Required Marks

Old Jan 19th 2015, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

samans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Required Marks

Hi,

I'm having 67 points in Software Engineer category.

Is my point enough to select ?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Required Marks

Originally Posted by samans
Hi,

I'm having 67 points in Software Engineer category.

Is my point enough to select ?
It seems you're looking at the old system for a Federal Skilled Worker application, which doesn't exist anymore.

There is no longer a list of eligible occupations, and the whole point system has changed, so you need to start again and look at your eligibility under the new 'Express Entry' system.

I don't know what website you're looking at to check your points, but it's out of date, so do only use the CIC website - you can read all about the Express Entry system on there.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 5:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It seems you're looking at the old system for a Federal Skilled Worker application, which doesn't exist anymore.

There is no longer a list of eligible occupations, and the whole point system has changed, so you need to start again and look at your eligibility under the new 'Express Entry' system.

I don't know what website you're looking at to check your points, but it's out of date, so do only use the CIC website - you can read all about the Express Entry system on there.

HTH, good luck.
1. Not quite right. To be eligible to a candidate in EE as a skilled worker you are still required to have 67 points. Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Footnotes

Footnote 1

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. This means you earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. The total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Not quite right. To be eligible to a candidate in EE as a skilled worker you are still required to have 67 points. Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

Footnotes

Footnote 1

These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess federal skilled workers. This means you earn points for how well you do in each of the six factors. The total points will show if you qualify for the Express Entry pool. The current pass mark is 67 points.
Yes, but the OP specifically asked if his points were 'enough to select' so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that's he's not talking about the new system, as it would then be out of a score of 1200 so definitely not enough to be selected from the pool! Plus he mentioned his occupation, which is a job on the old 'list'.

If he's talking about the new system and he's got a score of 67 out of a possible 1200 and is hoping to be selected, then I'm not sure he's going to have a lot of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 19th 2015 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, but the OP specifically asked if his points were 'enough to select' so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that's he's not talking about the new system, as it would then be out of a score of 1200 so definitely not enough to be selected from the pool! Plus he mentioned his occupation, which is a job on the old 'list'.

If he's talking about the new system and he's got a score of 67 out of a possible 1200 and is hoping to be selected, then I'm not sure he's going to have a lot of luck.
1. Under the new system, you have to be eligible to be a candidate to submit a profile under EE. To be eligible you have get 67 points out of 100.
2. If you meet that threshold, then you can summit a profile in EE, which has a point range of 1200.
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Under the new system, you have to be eligible to be a candidate to submit a profile under EE. To be eligible you have get 67 points out of 100.
2. If you meet that threshold, then you can summit a profile in EE, which has a point range of 1200.
I know, but I didn't think the OP did, hence pointing out the new system. Perhaps I should have made more of an allowance for English not being his first language, and not taken 'select' or 'software engineer category' so literally.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 19th 2015 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of points... I'm seeing conflicting information around EE-FSW.

So turns out I overlooked one part of the FSW eligibility criteria, and didn't know about the 67/100pt requirement. Although since finding out about it, I've made the following observation:

So (and this is before I knew about the 67pts requirement) I filled out the Wizard, and despite having 1 year's experience in a skilled position, the wizard told me I was ineligible for EE-FSW.

So I played around with the answers a bit, and changed my skilled experience to 2-3 years (instead of 1 year) to see if that made a difference. It did.

So then I read about the 67pt requirement, and figured that maybe I was right on the brink of 67pts, and having 2-3 years experience was enough to tip me past 67pts, but having 1 year wasn't enough.

If you go to the page with the 100pt grid criteria (Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers) you can see where the various points are allocated in order for you to be eligible for FSW.

So I allocated points based on the criteria, and wound up with 76pts. 9pts over the 67pt requirement. So confusion set in... I continued to investigate.

Then I noticed something:

On the 100pt allocation page, it says:

"Your past work in Canada: You did at least one year of full-time work in Canada in a occupation listed in Skill Type O or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and with a valid work permit or while authorized to work in Canada."

Fair enough. I've got that. Add 10pts.

The I remembered that in the wizard it says:

"In the last three years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have in Canada? It must have been full-time (or an equal amount in part time)."

The key part here is 'in the last three years'.

That's part of the EE-CEC criteria. But not needed as part of the EE-FSW eligibility. I assumed, then, that there was 1 wizard which was used for all EE streams, and that it would tell you which route was most appropriate to you based on the information you give.

The obvious problem here is that the wizard doesn't differentiate between the Canadian experience being in the last 3 years or not. Therefore (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) I missed out on 10pts that I should be entitled to, which was the difference between be being eligible, and not.

So, I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention, see if anyone else had noticed it. Do you think the wizard is wrong? Or do you think the 100pt criteria is wrong?