Re: Waiting for LMIA what next.

Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

TDph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiting for LMIA what next.

Hi all, I'm currently waiting on my LMIA to go though. I'm a plumber & have been lucky enough to be offered a job in Vancouver. I'm married with two children, have done my iltes & have enough funds. Due to the recent changes in job points I'm not sure of my best route to PR as at the moment I only score 290 points on crs calculator. Can we go on TWP for now & apply for PNP once in Vancouver or do we have to apply from the uk? If we did go on TWP 1st would we need medicals & police checks ect. Sorry for the long post any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tim
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TDph
Hi all, I'm currently waiting on my LMIA to go though. I'm a plumber & have been lucky enough to be offered a job in Vancouver. I'm married with two children, have done my iltes & have enough funds. Due to the recent changes in job points I'm not sure of my best route to PR as at the moment I only score 290 points on crs calculator. Can we go on TWP for now & apply for PNP once in Vancouver or do we have to apply from the uk? If we did go on TWP 1st would we need medicals & police checks ect. Sorry for the long post any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tim
Hi, congrats on the job offer. You can apply for PNP from Vancouver, assuming that you would qualify (i.e. enough points) and your employer is happy to do it?

You don't need medicals and police certs for a TWP (only those working in certain jobs need a medical for a TWP), you'll just need them for a PR app.

HTH and good luck, hope the LMIA is positive.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick response Christmasoompa. That's really reassuring. Ok how do you find out if you have enough points for PNP? & how long do Twp last for? As Canadian work experience & a red seal plumbing cert would boost my points. How would I go about getting Twp once LMIA is sorted? Thanks again tim
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick response Christmasoompa. That's really reassuring. Ok how do you find out if you have enough points for PNP? & how long do Twp last for? As Canadian work experience & a red seal plumbing cert would boost my points. How would I go about getting Twp once LMIA is sorted? Thanks again tim
Re: PNP eligibility, you need to look at the BC PNP website to see if you would qualify, there are a couple of streams you could apply under (EE or non EE), so check each to see which you would qualify for.

A TWP will usually be for a couple of years, but could be anywhere between 1 and 3 years, you won't know until the immi officer processes it how long they'll give you.

As for applying, have a look at the Wiki, you can either apply via a visa office if your employer is happy to wait, or just get the TWP at the airport when you arrive (that's how most on the forum do it), assuming you're a UK citizen. TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Your employer has submitted the LMIA application and paid the $1000 processing fee. They have to convince ESDC that that no qualified Canadians have applied for the job and the position has been advertised according to the rules on hiring foreign workers.
What contract will they be offering and wages etc will also be a factor. Some LMIAs if positive will only be for 12 months and some for 24 months.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-....html#h2.3-3.1

Being offered a job is one thing getting a positive LMIA is another.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Re: PNP eligibility, you need to look at the BC PNP website to see if you would qualify, there are a couple of streams you could apply under (EE or non EE), so check each to see which you would qualify for.

A TWP will usually be for a couple of years, but could be anywhere between 1 and 3 years, you won't know until the immi officer processes it how long they'll give you.

As for applying, have a look at the Wiki, you can either apply via a visa office if your employer is happy to wait, or just get the TWP at the airport when you arrive (that's how most on the forum do it), assuming you're a UK citizen. TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
That's great, I really appreciate all the help. It's a bit daunting looking at cic websites without a clue. I'll check out all the info you've given & no doubt be back with a million more questions. Thank you!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Your employer has submitted the LMIA application and paid the $1000 processing fee. They have to convince ESDC that that no qualified Canadians have applied for the job and the position has been advertised according to the rules on hiring foreign workers.
What contract will they be offering and wages etc will also be a factor. Some LMIAs if positive will only be for 12 months and some for 24 months.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-....html#h2.3-3.1

Being offered a job is one thing getting a positive LMIA is another.
Thanks for the reply, there just starting the Lmia now. Their happy to pay $1000 & the jobs been advertised ages without any suitable applicants. I know it's one thing getting a job offer & another getting a positive Lmia so fingers crossed.
Thanks Tim
Old Jan 31st 2017, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Twink1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I expect we may have the same questions along the way!! Also from the UK my partner has a job offer in Ontario and we are also waiting on LMIA..5 weeks so far hoping all is well. We have no degree for education points but have language test and funds too. 3 children so hopefully everything runs smoothly. We are currently looking at the Federal Skilled trades in the meantime while company tries to secure the LMIA then work permit..fingers crossed
Thanks Tim
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Twink1978, be great to hear how you get on & how long the process can take. Fingers crossed. Thanks Tim