Revocation of Permanent Residency

Old Feb 19th 2011, 7:49 pm
Duke of Africa

bryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant futurebryandavid has a brilliant future
Question Revocation of Permanent Residency

Dear All,

I have been advised that if I stay away from Canada for 2 years or more, that I will lose my permanent residency. Please can someone in the know confirm or refute. Many thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Revocation of Permanent Residency

Originally Posted by bryandavid
Dear All,

I have been advised that if I stay away from Canada for 2 years or more, that I will lose my permanent residency. Please can someone in the know confirm or refute. Many thanks.
You need to be in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 to maintain your PR status.

So if you landed in August 2009 (assuming your sig is right) then you must be in Canada by August 2012 at the latest, or loose PR. But bear in mind that time outside of Canada after you move wouldn't count (even a quick shopping trip over the border to the US, or any emergency trips back to your home country) so it's usually recommended that you give yourself at least 6 months leeway i.e. move by March 2012.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...cy_Obligations

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 19th 2011 at 8:04 pm.