Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renting an Apartment in Toronto - Question

Renting an Apartment in Toronto - Question

Old Sep 30th 2001, 6:16 pm
John Suthberry

I will be landing in Toronto (from the USA) soon with my wife and 1
y/o daughter. We'll be looking for a 2 bedroomed apartment in the
Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton area. I plan on being self-employed (i.e. start my own
business), and my wife will probably become a partner.

The first issue therefore is that I will obviously not be able to produce a letter of
employment. I am however prepared to PAY FOR THE FULL TERM of the lease before even
moving in. Can anyone give me the contact details of property managers/agents who
will be willing to rent an apartment to me WITHOUT a letter of employment, even if it
means that I will have to "pre-pay" the entire lease before moving in?

The second issue is that I will only be able to open a bank account in Canada after
we arrive, which means that it may take a few weeks for my money to be transferred
and readily available as Canadian Dollars. It would therefore be fantastic if the
above property manager/agent can also process payment via my USA issued Visa card. Of
course, I may be able to transfer my funds very quickly from the USA to Canada but
because I don't know the banking system I would like the reassurance that I'll be
able to pay with my Visa card just in case the transfer takes a while.

Thank you for your assistance.

Old Sep 30th 2001, 8:16 pm
Unknown

Every landlord will be happy to rent you an apartment if you pay the full year in
advance...Yeap that's the minimum leasing time you will get... If you want to look
for a temporary accomodation you will be paying almost double...

A 2 bedroom apartment in GTA is around CDN$1100 and CDN$1800 a month ... A
basement apartment can be found for CDN$900... If you are looking for a lease of 3
months or 6 months you will be paying from CDN$1400 to CDN$2200 a month.... Almost
every apartment building asks for letter of employment so you have better chances
looking for a Condominium or Basement Apartment since you will be dealing directly
with the owner...

About paying the rent using a Credit Card..Forget about it !!!... Come here, get your
SIN, then open your bank account and make the transfer... Transfer from US Banks take
3 days, from other countries take 5 days... I guess you'll have to stay in a hotel
and start looking for a hotel the first week...

Bye..

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 30th 2001, 11:55 pm
Kurakot

this may be a good starting point

www.canoe.ca

newspapers property managers

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 30th 2001, 11:56 pm
Kurakot

Proof of self-employment may provide added advantage.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
a
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
here,
    >
Transfer
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I will be landing in Toronto (from the USA) soon with my wife and 1[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > y/o daughter. We'll be looking for a 2 bedroomed apartment in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton area. I plan on being self-employed (i.e. start my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > own business), and my wife will probably become a partner.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The first issue therefore is that I will obviously not be able to produce a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > letter of employment. I am however prepared to PAY FOR THE FULL TERM of the lease[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > before even moving in. Can anyone give me the contact details of property[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > managers/agents who will be willing to rent an apartment to me WITHOUT a letter[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > of employment, even if it means that I will have to "pre-pay" the entire lease[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > before moving in?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The second issue is that I will only be able to open a bank account in Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after we arrive, which means that it may take a few weeks for my money to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > transferred and readily available as Canadian Dollars. It would therefore be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > fantastic if the above property manager/agent can also process payment via my USA[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > issued Visa card. Of course, I may be able to transfer my funds very quickly from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the USA to Canada but because I don't know the banking system I would like the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > reassurance that I'll be able to pay with my Visa card just in case the transfer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > takes a while.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thank you for your assistance.[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 1st 2001, 2:16 pm
Luterin

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
www.rentcanada.com has links to many property management companies.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
I'm sure the property management would be glad to accomodate you... especially if you
are paying for the entire term.

-Lute.