References

Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default References

Does anyone know what checks CHC make when processing your application ?

I am a little nervous about getting a reference in advance from my current employer, but would they actually contact them to verify the information I put on my application ?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: References

The less supporting documentation you provide, the more likely they are to contact the employer directly.

I just asked for a standard reference letter of the kind the company give out for mortgages, rental references, etc, saying I worked there, how long I'd been there, what my salary was, etc. Then backed that up with whatever company letters and official documents (P60s, etc) I could find.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:33 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you nervous about it? Did you lie to them? If not then don't worry. They're not asking for a character reference to offer you a job or anything, just to confirm that you did work there in the capacity you stated.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:38 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Why are you nervous about it? Did you lie to them? If not then don't worry. They're not asking for a character reference to offer you a job or anything, just to confirm that you did work there in the capacity you stated.
Maybe he hasn't told his employers that he is leaving and doesn't want them to know until it is definite.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:17 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
Maybe he hasn't told his employers that he is leaving and doesn't want them to know until it is definite.
Ah fair enough.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Southcote
Does anyone know what checks CHC make when processing your application ?

I am a little nervous about getting a reference in advance from my current employer, but would they actually contact them to verify the information I put on my application ?
Hi,

During the course of our application I have changed job twice, and in the ten years relevant experience period, can refer to at least 4 employers. In each case we have used the CHC standard reference letter template and the NOC criteria to make sure that we have hit all the tasks/roles they are looking for.

As far as telling current employers goes we were recently asked to update our application. Originally we had provided a letter explaining why a reference from my wife's employer might put her employment at risk (building trade, contract based, etc.) On the update, she was upfront with her boss who was very supportive and wished her all the best of luck. Sometimes it pays to be honest.

If you are just starting out on the application process, it would be fair to say that it is likely to be some time before you are offered a visa (sorry but that seems to be the hard part to live with). Most employers would value the 'heads up' and your honesty. Having said that, I guess you would have to make a judgement, based on your relationship with your employer.

I hope this helps.

Simon
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gloveman
Spot on - and I have no intention of telling them until I hand my notice in to leave !