Returning resident

Old Oct 1st 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

vagg is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Returning resident

Hi,

I am returning to Canada for good as PR after around 2.25 years in Nov, 2004. Would greatly appreciate any advice/replies for the questions:

1. Is it ok to take computer harddisk in handbag or should I put it in checkin luggage? Actually I have lot of stuff on my computer harddisk which I would like to take along. Do customs people go to the extent of checking the harddisk contents?

2. I have got a job offer from a company in Detroit which has already filed my H1. If my H1 gets approved, I plan to stay in Windsor and daily do up down to Detroit which is just half an hour drive types. My question is that will I be able to satisfy my residency requirements of Canada in that manner by daily going to Detroit and coming back in the evening? And will there be any problem in terms of questioning etc. in crossing borders that frequently?

Would greatly appreciate expert advice/personal experiences etc.

Thanks & Regards
vagg
Old Oct 1st 2004, 2:51 pm
Ay-Im from Blackburn me

royyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Returning resident

Hi there.
I'm not sure to what extent customs check the disks, i dont think they do..i have trawled the web for an answer, but nowhere can i find anything to say they plug them upto a pc.
As for the disks themselves, long as its on goods accompanying form, place it in HAND LUGGAGE...the scanners on cargo holding will possibly wipe it.
Just advise any customs guys its in there so they know it will trigger the alarm.

hope this helps, would be great to know what is checked on disks, as i have 3 to take with me....
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Returning resident

Depends what country's passport you have. If you are citizen of some asian or Mid Eastern country then dont expect US Immigration officer to let you in on daily basis without proper checks... As per my info , if u require visa to enter country then you must go through new Visitor entry and departure tracking process. Give a call to BCIS.

Originally Posted by vagg
Hi,

2. I have got a job offer from a company in Detroit which has already filed my H1. If my H1 gets approved, I plan to stay in Windsor and daily do up down to Detroit which is just half an hour drive types. My question is that will I be able to satisfy my residency requirements of Canada in that manner by daily going to Detroit and coming back in the evening? And will there be any problem in terms of questioning etc. in crossing borders that frequently?

Would greatly appreciate expert advice/personal experiences etc.

Thanks & Regards
vagg