Representation

Old Oct 15th 2001, 7:54 pm
Vijay Balasubramania

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which route is better for Canadian PR.

1) self i.e. do the paperwork myself
2) use a representative such a lawyers etc.
2.1) what are the risks of using lawyers outside Canada

Please share your experiences and opinions.

Thanks, Vijay

Old Oct 15th 2001, 9:04 pm
Andrew Miller

If you are sure that you know Canadian immigration law, all rules and regulations,
latest manuals and operational memoranda good enough to prepare and present your
entire application package in the strongest possible way without making any mistakes
then go ahead and do it on your own. But if you feel that you may be one of those
over 80% applicants who are rejected every year when applying without professional
assistance then hire an expert.

Different people have different reasons for using professional help - most wants to
make sure that their case will be well prepared, that there will be no mistakes,
errors or missing information, and the entire package will be presented in the way
not leaving too much room for unfavorable interpretation by processing officers. Some
are just interested in peace of mind and prefer to use professional the same way they
do when are taking car to the mechanic, go to the dentist with aching tooth, see the
doctor when sick or call the plumber when water pipe leaks in the house.

Immigration and moving permanently to another country is one in a lifetime decision
for most families - why leave such important task to luck if you can assure that your
application will be successful.

Well experienced and knowledgeable immigration professional will assure that your
case and your qualifications receive the best possible assessment. Only your Canadian
representative can gain access to your files when needed - you cannot do it. Canadian
Access to Information Act and Privacy Act prohibit release of any information
pertaining to immigration application to anyone who is not a Canadian citizen or
resident and is not based in Canada. So, this answers your question about using
experts based outside Canada - all they can do is fill the forms, that is all. They
cannot represent you in Canada and they cannot access your files.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 16th 2001, 2:14 am
Paul

Vijay Balasubramanian wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Could go this way if you know what are all the stuff needed and have done lots of
"research work"...

>
    >

Easy way out ... You pay someone to do the work in a professional way .. That is what
I did cause I didn't have time to do it myself ...

>
    >
    >

Never do that ... They can't be helpful ....

>
    >

>
    >

- Paul

Old Oct 16th 2001, 4:19 am
Alex Oren

Andrew Miller wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

IMHO, if your case is straightforward you're better off doing it yourself.

Familiarize yourself with the CIC web site, submit documents to prove everything
(translated if needed) and stick to "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the
truth" principle.

On the other hand, if there are "issues" that can jeopardize your application and
need to be presented in the best possible light, or your point total is borderline,
hire a professional.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Careful here, Andrew. There are no guarantees and there are enough posts in this
group to show that professional representation does not guard against rejection.

With all due respect to Andrew and other immigration professionals who frequent this
group, you cannot expect them to be objective about the issue.

That said, if I were to hire a professional, I'd keep in mind that Andrew, Ber,
Berto, David, James, Jim and Randy have demonstrated both knowledge and
willingness to help.

Best regards, Alex.

--
My email address is intentionally mangled to foil spambots. For replying, remove the
"-decoy" from the address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old Oct 16th 2001, 6:13 am
Andrew Miller

Alex,

I totally agree with you that nobody can guarantee application approval, but some of
us provide full money back guarantee in the case of visa refusal. Unlike others who's
poor services were many times described in this forum we don't take every case, we
only accept those where we can be sure of success based on information provided by
client. I'm not sure about others in this group but I know that except myself here
David is also providing full money back guarantee - I'm sure that he is also not
taking every available case, only those in which he is sure that he can succeed.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
[...]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Immigration and moving permanently to another country is one in a lifetime[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > decision for most families - why leave such important task to luck if you[/usenetquote2]
can
[usenetquote2]> > assure that your application will be successful.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 17th 2001, 1:58 am
Berto Volpentesta

People decide to use professional help for many reasons such as lack of = time, lack
of particular skills required to do this type of work, need = of understanding
helping hand, peace of mind, etc...

When choosing counsel keep in mind that you should select a professional = with a
strong background, solid training and is dedicated to immigration = work. =20

Don't go to travel agents cum consultants or to former grocery store = owners. There
are many converts to the practice who have very little = experience or training and
you may be the practice case they are looking = for.

You should examine the backgrounds

What is their training How long have they been practicing Do they do only immigraiton
Do they belong to a professional organization

If you use a counsel that is based outside of Canada you should know = that they may
be seriously limited in what they can do for you. Such = people may not have access
to your files, or to other files necessary to = perform their duties properly.

Check out your counsel

Try www.opic.org or perhaps the bar society if they are lawyers to get = more
information.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

"Vijay Balasubramanian" <[email protected]> wrote in =

>
    >
    >