Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick Question - what to say at the border!

Quick Question - what to say at the border!

Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

1jerusha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick Question - what to say at the border!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your advice!

My situation is as follows: I want to move to Canada, and am leaving in a couple of weeks. I am moving because of my boyfriend (a Canadian citizen), and we're getting married in the UK in April (not sure about the legal part yet, but the reception will be in the UK, and is already booked). I have a British passport, and have just graduated from a UK uni. I originally planned to try and job hunt this summer, and go out on a TWV to start work in September. Due to the job market, my being a new graduate and mostly the visa offices strike, this hasn't happened, so I'm going out on an extended holiday (for 6 months), although I do plan to look for a job whilst there to get a TWV. After we get married, we'll return to Canada, at which point I'll enter having applied for spousal sponsorship in London, and hopefully at POE get a TR visa granted until my spousal PR visa comes through. (Unless of course I can enter as a TWV, but with dual intent to become a PR as soon as that comes through, but that's a side note!).

So my question is, what should I say at the border to convince the guy to let me in, and that I will not overstay? My two options, as I see it, are:

-I am going on an extended holiday to see friends, I'll attempt to get a TWV, but if this fails, I'll go back home because my employment prospects in the UK are good (I'm a chemistry graduate from a top uni). I'm not travelling with goods to follow, so this does stand up. This doesn't involve mentioning the boyfriend (I've heard that mentioning international relationships causes a lot of problems because they think you won't leave) - I've never mentioned a relationship when crossing the border before - just said I was going to see friends.

-I'm going to be with my boyfriend, we're getting married in the UK in April, and at that point I will come back and re-enter with a spousal visa having been applied for in London.

So which argument is more convincing in proving that I will not overstay? Or do you have any other suggestions? I'm probably over concerned about this, but on the two occasions that I've visited, I've been heavily questioned even though I have a return flight booked for a couple of weeks later (haven't this time), and didn't mention the boyfriend. They calmed down as soon as I said I was returning to uni, but of course this time I'm not!

On a side note, I've got $7,500 to support myself which I transferred from my bank into my boyfriend's bank yesterday - I'll bring my bank statements showing that I did have the money, and I can get his saying that he currently has it - so it's fairly obvious that it was transferred, but since the money in Canada is not in my name, will this be a problem? Anything I can do about this? Obviously if I have to explain that it's in my boyfriend's account, this then makes it look very likely that I'm not going to leave, so makes me think I should go with the second story.

Both stories are completely true, it's just a bit of a complicated situation, so I'm not sure how much info it is wise to give. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Question - what to say at the border!

Ah the sea of red flags story.
Keep the bank account in your name although already transferring it into a joint account is red flag #1
It appears that you are currently unemployed red flag #2
Im guessing you dont own property in the UK red flag #3
Will you have a return ticket and if not red flag #4
You stated you looked for a job and the possibility of a TWV red flag #5

Basically you tell the truth. you state you have a boyfriend in Canada and it is your intention to get married next year in the UK and he will then sponsor you to come to Canada. Show CBSA that you have sufficient funds to look after yourself thats why the account should be in your name NOT HIS.
You must have an idea when you are going back so book an open end return ticket.
At the end of the day regardless it will be the examining officers decision on how long to give you regardless of which story you tell or even lie about the reason for the visit.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1jerusha
Hi all,

My situation is as follows: I want to move to Canada, and am leaving in a couple of weeks. I am moving because of my boyfriend (a Canadian citizen), and we're getting married in the UK in April (not sure about the legal part yet, but the reception will be in the UK, and is already booked).

I have a British passport, and have just graduated from a UK uni. I originally planned to try and job hunt this summer, and go out on a TWV to start work in September. Due to the job market, my being a new graduate and mostly the visa offices strike, this hasn't happened, so I'm going out on an extended holiday (for 6 months), although I do plan to look for a job whilst there to get a TWV. After we get married, we'll return to Canada, at which point I'll enter having applied for spousal sponsorship in London, and hopefully at POE get a TR visa granted until my spousal PR visa comes through. (Unless of course I can enter as a TWV, but with dual intent to become a PR as soon as that comes through, but that's a side note!).

