Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

retaining permanent resident status - Andrew help!

retaining permanent resident status - Andrew help!

Old Jun 7th 2001, 10:11 pm
Gosia

Hey Andrew -

If somebody works in Seattle - but is renting / owning an apartment in British
Columbia, spends tons of time in BC, has a car registered in BC. So the person
commutes to work say 2-3 times a week from BC + spends weekend.

Does such a person retain the permanent resident status?

Can you shed some light on this? In general it is hard to work in Canada because
wages there are much lower. But on the other hand Canada is a great place to live.
And I understand that having permanent resident status does not require me to work
in Canada.

Thanks a lot!

Old Jun 7th 2001, 10:56 pm
Andrew Miller

There are thousands of Canadian PR who commute every day to work in the US, or work
few days per week in US and the rest of week they telecommute working from home in
Canada. As long as they have US H1 visa and maintain Canadian residency by residing
here for more than 183 days per year then there is nothing wrong or illegal with such
scenario. Commuting every day to Seattle may be hard, but if you leave Canada on
Monday morning and return on Friday evening then you will be absent for only 3 days
per week, as every day you are in Canada even for the portion of that day counts as
day of residency in Canada. So, you will have no problem meeting residency
requirements to maintain PR status. But you will not be able to meet the residency
requirements for Canadian citizenship that way, as you won't accumulate required
1,095 days of presence in Canada within 4 years preceding citizenship application.

On the other hand you must also start realizing that this is not only wages that
count. Cost of living in Vancouver suburbs is a lot lower than cost of similar living
in Seattle area, so the difference in wages may easily be compensated by lower cost
of living here, universal health coverage that will cost you only Can$ 34.00 per
month, lower cost of car insurance, etc.

You may contact me directly if you need to discuss certain matters in more
private way.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 8th 2001, 3:42 am
Peter

Andrew

I thought one has to spend a night in Canada to be counted as presence of a day. Is
the "day of presence" defined anywhere in the immigration regulation?

Thanks

Peter

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hey Andrew -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> If somebody works in Seattle - but is renting / owning an apartment in British[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Columbia, spends tons of time in BC, has a car registered in BC. So the person[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> commutes to work say 2-3 times a week from BC + spends weekend.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Does such a person retain the permanent resident status?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Can you shed some light on this? In general it is hard to work in Canada because[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> wages there are much lower. But on the other hand Canada is a great place to live.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> And I understand that having permanent resident status does not require me to work[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Thanks a lot![/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 8th 2001, 4:11 am
Andrew Miller

Peter,

In the example I gave person leaving Canada on Monday morning after spending night
here can count that day as presence in Canada. Same with the Friday return as the
night will be already slept over in Canada. My example was based on the commonly used
and accepted practice of counting days of presence, as there is no legal definition
in the immigration law and regulations what constitutes a day of presence in Canada.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
day.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >There are thousands of Canadian PR who commute every day to work in the US,[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> >work few days per week in US and the rest of week they telecommute working[/usenetquote2]
from
[usenetquote2]> >home in Canada. As long as they have US H1 visa and maintain Canadian[/usenetquote2]
residency
[usenetquote2]> >by residing here for more than 183 days per year then there is nothing wrong[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> >illegal with such scenario. Commuting every day to Seattle may be hard, but[/usenetquote2]
if
[usenetquote2]> >you leave Canada on Monday morning and return on Friday evening then you[/usenetquote2]
will
[usenetquote2]> >be absent for only 3 days per week, as every day you are in Canada even for[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> >portion of that day counts as day of residency in Canada. So, you will have[/usenetquote2]
no
[usenetquote2]> >problem meeting residency requirements to maintain PR status. But you will[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> >be able to meet the residency requirements for Canadian citizenship that[/usenetquote2]
way,
[usenetquote2]> >as you won't accumulate required 1,095 days of presence in Canada within 4 years[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >preceding citizenship application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >On the other hand you must also start realizing that this is not only wages that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >count. Cost of living in Vancouver suburbs is a lot lower than cost of similar[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >living in Seattle area, so the difference in wages may easily be compensated by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >lower cost of living here, universal health coverage that[/usenetquote2]
will
[usenetquote2]> >cost you only Can$ 34.00 per month, lower cost of car insurance, etc.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >You may contact me directly if you need to discuss certain matters in more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >private way.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >--[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >sending an email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> >> Hey Andrew -[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> If somebody works in Seattle - but is renting / owning an apartment in British[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Columbia, spends tons of time in BC, has a car registered in BC. So the person[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> commutes to work say 2-3 times a week from BC + spends weekend.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Does such a person retain the permanent resident status?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Can you shed some light on this? In general it is hard to work in Canada because[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> wages there are much lower. But on the other hand Canada is a great place to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> live. And I understand that having permanent resident status does not require me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> to work in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Thanks a lot![/usenetquote2]