Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Residency Sponsorship jeopardize my current H4 US visa?

Residency Sponsorship jeopardize my current H4 US visa?

Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

rich tea biscuit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency Sponsorship jeopardize my current H4 US visa?

Hi there
I'm a little overwhelmed.
I am a Brit, married to a Canadian and we currently live in the US. I am staying here on an H4 visa.
We have decided its time to move to Canada and plan to do this by September, My husband will sponsor me. We have a lot to do in the meantime - sell our house and find employment in Canada being the two main things.
Can you all recommend at what time I should start the sponsorship process? I am concerned that from the moment I get residency in Canada I'll no longer be welcome in the US and I obviously need to be here to sell the house etc.
Also at what point is your passport requested?
I'm also worried that if we start the process and my passport is removed then we may not get it back by the time I need to leave the country.
And finally - if i am mid way through sponsorship am I still able to move to Canada without it being finalized?
I feel like this is a house of cards waiting to tumble!
Any advice on this would be hugely appreciated!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Sponsorship jeopardize my current H4 US visa?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Start now, as it will probably take you around 6 months to get PR anyway. It's not a problem to have Canadian PR whilst your in the US, it won't jeopardise anything at all.

Your passport isn't requested at all, you only have to send a photocopy of it, they no longer request the actual passport, so don't worry about that.

And yes, you can move before you get PR, although ideally you'd have it before you go.

HTH, good luck and get cracking!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease - that is awesome news!

Do you by any chance know at what stage my husband will have to have proof of employment waiting for him in Canada? Thats obviously another teeny tiny concern!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No proof of employment is required for spousal sponsorship.

HTH.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

You've made my day / week! Thank you for letting me pick your brain.