So my question is, what should I say at the border to convince the guy to let me in, and that I will not overstay? My two options, as I see it, are:

-I am going on an extended holiday to see friends, I'll attempt to get a TWV, but if this fails, I'll go back home because my employment prospects in the UK are good (I'm a chemistry graduate from a top uni). I'm not travelling with goods to follow, so this does stand up. This doesn't involve mentioning the boyfriend (I've heard that mentioning international relationships causes a lot of problems because they think you won't leave) - I've never mentioned a relationship when crossing the border before - just said I was going to see friends.

-I'm going to be with my boyfriend, we're getting married in the UK in April, and at that point I will come back and re-enter with a spousal visa having been applied for in London.

So which argument is more convincing in proving that I will not overstay? Or do you have any other suggestions? I'm probably over concerned about this, but on the two occasions that I've visited, I've been heavily questioned even though I have a return flight booked for a couple of weeks later (haven't this time), and didn't mention the boyfriend. They calmed down as soon as I said I was returning to uni, but of course this time I'm not!

On a side note, I've got $7,500 to support myself which I transferred from my bank into my boyfriend's bank yesterday - I'll bring my bank statements showing that I did have the money, and I can get his saying that he currently has it - so it's fairly obvious that it was transferred, but since the money in Canada is not in my name, will this be a problem? Anything I can do about this? Obviously if I have to explain that it's in my boyfriend's account, this then makes it look very likely that I'm not going to leave, so makes me think I should go with the second story.

Both stories are completely true, it's just a bit of a complicated situation, so I'm not sure how much info it is wise to give. Thanks in advance
It has nothing to do with any strike. You can't apply for a TWP (Temporary Work Permit) without a job offer, unless you were to apply inland as a spousal applicant and wait 6 months for an open work permit. (Not recommended, by the time you get to 1st stage approval 'inland' you would be almost completed processing as a PR 'outland')

In answer to your questions:

I would not recommend telling them that you are here looking for work.

I would recommend being honest, saying you are visiting your fiance and are returning with them to the UK to get married in April - show them the arrangements you have made as proof. Show that you have sufficient money to support yourself and a return ticket.

You will be given a temporary visitor stamp in your passport which will be valid for up to 6 months.

You won't be coming back to Canada with a spousal visa in April. Once you are married you will make an application for sponsorship by your spouse and processing will take between 4 and 10 months to obtain PR. On re-entry to Canada after the wedding you can show that you have an application submitted (keep a copy of the fee's receipt to show them) and ask for a 1 year visitor stamp. You will need to show (again) that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and the means to purchase a return ticket should your application not be successful.

You could also apply for an IEC working holiday visa/permit if you are under 31 when it re-opens in December/January, which would allow you to work whilst your PR application is in progress.

I would suggest you sit down and have a quick read of the wiki about spousal sponsorship so that you know how the process works - and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada

(You were probably questioned because you were coming to Canada without any particular reason for it!)

Edit: +1 for what Former Lancastrian said (He is a Border Service Officer, so knows the red flags!)
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

1jerusha is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks for the info both

Siouxie - thanks, yeah I do know what I need to about the TWP and getting PR through spousal sponsorship, guess I just didn't express myself clearly. Hadn't occurred to me to get an IEC visa (I'm 21, so should be fine) - thanks!

As far as the 'red flags' go - I won't mention anything about work then!! I have since researched health care etc, and decided that the best idea is to get travel insurance (as I'm not working so not eligible for OHIP), for which I need a return flight, so I will have that.

As a 21 year old recent graduate, I don't see that I can be expected to be a home/property owner, or necessarily to have a job (why would I, given the plans that I am making to move to Canada?), so not sure that I can do anything here.

