Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renew PR while waiting for Citizenship???

Renew PR while waiting for Citizenship???

Old Sep 9th 2019, 9:35 am
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renew PR while waiting for Citizenship???

Hi Folks,
I've recently had my test date notification for citizenship sent but I've had to reply to them to reschedule as I'm abroad (back in UK) and couldn't make such an earlier date. I'm also going to be in UK for a few months more.
Now my question is have I shot myself in the foot my lettering them know I was in UK? my PR expires in Feb 2020.
Should I plan for worst case and just renew my PR instead?
Only thing i've heard back from CIC that my reschedule request has been sent to the appropriate team

Thanks!
-BCN
Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew PR while waiting for Citizenship???

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Hi Folks,
I've recently had my test date notification for citizenship sent but I've had to reply to them to reschedule as I'm abroad (back in UK) and couldn't make such an earlier date. I'm also going to be in UK for a few months more.
Now my question is have I shot myself in the foot my lettering them know I was in UK? my PR expires in Feb 2020.
Should I plan for worst case and just renew my PR instead?
Only thing i've heard back from CIC that my reschedule request has been sent to the appropriate team

Thanks!
-BCN
Hi

I wouldn't panic, I'm sure they are used to people having to go abroad at short notice and not able to return in time - as long as you were honest about it there shouldn't be a problem - I would wait and see what the response is. What if I cannot attend my appointment with IRCC? Can I reschedule it?

Just for info though, your PR status doesn't expire - your PR card does.. presuming you can meet the residency requirement of 2 out of the last 5 years if you were not returning until after your PR card expires then you would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada and and then renew your PR card (if you decided not to continue with your Citizenship application) when you are in Canada - you can't do it from overseas.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 5:55 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ! Thankyou so much for a great response.
Hmm is it possible for my spouse to apply for a PR card renewal for Me in canada ?
And is there perhaps document to say that you are in citizenship processing if you do need to get back ?
Problem is nuts to go bank just for the pesky Citizenship test and then fly back again :’(
Old Sep 9th 2019, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

PR card renewal takes forever apparently. Months and months.

PR Travel Document can be had from London in a few days if you're near there. That was valid for a year for me. You've got until Feb 2020 anyway. Worst case drive over from the States with your expired card.

Getting citizenship ends all this hassle forever - I'd try to get back there for the test probably, but a bit of an inconvenience I'm sure.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
PR card renewal takes forever apparently. Months and months..
Currently 20 days.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh wow. I take that back. It used to be 3 months before they'd even start to process application!
Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
Oh wow. I take that back. It used to be 3 months before they'd even start to process application!
It's certainly the shortest I've seen. Between 40 and 70 days (I think) for my two renewals.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 11:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Hey ! Thankyou so much for a great response.
Hmm is it possible for my spouse to apply for a PR card renewal for Me in canada ?
And is there perhaps document to say that you are in citizenship processing if you do need to get back ?
Problem is nuts to go bank just for the pesky Citizenship test and then fly back again :’(
Most welcome!

I believe you would need to be in Canada to renew it - and no, you would just apply for a PRTD the same as anyone else who's PR card expired / was lost - lots of proof required, by the way.. or else fly into the US and travel across the border by private vehicle - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-to-apply.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

How long have you been out of Canada? Don't forget you need to maintain the residency requirements right up until Citizenship is granted.

Did you let them know that you would be away from Canada when you submitted your application.. ? Umm it's not nuts if you wish to become a Citizen then you must return to take the test, swear the oath etc., - I suppose it depends how much you want it!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html
Leaving Canada after you submit your application

You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you:

keep your permanent resident (PR) status
can receive any letter mail, parcels and emails we send you after you submit your application
can reply to our letters and emails within the specified time, usually within 30 days
are available in person in Canada to attend your citizenship test (if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age), interview, and ceremony

Let us know if you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row.

and

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
be a permanent resident (when you apply)
not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily

Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 9th 2019 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 2:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Did you let them know that you would be away from Canada when you submitted your application.. ? Umm it's not nuts if you wish to become a Citizen then you must return to take the test, swear the oath etc., - I suppose it depends how much you want it!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ext-steps.html
Leaving Canada after you submit your application

You can leave Canada after we receive your application as long as you:

keep your permanent resident (PR) status
can receive any letter mail, parcels and emails we send you after you submit your application
can reply to our letters and emails within the specified time, usually within 30 days
are available in person in Canada to attend your citizenship test (if you’re between 18 and 54 years of age), interview, and ceremony

Let us know if you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row.

and

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
be a permanent resident (when you apply)
not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily

Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.
Hmmm.. Yes I've let them know question is was that a good or bad idea? I've not heard back from them since asking for a resched ...
Old Oct 5th 2019, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if they changed the way the process applications, or hired more people, seems to be hovering pretty short these days, last year around this time it was 60-61 days when I applied for my renewal, currently showing 22 days.

Old Oct 5th 2019, 7:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder if they changed the way the process applications, or hired more people, seems to be hovering pretty short these days, last year around this time it was 60-61 days when I applied for my renewal, currently showing 22 days.
Could be. Or it could just be something like fewer people renewing 2009/2014/2019 than in other 5 year cycles like, say, 2007/2012/2017.

Or perhaps more than is usual converted from PR to citizen after recent changes, so card renewal wasn't needed.

I expect that somewhere there is a graph showing clearance times month by month, year by year. If we get a crack team together we can maybe break in and find it.

Old Oct 5th 2019, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be. Last year when I renewed was the quickest of the 2 renewals, my first renewal took like 5 or 6 months almost, so long I ended up having to send my passport to Los Angeles for that travel thing (forget the name) to be added so I could return to Canada by air without a card since my card had expired before I got my new one.

I guess when I renew in 4 years, we can see if the trend continues, that will be renewal # 3.

Could be. Or it could just be something like fewer people renewing 2009/2014/2019 than in other 5 year cycles like, say, 2007/2012/2017.

Or perhaps more than is usual converted from PR to citizen after recent changes, so card renewal wasn't needed.

I expect that somewhere there is a graph showing clearance times month by month, year by year. If we get a crack team together we can maybe break in and find it.

Old Oct 5th 2019, 8:24 pm
Oscar nominated

I guess when I renew in 4 years, we can see if the trend continues, that will be renewal # 3.
I'm on my second renewal (3rd card) and it will be my last.

Did you recognise the crack team in the photo?

Old Oct 5th 2019, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

I'm on my second renewal (3rd card) and it will be my last.

Did you recognise the crack team in the photo?
No I don't recognize the photo at all, just thought it was some old men...lol

So you planning on becoming a citizen?
Old Oct 6th 2019, 12:27 am
Oscar nominated

No I don't recognize the photo at all, just thought it was some old men...lol

So you planning on becoming a citizen?
Watergate burglars. Crack team

see pm