Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing British passport and Canadian docs

Renewing British passport and Canadian docs

Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Nickd65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British passport and Canadian docs

Hi all, first post here.

I'm in Canada on a TWP, with a PR application in the works. I've just been informed the application for PR has been approved (medicals have gone through), so now it's just a case of sending through a copy of my passport plus a couple of photos.

My passport (British) is getting pretty full (2 emptyish pages left, which can be a problem with some countries), so I'm planning on renewing it while in the UK in January.

2 questions:
- My TWP refers to my current (old) passport. If I turn up at Pearson with a new passport and the TWP referring to the previous one, what's the deal? Do I just need to bring the old passport along?
- Is the PR card similarly tied to a particular passport, and if so, is sending through a copy of my existing (soon to be old) passport for the final step to PR a problem?

Actually, final question. Does it make more sense to try to hang on until I have a PR card before renewing the passport?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British passport and Canadian docs

PR cards are not specifically attached to any passport so any valid passport is ok.
A new passport has no bearing on a valid TWP.
Obviously when applying for certain CIC status you need to provide a valid passport at the time of application however if you renew that passport after then the new passport takes the place of the old one.
Your choice to hold on before renewing.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Wow, nice and easy. Thanks for the answers, you make it sound very simple
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickd65
Hi all, first post here.

I'm in Canada on a TWP, with a PR application in the works. I've just been informed the application for PR has been approved (medicals have gone through), so now it's just a case of sending through a copy of my passport plus a couple of photos.

My passport (British) is getting pretty full (2 emptyish pages left, which can be a problem with some countries), so I'm planning on renewing it while in the UK in January.

2 questions:
- My TWP refers to my current (old) passport. If I turn up at Pearson with a new passport and the TWP referring to the previous one, what's the deal? Do I just need to bring the old passport along?
- Is the PR card similarly tied to a particular passport, and if so, is sending through a copy of my existing (soon to be old) passport for the final step to PR a problem?

Actually, final question. Does it make more sense to try to hang on until I have a PR card before renewing the passport?

Thanks!
If you replace your passport prior to receiving your COPR, make sure that you send a copy to CIC for your PR application.

Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

If you replace your passport prior to receiving your COPR, make sure that you send a copy to CIC for your PR application.
Interesting point. I've just received the email confirming PR issuance, but not yet the COPR paperwork. Depending on how things work out wrt timing, that may get signed on my return from the UK in January - which would be with the new passport.

The challenge is that the new passport wouldn't be available to send a copy over to CIC until that re-entry into Canada.