On your advice, I'm trying to first of all get my name put on my boyfriend's account, or open an account in my name. I don't see the latter happening without me being there in person tbh, and I transferred the money when I did b/c the exchange rate was the best it's been all year (makes a difference of about $300 when you're transferring that much), but in hindsight it would probably have been better to have it still in my name. I'll see what I can do.

I will get the money transfer records and copies of all the bank statements concerned, and also the booking for the wedding venue that we've made - but it's only a barn on a farm in Surrey ... not exactly convincing proof! We haven't sorted out the legal bit yet b/c he will need a UK visa, so that's complicated too.

Still, thanks for the info - I'll try and make as convincing a case as I can for the fact that I won't overstay, and that I've got the money.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:38 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks for the info both

Siouxie - thanks, yeah I do know what I need to about the TWP and getting PR through spousal sponsorship, guess I just didn't express myself clearly. Hadn't occurred to me to get an IEC visa (I'm 21, so should be fine) - thanks!

As far as the 'red flags' go - I won't mention anything about work then!! I have since researched health care etc, and decided that the best idea is to get travel insurance (as I'm not working so not eligible for OHIP), for which I need a return flight, so I will have that.

As a 21 year old recent graduate, I don't see that I can be expected to be a home/property owner, or necessarily to have a job (why would I, given the plans that I am making tkkiio move to Canada?), so not sure that I can do anything here.

On your advice, I'm trying to first of all get my name put on my boyfriend's account, or open an account in my name. I don't see the latter happening without me being there in person tbh, and I transferred the money when I did b/c the exchange rate was the best it's been all year (makes a difference of about $300 when you're transferring that much), but in hindsight it would probably have been better to have it still in my name. I'll see what I can do.

I will get the money transfer records and copies of all the bank statements concerned, and also the booking for the wedding venue that we've made - but it's only a barn on a farm in Surrey ... not exactly convincing proof! We haven't sorted out the legal bit yet b/c he will need a UK visa, so that's complicated too.

Still, thanks for the info - I'll try and make as convincing a case as I can for the fact that I won't overstay, and that I've got the money.
Tell the truth, it's always more convincing. Former Lancastrian knows his stuff, read his post carefully.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:03 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

My situation is as follows: I want to move to Canada, and am leaving in a couple of weeks. I am moving because of my boyfriend (a Canadian citizen), and we're getting married in the UK in April (not sure about the legal part yet, but the reception will be in the UK, and is already booked). I have a British passport, and have just graduated from a UK uni. I originally planned to try and job hunt this summer, and go out on a TWV to start work in September. Due to the job market, my being a new graduate and mostly the visa offices strike, this hasn't happened, so I'm going out on an extended holiday (for 6 months), although I do plan to look for a job whilst there to get a TWV.
through the eyes of a slow thinking old person, the only part that made sense to me was what I highlighted

You arrive- at passport control the

CBSA is likely to ask you 'where do you live' (including specific details) & what is the purpose of your visit to Canada. They may also ask if you are working in the UK

you: 'I'm here on holiday visiting my boyfriend'

CBSA - let me see your return ticket & do you have the contact (confirming) details of this boyfriend?

you: Her ya go

CBSA - How much money are you bringing in with you

you: this much

Last edited by not2old; Aug 30th 2013 at 1:14 am.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:36 am
Just Joined

taylor26 is an unknown quantity at this point

From a guy that got turned away from entering in 2010 looking to travel for 6 months vister visa.....my advice...tell the truth and nothing but .

If they suspect something is amiss they will send you home, and it could stop you from entering for awhile.

Saying that I did return 2 days later and have been here ever since, married with a child and nearing the end of a very long and stressful PR application.

Just tell them your wedding plans , with proof and make sure you have a return flight.

I would transfer that money back into your uk account, they will want proff it is your money.Having your name on his Canadian account will just set alarm bells ringing.

Also they WILL contact your boyfriend to confirm what you are saying is true and any other contact name they find on your person or in your luggage.....that I am not joking about.

Truth be told I had a nightmare with them.