British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Re-apply for PR after losing PR?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/re-apply-pr-after-losing-pr-942376/)

pac_les_man Jan 16th 2022 6:09 am

Re-apply for PR after losing PR??

if one moves abroad after getting PR... and stays out longer than 730 days ... do you have to do the whole drill again? express entry, CRS score and all.

christmasoompa Jan 16th 2022 6:49 am

Re: Re-apply for PR after losing PR??

Originally Posted by pac_les_man (Post 13088357)
if one moves abroad after getting PR... and stays out longer than 730 days ... do you have to do the whole drill again? express entry, CRS score and all.

Yep, usually. But it does depend, as some time abroad counts i.e. time with a Canadian spouse or time working abroad for a Canadian company. Either of those apply to you, if not then exactly how many days short are you?

PMM Jan 16th 2022 7:12 am

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088359)
Yep, usually. But it does depend, as some time abroad counts i.e. time with a Canadian spouse or time working abroad for a Canadian company. Either of those apply to you, if not then exactly how many days short are you?

1. Actually it would be 3 years outside Canada after "landing" that puts your PR in jeopardy. You don't automatically lose your PR status, if you are reported on entry, you have appeal rights, if you apply for a PRTD you again have appeals. If you enter Canada without being reported, then remain for 2 years, without being reported, then you would be back in compliance.

pac_les_man Jan 16th 2022 7:13 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088359)

neither case applies to me (no canadian spouse, no canadian company). i am just planning ahead to see if i can move out after getting the PR and be abroad for 3-5 years to take another offer in UK....but i didnt have enoug points in the first place and only managed to come through with a work permit... so if i am losing it... it sort of means saying goodbye to Canada and i really have to think it through

christmasoompa Jan 16th 2022 7:32 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 13088363)
Hi

1. Actually it would be 3 years outside Canada after "landing" that puts your PR in jeopardy. You don't automatically lose your PR status, if you are reported on entry, you have appeal rights, if you apply for a PRTD you again have appeals. If you enter Canada without being reported, then remain for 2 years, without being reported, then you would be back in compliance.

Which is exactly why I asked how many days short the OP was.

christmasoompa Jan 16th 2022 7:33 am

Originally Posted by pac_les_man (Post 13088364)
neither case applies to me (no canadian spouse, no canadian company). i am just planning ahead to see if i can move out after getting the PR and be abroad for 3-5 years to take another offer in UK....but i didnt have enoug points in the first place and only managed to come through with a work permit... so if i am losing it... it sort of means saying goodbye to Canada and i really have to think it through

Ah, then yes, you couldn’t do that without risking your PR status. Best to plan less time outside Canada, although if you’re already thinking about spending 3-5 years outside Canada and haven’t even got PR yet then is Canada the place for you anyway?

pac_les_man Jan 16th 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13088368)
if you’re already thinking about spending 3-5 years outside Canada and haven’t even got PR yet then is Canada the place for you anyway?

exactly... it's such a good offer from a financial and career perspective. but if it definitely buggars my PR... i know i will be 3-5 years older and definitely wont have enough points for express entry. so have to think it through really hard. Cheers