Relative sponsorship

Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

aws0002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relative sponsorship

I'm thinking of moving to Canada and have been researching my options to do so. My Cousin is a PR living in Ontario. Am I correct in saying that he would not be able to sponsor me as his wife is Canadian?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relative sponsorship

Originally Posted by aws0002
I'm thinking of moving to Canada and have been researching my options to do so. My Cousin is a PR living in Ontario. Am I correct in saying that he would not be able to sponsor me as his wife is Canadian?
You are correct.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
You are correct.
Thanks for your response. Seems like an odd rule to me.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Can my cousin sponsor me to live in the UK ?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? Can my cousin sponsor me to live in the UK ?
I'm not an expert in UK immigration legislation so I wouldn't be able to tell you if your cousin can sponsor you for leave to remain in the UK. However, if I'm reading the documentation correctly, it would seem that my cousin would be able to sponsor me if he wasn't married to a Canadian citizen.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 8:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Don't see why. Rules seem odd to folks when they don't work for them, otherwise they are great rules!
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert in UK immigration legislation so I wouldn't be able to tell you if your cousin can sponsor you for leave to remain in the UK. However, if I'm reading the documentation correctly, it would seem that my cousin would be able to sponsor me if he wasn't married to a Canadian citizen.
your cousin’s spouse’s nationality is totally irrelevant to the matter. Your interpretation is wrong.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

your cousin’s spouse’s nationality is totally irrelevant to the matter. Your interpretation is wrong.

Option 2: other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the conditions, including:
  • you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • brother or sister
    • uncle or aunt
    • nephew or niece
  • you don’t have any of the above-named relatives who is:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

I don't know how else to interpret that.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Option 2: other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the conditions, including:
  • you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • brother or sister
    • uncle or aunt
    • nephew or niece
  • you don’t have any of the above-named relatives who is:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

I don't know how else to interpret that.
It's not just the one item. It's all of them. Your cousin cannot sponsor you because he has a spouse. And I'm sure there a other family members ahead of a cousin in the list. Does he have parents? If so , he still couldn't sponsor you even if he was single.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's not just the one item. It's all of them. Your cousin cannot sponsor you because he has a spouse. And I'm sure there a other family members ahead of a cousin in the list. Does he have parents? If so , he still couldn't sponsor you even if he was single.
There is no one ahead of me on that list. It also says
you don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead
he couldn't sponsor his spouse as his spouse is a Canadian born citizen. In fact, his spouse sponsored him.

All irrelevant anyway. But as he is unable to sponsor someone due to his spouse being Canadian is the reason I find it to be an odd rule.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:43 pm

There is no one ahead of me on that list. It also says he couldn't sponsor his spouse as his spouse is a Canadian born citizen. In fact, his spouse sponsored him.

All irrelevant anyway. But as he is unable to sponsor someone due to his spouse being Canadian is the reason I find it to be an odd rule.
It is nothing to do with his spouse being Canadian born. It is that he has a spouse.
Pretty much, to sponsor a cousin, he would have to have no other living relatives.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!
As others have already explained, no your cousin cannot sponsor you as he is married - has a spouse living in Canada. Nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with having a living relative already here.

Rather than bewail how unfair you think the immigration regulation is, why not look and see if there are any other avenues that you could explore to assist you in your wish to move to Canada? What is it you do for a living? Are you by any chance under 31 (if English) or under 35 (if Irish)?

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is nothing to do with his spouse being Canadian born. It is that he has a spouse.
Pretty much, to sponsor a cousin, he would have to have no other living relatives.
Correct.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:41 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's quite funny when a rule is "odd" or "stupid" when it doesn't fit the criteria someone wants it to. I would suggest aws0001 that you apply and see what happens.....
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE!
Rather than bewail how unfair you think the immigration regulation is, why not look and see if there are any other avenues that you could explore to assist you in your wish to move to Canada? What is it you do for a living? Are you by any chance under 31 (if English) or under 35 (if Irish)?

I didn't say it was unfair I said it was odd. I am under 31 but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I'm Scottish, not English or Irish.

In any case, family sponsorship wasn't the first thing I looked at because I didn't think it was possible, I just wanted some clarification. My initial thought was to move to Canada under the startup visa program.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 11:54 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Scottish, not English or Irish.
As a British Citizen under 31 you can apply to the IEC programme - Scottish, English or Welsh it doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.