Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quickest route for a partner of a CDN citizen

Quickest route for a partner of a CDN citizen

Old Sep 20th 2023, 1:24 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Sep 2023
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1
LogDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quickest route for a partner of a CDN citizen

I have dual citizenship (Brit/ CDN) and currently reside in Canada but visit the UK frequently. I am divorced and 55 years old and have just rekindled and reconnected with a previous partner from my early years in the UK. It was who I should of always been with and we are ecstatic that we are back together despite the distance involved and have another chance. She is also 55. I don't particularly want to leave Canada yet as I enjoy it and have roots by way of a home and son here but equally I don't see myself retiring here. My partner is very keen to join me and experience Canada and she wont necessarily need a full time job when getting here.

My question is how quick could she get residency and approval to join me and what route would we go to achieve this?

Secondly I understand that she can visit me and depending on the Immigration Officer at CBSA she could be granted up to a period of 6 months as long as she does not work here during that time. I believe proof of funds and a residential return address in the UK strengthens this which will not be an issue.

Lastly is the 6 months the max allowed in one year, as we are looking at a quick two weeks visit in March and then escaping to Cuba or such during that period. She would then go back to the UK via a quick Canada stop and look to return in June hopefully for 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
LogDog is offline  
Old Sep 20th 2023, 1:35 pm
Just Joined
Joined: Sep 2023
Posts: 13
MrMrsT2023 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quickest route for a partner of a CDN citizen

You need to either get married or live continuously for one year as common law before spousal sponsorship
she could come for 6 months, then you to the uk for a following 6 months if common law makes sense or you could get married, but you need to prove that the marriage wasn’t for immigration purposes which a short relationship could indicate.
it looks as though it could make sense for you to come to uk to establish a common law relationship then once a year has passed you could apply Outland, return together with her under dual intent and wait out her PR in Canada, but she wouldn’t be able to work whilst that was in process. There is no quick route I am afraid!
MrMrsT2023 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.