Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ready to start the process. Very excited. :)

Ready to start the process. Very excited. :)

Old Nov 29th 2015, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

unique at last is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ready to start the process. Very excited. :)

Don't be sorry, that's good to know as I was assuming that by already having a job, that would help greatly. I was hoping that he would qualify due to him having ADR and working with fuel as there was a whole lot of extra training for that.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique at last
Don't be sorry, that's good to know as I was assuming that by already having a job, that would help greatly. I was hoping that he would qualify due to him having ADR and working with fuel as there was a whole lot of extra training for that.
It absolutely would help greatly (an extra 600 points - meaning instant selection from the pool and an invitation to apply for PR pretty much straight after applying), but only if the job offer is supported by a LMIA unfortunately.

There are a few people on the forum who have moved over on company transfer TWP's and who have been a bit peeved to realise that even though they're working in Canada, they can't claim those extra 600 points unless the employer gets an LMIA for them! So a company transfer TWP doesn't help with points unfortunately, even if he was eligible for one.

If he's got skills that would be in demand in Canada over and above a 'normal' long haul trucker though, then he could try job hunting as well alongside the EE application? He might just find an employer prepared to sponsor him.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

I can imagine.

Thanks again for all your help this evening. I'm just looking to find where is the best place to get my ECA done.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine.

Thanks again for all your help this evening. I'm just looking to find where is the best place to get my ECA done.
You're welcome. Any of the authorised agencies are fine for the ECA, just go with whoever has got the least wait time at the moment as timescales can vary considerably.

Best of luck with it.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If you do decide to use a professional, use a consultant or a lawyer who is regulated by ICCRC (the regulator) and thus licensed to give advice: Search Agents work for consultants/lawyers to bring in business. Agents are not permitted to give Canadian immigration advice. S
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Catjemmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am new to this whole process also, I'm very excited to hear how you and your family get on - my fiancé is a HGV driver also! I've learnt a lot from your post as I didn't opreally know about the IELTS exams - I've been looking into an agency but now I'm changing my mind about giving them our money. If I get any further I'll let you know any information I can!!

Good luck!
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. We're excited although I confess, I am a bit worried about the number of points for express entry as, so far, it seems we are just below that magic 450 and I'm not sure how we can get more.

The agent we made first contact with said I should get about 480 points but he appears to have a bad reputation here and I don't want to waste a lot of money on someone who was spinning us a yarn. We've booked out IELTS exams for January (the next available date in our vicinity). Good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Catjemmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have to admit that agencies I spoke to made it sounds so easy - one said we could be out there in 8 months...I really had my hopes up but I've brought myself back down to earth and realised if it was that easy - we would live there already or would never have left in the first place! I've been trying to organise my IELTS exam too but they are all Saturday mornings and I work every Saturday so I don't know how I'll get round it??
Wish you all the luck in the world with yours!! Please keep me posted - I'd love to hear how you get on with everything - might give me some hope!! Are you both sitting your IELTS exam?

X
Old Dec 5th 2015, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, keep in mind agents are not permitted to give immigration advice. Only authorised representatives are. There is a big difference. If you are not sure whether you are dealing with an agent or a representative, ask for credentials (or check the name of the person yourself online with the regulator, ICCRC). An agent can bring in work for someone who is authorised, but cannot advise the client themselves.

S
Old Dec 7th 2015, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to ask have either of you ever visited Canada?
Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pammy, I haven't but my husband has a few times. I'm happy to go without a visit depending on timelines - I'm a teacher so I'm limited as to when we could go and if we could get out by the end of the summer, we wouldn't have time for an exploratory trip too.

We've got our English tests booked for the next available test local to us. H has made contact with a couple of trucking companies over the last few days - one in Winnipeg and one in St Stephen in New Brunswick (two of the provinces we'd been looking at before we were told that EE would be an option for us). Both sounded very positive and are looking to hire foreign drivers. The one in NB said that they would be looking to get 2 LMIAs and so have invited him to send over his cv asap.

He was speaking to the chap about me as his spouse and the chap said that I may not be able to work for a year. I'm sure I've read in a few places that it wouldn't be as long as that. I'll have a look on CIC as soon as I can get on it but just wondered if anyone had any advice. They've mentioned about him being out there by February but I would probably stay in the UK until the summer so the children could finish the school year. I was thinking that if the year thing was the case, then by staying in the UK for a bit longer then I'd only have 6 months to wait until I could work in Canada and that 6 months would be well spend being at home and getting the children settled.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pammy, I haven't but my husband has a few times. I'm happy to go without a visit depending on timelines - I'm a teacher so I'm limited as to when we could go and if we could get out by the end of the summer, we wouldn't have time for an exploratory trip too.

We've got our English tests booked for the next available test local to us. H has made contact with a couple of trucking companies over the last few days - one in Winnipeg and one in St Stephen in New Brunswick (two of the provinces we'd been looking at before we were told that EE would be an option for us). Both sounded very positive and are looking to hire foreign drivers. The one in NB said that they would be looking to get 2 LMIAs and so have invited him to send over his cv asap.

He was speaking to the chap about me as his spouse and the chap said that I may not be able to work for a year. I'm sure I've read in a few places that it wouldn't be as long as that. I'll have a look on CIC as soon as I can get on it but just wondered if anyone had any advice. They've mentioned about him being out there by February but I would probably stay in the UK until the summer so the children could finish the school year. I was thinking that if the year thing was the case, then by staying in the UK for a bit longer then I'd only have 6 months to wait until I could work in Canada and that 6 months would be well spend being at home and getting the children settled.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.
Trucking is not a skilled position so the spouse of a truck driver does not qualify for a work permit (even if the trucking job is supported by LMIA). Once you get PR, you are free to work but not until then.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Trucking is not a skilled position so the spouse of a truck driver does not qualify for a work permit (even if the trucking job is supported by LMIA). Once you get PR, you are free to work but not until then.
I also think teaching is specifically excluded from temporary foreign workers work permits. It is on mine anyway. As stated before you will need PR before you can work. I'd be surprised if they can obtain an LMIA by February and even then you may be in the EE pools for a while before being selected. Also don't forget to get any qualifications you have, and need for CRS points, validated before applying for EE.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I also think teaching is specifically excluded from temporary foreign workers work permits. It is on mine anyway. As stated before you will need PR before you can work. I'd be surprised if they can obtain an LMIA by February and even then you may be in the EE pools for a while before being selected. Also don't forget to get any qualifications you have, and need for CRS points, validated before applying for EE.
It's only excluded if you haven't had a medical. If you undergo an up-front medical prior to obtaining a work permit (or on applying to change the conditions on a current work permit) then that is removed.

Do I need a medical exam to get a work permit?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...exams-temp.asp
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Brazolot, although at the time it was Willis Brazolot. We were very happy with the service, but they were expensive and we could have done it ourselves. We are now nearly 5 years in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.