Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

to be a refugee... is it risky? what is involved with it?

to be a refugee... is it risky? what is involved with it?

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Darren1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to be a refugee... is it risky? what is involved with it?

Hi,
I am a gay guy from Turkey. I have several questions on "refugee" status.
I am planning to apply to stay in Canada as a refugee because of my sexual orientation, which is socially not accepted in my home country.

1. If I apply to Canadian government what is my chances of staying in canada as a refugee?

2. Can you tell me what is involved with being a refugee? I mean how is the procedure? How to apply? Where to apply?

3. What happens if I am rejected would I lose my Turkish passport also?
What risks involved?

4. Do the Canadian governement inform Turkish government about it?

5. If I get the PR, can I still visit my family in Turkey?

7. Is the reason for applying as a refugee kept secret or would employers know about that? (I know they wouldnt care about that in canada, in turkey its almost impossible to find a job)

8. If the situation for gays in Turkey changes, can I always return back?

9. If I apply to be a refugee, how do they want me to proove my condition? I know a gay couple in Europe who "got married" in Canada, would it help me if I get a letter from them?

10. Should I apply for it in Canada (while there with visitor visa, lawfully) or while I am in my own country? Which is better?

11. Where can I get more information about refugee thing.

I am sorry, I have listed too many questions, I would appreciated it if you take your time and answer theese questions..

Thank you.

Last edited by Darren1978; Aug 23rd 2004 at 9:34 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to be a refugee... is it risky? what is involved with it?

Hi Darren

Originally Posted by Darren1978
Hi,
I am planning to apply to stay in Canada as a refugee because of my sexual orientation, which is socially not accepted in my home country.

1. If I apply to Canadian government what is my chances of staying in canada as a refugee?

You have to demonstrate that you have a well founded fear of persecution and that you have been persecuted in your homeland.

2. Can you tell me what is involved with being a refugee? I mean how is the procedure? How to apply? Where to apply?

If you are outside your home country, you can apply to CHC or through the UN high commission for refugees. You also can apply at a Canadian Port of Entry, but you require a TRV to board a plane to Canada. IF you apply for a TRV with the intention of claiming Refugee status, it will be very tough to get one.

What risks involved?

If you are refused, you would be returned to Turkey.

Yes, if you are refused and removed to Turkey.

You can, but it is called refoulment and CIC may attempt to remove your Refugee status.

7. Is the reason for applying as a refugee kept secret or would employers know about that? (I know they wouldnt care about that in canada, in turkey its almost impossible to find a job)

Refugee claims are in the public domain, once they reach the federal court if you are refused at the IRB. You should take a look at :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/index.html

Your decision.

9. If I apply to be a refugee, how do they want me to proove my condition? I know a gay couple in Europe who "got married" in Canada, would it help me if I get a letter from them?

No.

10. Should I apply for it in Canada (while there with visitor visa, lawfully) or while I am in my own country? Which is better?

You can't apply in your own country, according to the law you have to be outside.

I am sorry, I have listed too many questions, I would appreciated it if you take your time and answer theese questions..

Thank you.
PMM
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

esteloval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Darren1978
From my little experience, being gay alone does not guarantee that your refugee application will be accepted. One thing I have observe about many refugee applicants in Canada is that, many of their applications are denied because many of them normally falls in the same trap; "Proving that your case is unique". Of course apart from western europe and North America, gay people are generally not accepted in many countries around the world, does that means that Canada should bring every gay person around the world into the country??. You should be able to prove to the refugee board that while gay people in Turkey are generally not accepted, your case is unique, it may be that you've been attacked ten times on the streets of Instanbul due to your sexual orientation, it may also be that you have been twice jailed by the turkish government for wearing women cloth or due to your sexual orientation, you personally have been denied the basic essentials, education health care, etc etc. And all these are very difficult to prove (especially with documents), hence many refugee applicantions are denied.
If I were you, I will seek experts as to whether you can qualify as a skilled immigrant. There are experts on this forum (Jim and Andrew for instance) who can assess your elegibility. I believe that your chances of qualify as a skilled immigrant may be higher than claiming refugee. Remember that these days due to the high incidence of terrorism, many countries are skeptical about the genuity of refugee applicants.

That is my little input
Originally Posted by Darren1978
Hi,

What risks involved?

Thank you.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

ghitchi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not a refugee. A Genuine refugee would not have the luxury of asking about it on a bulletin board. Being Gay and being hated for that doesn't make you a refugee. If it did then millions of people from hundreds of countries for thousands of years might have applied...not to mention the millions of straight people who would pretend to be gay in order the by-pass the point system.

It's no different from being the fat kid who never got picked for gym class - so you are picked on, that's life. Suck it up kid. The world ain't fair, and your idea that Canada is some sort of gay friendly utopia is a bit misplaced; yes the laws are liberal on the issue but there's still plenty of places around here where being openly gay would get you beaten to a pulp.

perhaps instead of plotting your escape you should work to educate your fellow Turks on the issue and maybe one day it will be more tolerant of homosexuality.

Gareth
Ottawa.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Darren1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I wont go for it as I don't want to go through this kind of process.

I considered it because a friend of mine who immigrated to Canada as a skilled worker know Turks who have been accepted as a refugee,
one of them was accepted for "being gay" but I don't know the details of his case.. Another one was accepted for "not wanting to do his compulsory military service"... She made it sound so easy to me... Anyway...

I think I qualify as a skilled worker, I will take that one...

Thank you all for your answers.