Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK a week after landing

Returning to UK a week after landing

Old Oct 24th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

smithjm will become famous soon enough
Default Returning to UK a week after landing

Hi All,

I appreciate that people have asked Q's about landing before.

We have just received our PPR under the PNP route.
We are going out to Canada In Nov sometime for final preps before moving.

Is it better to wait until we return to take our passports to CHC or should I take them before and land when we go over for a week?
I don't mind taking our passports after we get back, but I am so busy in December as going away and making final plans and shipping our stuff in Jan before moving for good in early Feb.

I know that the PR card cannot be sent to the UK. We already have an address in Canada for them to be posted to, but can they then be posted out of Canada to the UK by our friends using a courier? I ask this as I know you need your PR card to return to Canada once you have landed.

What have others done?

Thanks,
Jay
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK a week after landing

Originally Posted by smithjm
I know that the PR card cannot be sent to the UK. We already have an address in Canada for them to be posted to, but can they then be posted out of Canada to the UK by our friends using a courier? I
They can be sent by courier. (not regular post).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:06 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I appreciate that people have asked Q's about landing before.

We have just received our PPR under the PNP route.
We are going out to Canada In Nov sometime for final preps before moving.

Is it better to wait until we return to take our passports to CHC or should I take them before and land when we go over for a week?
I don't mind taking our passports after we get back, but I am so busy in December as going away and making final plans and shipping our stuff in Jan before moving for good in early Feb.

I know that the PR card cannot be sent to the UK. We already have an address in Canada for them to be posted to, but can they then be posted out of Canada to the UK by our friends using a courier? I ask this as I know you need your PR card to return to Canada once you have landed.

What have others done?

Thanks,
Jay
You can do it either way thats your preferance, we landed and came back because house hadn't sold and had a relative post PR cards to us in UK. And before anyone says you dont need PR to get back into Canada, on are return at airport in Uk and on landing back in Canada we was asked for PR cards.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
And before anyone says you dont need PR to get back into Canada, on are return at airport in Uk and on landing back in Canada we was asked for PR cards.
You would have been admitted to Canada without them. They can just look you up in their system.

As for airline, depends on airline if you have a one way ticket (no problem if you have return).
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:46 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You would have been admitted to Canada without them. They can just look you up in their system.

As for airline, depends on airline if you have a one way ticket (no problem if you have return).
It was the one way ticket that made them ask, we had abit of a panic at one stage, because 1 out of the 4 PR cards didn't turn up, for 3 mths after the others and immigration said that we would only get back into Canada by buying a one time only visa at the additional cost of $50 As it turned out visa turned up, so no need to of worried.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I ask this as I know you need your PR card to return to Canada once you have landed.
No, you dont. In practice you dont need the PR card if you have a British or other visa waiver passport, that alone will enable you to get you on the plane. Then when you come through immigration they will ask for them, but when you dont have them they will be able to verify your status through your COPR.

PR card is a convenience for those with visa waiver passports, not a necessity. If you dont have a visa waiver passport you will be unable to board the plane without the PR card to prove you are admissable to canada the other end.

CICs official line is the everyone needs a PR card or Travel Document, but thats cos its more less confusing all around that way. In practice as long as you can get on the plane (as a visitor if necessary), Immigration can figure the rest out on arrival.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 24th 2007 at 3:19 pm.