quickie about goods accompanying

Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quickie about goods accompanying

im just going to activate my visa then coming back after 2 weeks so will prepare my goods to follow list but as im only taking clothes for the holiday with me do i just put 3 x suitcase or do i have to list whats in the suitcase?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quickie about goods accompanying

Originally Posted by shazza69
im just going to activate my visa then coming back after 2 weeks so will prepare my goods to follow list but as im only taking clothes for the holiday with me do i just put 3 x suitcase or do i have to list whats in the suitcase?
If not coming to establish a residence then no lists required.
10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but ive heard conflicting accounts that its a matter of pot luck if you have to produce them so id rather take them just in case...any ideas then as to what i put..3 x suitcase
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If in doubt, check the Wiki -

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

bex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nicebex1 is just really nice

Is 3 suitcases all you wil be taking when you finally emigrate? I would take your list of everything you intend to take when you permanently go and it's value. We landed in Niagara land border and we told them we weren't settling but going back and they still made us submit our goods to follow, if we didn't then it wouldn't be valid. Now I wasn't going to argue with Border Control, so that's what we had to do. I think it depends on who you get :-(
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If unsure politely point this out to the BSO at the border

Who are Considered Settlers?
1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does depend on who you get and how well they know whats going on but print the regulations FL mentioned and take the print out with you. Honestly the border guys are just human, too. Nobody can know everything but we've always had nice ones that were happy to listen and check what we told them was right. I.e. when we landed CBSA asked us for funds, as we had been here for 2 years already and working we didn't need funds, we told the officer, he checked it and everything was fine.