Returning to the UK

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Spindleman will become famous soon enoughSpindleman will become famous soon enough
Default Returning to the UK

Hello everyone.. I am looking for any advice tips or pitfalls, my wife and I are considering moving back to the UK next year, she wishes to be near her family especially her mother in her final years. We have lived in Canada for 28 years and are now both Canadian citizens.We are thinking of the North West Fylde coast so she is close to her family. We are both in our early 50s so we will still have to work.Although we wont be destitute we will not have a fortune. Can I still work in the UK after all these years?We are quite simple folks and don't require any lavish housing, a bungalow would do fine,can I drive on my Canadian license,what should I take with me,
am I still covered under the NHS,what about my Canadian pension? Could somebody point me in the right direction
are there any websites that could help with info.
Any help would be appreciated.

Good luck and thank you all
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:09 am
Just Joined

jeannie 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Originally posted by Spindleman:
Hello everyone.. I am looking for any advice tips or pitfalls, my wife and I are considering moving back to the UK next year, she wishes to be near her family especially her mother in her final years. We have lived in Canada for 28 years and are now both Canadian citizens.We are thinking of the North West Fylde coast so she is close to her family. We are both in our early 50s so we will still have to work.Although we wont be destitute we will not have a fortune. Can I still work in the UK after all these years?We are quite simple folks and don't require any lavish housing, a bungalow would do fine,can I drive on my Canadian license,what should I take with me,
am I still covered under the NHS,what about my Canadian pension? Could somebody point me in the right direction
are there any websites that could help with info.
Any help would be appreciated.

Good luck and thank you all
Are you returning to Blackpool??

Do you know how high the cost of living is these days? it is going to be a hard go for you, go back for a month and check out stuff. you are going to be surprised.
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK

Originally posted by jeannie 1:

Are you returning to Blackpool??

Do you know how high the cost of living is these days? it is going to be a hard go for you, go back for a month and check out stuff. you are going to be surprised.

Hi
Were on Merseyside the housing prices where we live are similar on the North West coast. you may need 60.000-80.000 pounds
to buy a nice bungalow now. the house prices are increasing all the time. Renting is not an option we pay 85.00 per week for a small terraced with no garden or yard.
The basic community charge(Home tax) is around 79.00 per month. the water rates are about 18.00 per month. Plus TV liscence 90.00 per year and Car tax 120.00 per year. Car insurance in the North West is about 230.00 for 3rd party fire & theift on a small car with max no claims bonus. Food is dearer except for the cheaper imported brands from stores like Netto or Aldi which are tastless.
Home insurance is high in most city areas due to the crime rate. The roads are congested and rush hour never seems to stop.
You should check on the net some estate agents for homes in the area you want to live. You will be surprized at the prices.
Best Wishes