Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Re-entering Usa After Receiving Canadian Pr

Re-entering Usa After Receiving Canadian Pr

Old Oct 31st 2004, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-entering Usa After Receiving Canadian Pr

Hey All,

Just wanted some of your opinions on how I can re-enter the United States after receiving Canadian PR. I might need to come back to the States for a week or 2 if I am unable to sell my house or need to settle other affairs.

I am currently here on an H1, but obviously I will need to give that up when I move to canada since I will no longer be working for my current employer in the States.

If I have Canadian PR will I be needing a US tourist visa to re-enter the USA? If so, will I need to obtain that visa from Canada or my country of citizenship?

THANKS A TON FOLKS!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re-entering Usa After Receiving Canadian Pr

Few things,
1) Re-Entry requirment varies for different nationalities. Citizens of some countries like UK, Aus, etc are not required to have valid visa before entering US.
2) You dont need to go back to your native country. You can send visa application to US Embassy in Canada. Look for their website. They might ask you to get an appointment first.
3) As per my info, as a resident you dont get any free entry benefit. You must have Canadian Passport (Citizenship) to avail those benefits.
4) Your H1B Visa will be valid even when you leave US. In the past it wont be a problem coming back for few weeks to wrap up the unfinished business but i have heard these days an Exit /Entry system is in place and a US immigration officer will interview you and will take your photograph and fingerprints.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:23 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Re-entering Usa After Receiving Canadian Pr

Originally Posted by viperrt10
Hey All,

Just wanted some of your opinions on how I can re-enter the United States after receiving Canadian PR. I might need to come back to the States for a week or 2 if I am unable to sell my house or need to settle other affairs.

I am currently here on an H1, but obviously I will need to give that up when I move to canada since I will no longer be working for my current employer in the States.

If I have Canadian PR will I be needing a US tourist visa to re-enter the USA? If so, will I need to obtain that visa from Canada or my country of citizenship?

THANKS A TON FOLKS!
If you have a good relationship with your current employer, you can ask for an unpaid leave. You finish your landing..... come back to the US and officially leave your job. By the way, your H1B status is valid until your employer asks the US authorities to terminate your status which most employers don't do anyway. The unpaid leave is a good idea because when you come back to the US and the immigration officer asks you who do you work for, you can answer without lying. This is my opinion...