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

If you have the resources, something that may work for you is Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:18 am
RJM
Just Joined

RJM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

Thank you for your replies to my earlier question regarding joining the police in canada.

Another "poser " for you ?

Has anyone used the Monster.ca and / or Workopolis.com sites to get a job?

RJM