Residency Card

Old Jan 12th 2002, 2:08 pm
Nishant

Grateful if someone could let me know how long can one stay overseas after getting a
residency card. Can I live abroad for 4 years and then go to Canada in the fifth year
(before expiry of the residency card)? Thanks.

Nishant

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jan 12th 2002, 2:21 pm
Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

No, you cannot. You must live in Canada for at least 2 of 5 years. (And that's after
the new regulations come into effect. For the moment, you must remain in Canada for
at least 183 days per year.

Old Jan 13th 2002, 1:19 pm
Mikuni_n_me Nisha

Thanks, Stuart. Is it within 3 years of the first landing? Thanks

>
[usenetquote2]> > Grateful if someone could let me know how long can one stay overseas after[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > getting a residency card. Can I live abroad for 4 years and then go to Canada in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the fifth year (before expiry of the residency card)? Thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Nishant[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

--

Old Jan 13th 2002, 1:20 pm
Mikuni_n_me Nisha

Thanks, Stuart. Is it within 3 years of the first landing? Thanks

--

Old Jan 13th 2002, 3:19 pm
Stuart

>

While you can spend 3 years out of Canada in 5 years, it's not clear whether the
requirements for landing remain the same. i.e. You must establish residence in Canada
to actually "land". If that's the case, then you can't simply land (complete the
papers), get a SIN card, and Health card then leave. ... you must spend enough time
in Canada to actually be considered "landed" before your departure.

As ever with new regs, it's a case of see what the policy on the ground is where
things are unclear, and that we won't know until after implementation.

Old Jan 14th 2002, 3:24 pm
Aj

Stuart <[email protected]>

>
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks, Stuart. Is it within 3 years of the first landing? Thanks[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Mr. Miller, Is this correct that you can spend up to 3 years out of 5 and what are
the requirements of landing?

Thanx

Old Jan 14th 2002, 4:37 pm
Andrew Miller

Not yet as new law is not implemented. After the implementation of new law (target
date is June 28th, 2002) permanent residents will be required to reside in Canada for
at least 730 days in any 5 years period to maintain PR status.

Requirements for landing? What exactly are you asking for?

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"AJ" <[email protected]>

[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks, Stuart. Is it within 3 years of the first landing? Thanks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > While you can spend 3 years out of Canada in 5 years, it's not clear whether the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > requirements for landing remain the same. i.e. You must establish residence in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada to actually "land". If that's the case, then you can't simply land[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (complete the papers), get a SIN card, and Health card then leave. ... you must[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > spend enough time in Canada to actually be considered "landed" before your[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > departure.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As ever with new regs, it's a case of see what the policy on the ground is where[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > things are unclear, and that we won't know until after implementation.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:25 pm
Aj

Mr. Miller,

If one receives one's LP after June 28th, after the implementation of new law, and
one lands and get one's SIN and other documents in a months time, is one allowed to
spend a year or two outside canada i.e. up to 1095 days ( 730 days out of 5 years
should be in canada). Won't the immigration inspectors will question the person
when he will reneter into canada? How this will efect RRP or should one still
require a RRP?

Thanks AJ

Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:55 pm
Andrew Miller

We still need to wait for the final version of Regulations and Immigration Manual
to clearly know the answer to your question. But under new law there will be no RRP
any longer.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >