Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Really need help, worried about my cousin!

Really need help, worried about my cousin!

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:58 pm
Cobra

Default Really need help, worried about my cousin!

My cousin from Poland(Europe) that I care for dearly wants to marry a man in Canada.
He will sponsor her and she will get her papers to stay in Canada as his wife. She
is leaving everything behind to be with him. Now I want to know if he is a jerk and
leaves/divorces her will she be deported(she has her heart set on going and staying
in Canada)??? Or does she get to stay even if something happens after a year or so??
Thanks to anyone who has replied.

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:29 pm
Pmm

Default Re: Really need help, worried about my cousin!

Hi Cobra

"Cobra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My cousin from Poland(Europe) that I care for dearly wants to marry a man
in
    > Canada. He will sponsor her and she will get her papers to stay in Canada as his
    > wife. She is leaving everything behind to be with him. Now I want to know if he
    > is a jerk and leaves/divorces her will she be deported(she
has
    > her heart set on going and staying in Canada)??? Or does she get to stay even if
    > something happens after a year or so?? Thanks to anyone who has replied.

If she is issued a PR visa on the basis of the marriage and there is no fraud
involved, then if the marriage breaks down, she can remain in Canada.

PMM

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:49 pm
The Wizzard

If she lands and becomes a PR and then he leaves her, then she will not be deported.
There is no obligation to maintain the realtionship. However the guy should be aware
he will still have to fulfill his sponsorship agreement, there is no getting out of
that. Also she should make sure that she has good documentation for the genuiness of
the realtionship. If she decides she doesnt like him and leaves him he may be bitter
and accuse her of using him for immigration purposes which is illegal and she would
be deoprted. So she should be able to prove it was a genuine relationship etc. has
she never met this man? she will have an almost impossible task of being sponsored if
they have never met, and will be held in great uspiscion if they never met before she
went there and married him. if she has any sense she would form a proper relationship
before gmarrying him, if she is letting her desire to go to Canada affect her
judgment of the relationship then she may actually end up just using it as a pretense
for immigration. hopefuly though she will go and meet him and get married and all
will be well etc.

Drew

"Cobra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My cousin from Poland(Europe) that I care for dearly wants to marry a man
in
    > Canada. He will sponsor her and she will get her papers to stay in Canada as his
    > wife. She is leaving everything behind to be with him. Now I want to know if he
    > is a jerk and leaves/divorces her will she be deported(she
has
    > her heart set on going and staying in Canada)??? Or does she get to stay even if
    > something happens after a year or so?? Thanks to anyone who has replied.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:37 am
Jason Tomlins

Shes not leaving anything behind that she couldnt return to surely ? If the man she
'loves' leaves her Poland will still be there, no? though it sounds like she's (the
writer?) more concerned with having to leave canada than actaully having a failed
relationship. I'm either being to synical or just reading between the lines, IMHO.
Marriage...cough...convinience...cough...

But, in answer to your question, no. Once landed and PR established 'she' will not
have to leave Canada.

No need to thank me for this reply. Jason.

"Cobra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My cousin from Poland(Europe) that I care for dearly wants to marry a man in
    > is a jerk and leaves/divorces her will she be deported(she has her heart set on
    > going and staying in Canada)??? Or does she get to stay even if something happens
    > after a year or so?? Thanks to anyone who has replied.